TA's Holding Cabins

barbon2

Nor mine, for that matter. $900? I've never been asked for more than $500, even for a suite.

MaBelle is completely right; depending on the length of the cruise the deposit can be as little as $100 per person up to over $500. We just booked the GAlaxy for Oct, deposit $900.00. Normally the deposti will be about $250 per person and it really has little to do with suites or inside cabin. NMnita

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth, even if it isn't worth 2 cents. A few of you are assuming the big group holds are only for internet companies, many small agencies are affiliated with national chains and can hold cabins as well; your little mom and pop place in downtown any town can often meet or come close to meeting the internet rates. Always give it a chance and yes, service is better from your local agency. that being said, there is nothing wrong with agencies holding group space. It may not be something any of you or even me like, but it's business. XYZ company assures ABC cruise line for the right price they will push the line. XYZ sells ABC lines alot: ABC makes money on XYZs pushing of the product; sure they will let the TA company hold a number of cabins. NMnita

MaBelle is completely right; depending on the length of the cruise the deposit can be as little as $100 per person up to over $500. We just booked the GAlaxy for Oct, deposit $900.00. Normally the deposti will be about $250 per person and it really has little to do with suites or inside cabin. NMnita
Something goofy going on here -- we booked a suite in the Galaxy for a 12 nt. for December '05, and were only asked for $500 ($250pp). I hadn't heard that they were increasing the amounts of deposits, but it certainly seems to be the case. Was there any explanation for the increase when you booked?

Canderson: Regarding the Millie sailing in May that you posted about, I believe that is the transatlantic cruise and you are correct the prices are just unbelievable. I think most cruisers do not want to do a transatlantic because the one way airfare would be so high. Most of the cruise lines have their transatlantic cruises deeply discounted. Three weeks ago I could have booked an aft CC cabin on that Millie transatlantic for about $100pp per day. Who would think an aft cabin would be available so close to sail date and at such a good rate for CC. Now that same sailing can be booked for less than $100 per day pp for a balcony cabin.

Canderson: Regarding the Millie sailing in May that you posted about, I believe that is the transatlantic cruise and you are correct the prices are just unbelievable. I think most cruisers do not want to do a transatlantic because the one way airfare would be so high. Most of the cruise lines have their transatlantic cruises deeply discounted. Three weeks ago I could have booked an aft CC cabin on that Millie transatlantic for about $100pp per day. Who would think an aft cabin would be available so close to sail date and at such a good rate for CC. Now that same sailing can be booked for less than $100 per day pp for a balcony cabin.

Missylou, it's amazing how the prices change: we are getting an awesome deal on the Galaxy transatlantic from Rome in Oct, $1140 per person, deluxe outside (not CC though) but this same cabin is now $1290, still a great deal yet quite an increase in less than a month. NMNita

Canderson: Regarding the Millie sailing in May that you posted about, I believe that is the transatlantic cruise and you are correct the prices are just unbelievable.
Actually, it was the May 15th 12 nt Med cruise(!), making the price being quoted ELSEWHERE (not on the X web site!) all that much better.

Let me toss out a new example, and yes, this is a high season cruise we're talking about here -- Constellation, 2 July 05.

Celebrity Web Price, CC Cabin, $4850 per person

Un-named TA Price, CC Cabin, $3558.40 per person (aft available!)

Anyone still talking about a "level playing field" out there? Stick "$3558.40" into your favorite search engine just once.

TA's don't "hold lots of cabins" They sign a contract for block space. They are not just "given" these cabins, the size of the block and cabin locations are based on a TA"s track record.

Your TA may hold a cabin or two for you while you decide, but the financial requirements for a large block of space are hefty.

AND yes, these TA's market the ehck out of the space!

They have release dates so they cruise line can determine how sales are going, they DO NOT get all prime cabins, some are real dogs!

It is something that agents and cruiselines have done for years and years....It serves both very well.

Canderson,

I am on the July 2, 2005 cruise you describe and the post is very interesting to me. I booked the cruise within 5 minutes of the itinerary going on sale and no aft cabins were available.

I did the google search and saw the ad you referred to. The price for the CC and the 2B (one I booked) are the list prices for those categories on the day booking became available nearly a year ago. I don't know how valid the web site is now, but it does annoy me that I couldn't get an aft while they were obviously released to some agents before cabins were even available to the general public.

