cruiseport los angeles

zula

Hello,

Can someone tell me which cruiseport Oceania uses in Los Angeles? From what I can read there are two cruiseports. Have any of you tried the excursions in Los Angeles with Oceania? We don't have a flight back the same day to Europe (not one with good connections).

Thank you for any answers.

Regards,

Sonja

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if there are rental car drop offs nearby? I see that Enterprise has a location, but they don't generally allow pickup in one location (LAX) and dropoff in another. Also interested in any Marriotts/Hiltons (so I can use points for a pre-departure stay) in the area. I know there are some over in Long Beach, about 2-3 miles away.

I'll be in Long Beach in January and plan on checking out the area of the San Pedro cruise terminal.

Thanks!:o

I'm not sure why you say Enterprise in LA doesn't allow drop off at another location. I'm a native Angeleno although I've been living in NYC for many years. I've rented cars from Enterprise in the past that permitted drop-offs at other locations, you just PAY for it.

There are plenty of rental agencies in that general area.

Then again, I've been living in NYC so long that maybe I'm totally wrong here!

Mura

I'm not sure why you say Enterprise in LA doesn't allow drop off at another location. I'm a native Angeleno although I've been living in NYC for many years. I've rented cars from Enterprise in the past that permitted drop-offs at other locations, you just PAY for it.

Mura

I hate to disagree with you again, Mura, but I've had a great deal of experience with car rental companies which disallow one way rentals of all kinds.

Sometimes it is a franchise issue, other times the traffic is so overwhelmingly in one direction that they have difficulty in repositioning the cars.

In August I rented a car at the Enterprise airport outlet which had a problem. When I took it to a location closer to where I was staying (Brentwood) they did tell me they couldn't exchange a car rented at the airport, I'd have to take it back there -- which was highly inconvenient.

But I have also rented cars at LAX that were returned to other locations -- maybe none of them were Enterprise, but I'm quite positive I've been able to do that with Hertz.

Since there are so many rental agencies at LAX, it's worth checking around to see if this indeed can be done.

As I said before, assuming you can it will cost more than a non-airport rental would cost.

It's certainly understandable that a car rental agency at an airport wants to make sure it has enough cars for all the airport passengers coming through.

Mura

In August I rented a car at the Enterprise airport outlet which had a problem. When I took it to a location closer to where I was staying (Brentwood) they did tell me they couldn't exchange a car rented at the airport, I'd have to take it back there -- which was highly inconvenient.

But I have also rented cars at LAX that were returned to other locations -- maybe none of them were Enterprise, but I'm quite positive I've been able to do that with Hertz.

Since there are so many rental agencies at LAX, it's worth checking around to see if this indeed can be done.

As I said before, assuming you can it will cost more than a non-airport rental would cost.

It's certainly understandable that a car rental agency at an airport wants to make sure it has enough cars for all the airport passengers coming through.

Mura

Enterprise is something of a budget car rental agency as compared with Hertz.

Although they are slightly more costly. the latter company offers much better service, more flexibility and a generally customer positive attitude which is missing from the Dollar, Enterprise, Budget brigade.

Hertz also has a "second driver free" policy which makes them our first choice in car rentals, when there is an option.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the merits of Hertz over Enterprise, but I tend to go with the bargain I can get! Having said that, on two major trips with our Danish friends to U.S. national parks -- both involving about 3,000 miles of travel -- we used Hertz.

But when visiting at home I look for the best bargain I can find, and sometimes that's been Hertz, sometimes Enterprise -- once this past year it was with Budget.

But it finally dawned on me that if I added in the cab fare to my Mom's house and back to the airport when I was leaving, the cheaper non-airport rental wasn't cheaper at all! So the past few trips where I had to rent a car I opted for an airport rental.

Which may explain why I've been so convinced that you can do a one-way airport rental ...

Does anyone know if there are rental car drop offs nearby? I see that Enterprise has a location, but they don't generally allow pickup in one location (LAX) and dropoff in another. Also interested in any Marriotts/Hiltons (so I can use points for a pre-departure stay) in the area. I know there are some over in Long Beach, about 2-3 miles away.

I'll be in Long Beach in January and plan on checking out the area of the San Pedro cruise terminal.

Thanks!:o

The question is one of what you need the rental car for...

I an assuming you are flying into LAX and embarking at San Pedro?

Are you using the car for several days or just using it for basic transportation from airport to port?

If the former, you will likely have to take the car back to LAX and catch a shuttle or taxi back to the pier...or, with Hertz, you might return the car in Long Beach or Torrance and get a taxi from there...

It's no9t convenient, but most rental companies just don't have a location in San Pedro...

As to hotels, there are only two hotels in San Pedro I recommend--the Crowne Plaza--which is in the heart of Downtown San Pedro, near restaurants...and the Doubletree--which is down by the Marina in a nicer setting but slightly less convenient...But BOTH hotels will shuttle you to the pier for free and the Doubletree will shuttle you to area restaurants as well...

The Doubletree IS a Hilton product...

Long Beach, BTW, at least the nicer hotels, are NOT 2-3 miles away...They are about 7-9 miles away...The Los Angeles/Long Beach harbor is MASSIVE and it is a long way across from San Pedro, on the Western side, to Long Beach on the Eastern side...

If you are just staying here for the night before you embark, I highly recommend staying in San Pedro...You should find the Doubletree very nice...

If you can't get the San Pedro Doubletree, for some reason, then get the Hilton or Maya Doubletree in Long Beach with Hilton points or the Renaissance or Residence Inn Downtown with Marriott points...Of these, the Renaissance would be my clear favorite...The Doubletree and Residence Inn are across the channel near the Carnival cruise pier...the Renaissance and Hilton are closer to restaurants and shopping...There is also a Marriot in Torrance near the Del Amo Mall...BUT with any of these, you will have a cabn ride to get to the pier in the morning...

Good luck...

Mura

I've rented a car from that San Pedro Enterprise lot (right across the street from the cruise ship dock) and dropped it off in the San Diego area where we live. No problem. Also rented from Enterprise at LAX (twice) for a one-way to San Diego area; again no problem. You do pay a drop-off fee -- about $25 I recall.

Thanks, folks.....I appreciate the info! We will likely fly into LAX a day early, so we will be driving around some. I was figuring I could do the taxi bit, but thought if I could drop the car right at the cruise terminal it would be easiest. I'm not an Enterprise fan otherwise. Glad to know that the Doubletree has a shuttle to the port.

Archived