excursions tipping

cruizer1001

Iv never heard of any private excursion that includes the tip?? (previous post). I have tipped $20 which for me is a lot, for a really good all day excursion.. or nothing for one I didnt care for that much. I also dont like the guides to ASK for tips, what a turn off. (that happened on my last Carnival Tulum excursion).

If you feel you got more from the excursion than you paid for, then a tip is in order. It's not a "must do", tho. It really depends on how you feel at the end of the excursion! We've been on some that are little more than transportation...no tip for that! And, we've been on some excursions where we felt the guide went above and beyond....those, we tipped!

We generally tip $20 for the two of us, maybe more if they are really good and enjoyable guides. :)

ETA: We generally book excursions privately, but would probably still tip some extra on a good excursion booked through the ship.

We always carry a little cash on excursions, for small purchases and tip $$. However, we don't base the tip on the price of the excursion, since ship excursions are way over-priced -- compared to the private tour operators. We base our tip on the overall enjoyment factor, as well as who went "above and beyond" to make it a great experience. :cool:

Archived