Jerry

Seems like there are other posts that refer to this. See 2 new subjects, "Last Minute Deals", and "Lots of Cabins left Fri., sold out Mon". These new posts tie into this thread, re releasing cabins that are not sold out. That is why we are seeing so many really cheap deals a month or so before a sailing.

I don't know how valid the web site is now, but it does annoy me that I couldn't get an aft while they were obviously released to some agents before cabins were even available to the general public.

Jerry

You'd find the current ad 100% valid. In spite of the changes Celebrity has made, I cannot overemphasize the need for careful shopping!

The site in question does not often have such rates on the specific cruise I'm looking to take (maybe about 20% of the time), but if a person is a bit more flexible about schedule, the savings can be considerable. It's kind of a crap shoot as to which ones they block early.

Seems like there are other posts that refer to this. See 2 new subjects, "Last Minute Deals", and "Lots of Cabins left Fri., sold out Mon". These new posts tie into this thread, re releasing cabins that are not sold out. That is why we are seeing so many really cheap deals a month or so before a sailing.
Just a side note -- the example I provided has been posted at that site for quite some time and is for a July cruise. This isn't a "last minute" deal. In many cases, it isn't necessary to do a last minute scramble for air fare, etc. Some careful shopping may well avoid all that.

In some part, what you are seeing are agents who have contracted for cabins at a particular rate at the time these itineraries were announced, and instead of gouging their customers as Celebrity ratchets up their prices, they charge you the original (and less expensive) price less a smidgen.

Barbara,

I found space on the 12/10 Constellation-got a good rate too. I wanted that itinerary and the 12/17 was a little different. I wanted a balcony 2C and got it,but they also had insides and outsides. You are right though, TA do hold space way in advance and get better rates. And I am glad to get to take advantage of these rates-:)

I will have to look into Cruise Connections when I get a chance-I am new to this.

On my 12/10 Constellation cruise, I booked my cruise about 3 months ago, and it was into group space held by the agency. Rates are about $400 less than on Travelocity or Orbitz too-probably because it is group space.

What do you do onboard with Cruise Connections? My husband and I are loners-usually just crash on a cruise.

Crooz,

Cruise Connections in only a get together party that Celebrity will have if 25 people sign up on Cruise Critic. You are not obligated to come and there is no charge for this, it is just a chance for you to put faces on the people who post on these boards.

We are booked on the Constellation for 11/26/05. Some friends of ours wanted to go on the same trip but couldn't so they looked at 12/10 and there was nothing available. All of a sudden, rooms opened up but at a much higher price than our cruise. We thought of changing to go with them, but there is a huge disparity in price. It seems unfair that agencies can book group space, then return them to inventory but still the cruiseline charges inflated prices. Last year the Dec 10 prices were very low according to some cruise critics. By the way, we booked this cruise when we were on the Constellation Dec 4, 2004 cruise. I know our prices have gone up, but nothing like the Dec 10, 2005 cruises. Supply and demand do change prices, but sometimes artificially so.

Katie

By the way...............who is this "agency" that everyone speaks of with such low discounts?? Was just wondering.

Barbara

email me at "earl dot anderson at comcast dot net" and I'll send along a suggestion. I'm sure there are several, but I keep noticing some of the best deals (and cabins) at one in particular.

You may email me at crooz at sbcglobal.net for further info on the Constellation 12/10 cruise and the prices I got. It can be dissapointing to not get a cruise you want-but there is still space out there on this one.

I Have A Feeling Tas May Or May Not Be Holding The Cabins You Are Looking For. I Found Many Many Cabins Unavailable For Winter 2006 Sailing. Another Cc Member Suggested I Put In The Number 3 For The Number Of Persons In A Cabin Instead Of 2 And Sure Enough All Cabins Appeared. When I Called And Asked Celebrity About It, They Told Me All The 2 Person Cabins Were Filled!!!!(balconies) And Only 3 Person Cabins Were Left. My Ta Told Me She N E V E R Heard Of This Before, But Is Obviously A Way To Mak More Money. P.s. Concierge Class Cabins Were Readily Available For A Price. I Was Looking For 2a, 2b, Or 2c.

The new pricing policy is responsible for this mess. Big TA/online companies are snapping up big chunks of cabins and RCI has been very lax in making the companies go to full deposits in a timely manner. The result of all of this is that 70-60 days before the sailing there are a lot of cabins coming back on the market. This problem is supposed to be corrected this May. RCI will require the bloc bookings to go to full dposits ($450 pp) sooner than later.

ROSS

Well I do hope this new deposit policy comes into effect. Perhaps this will give everyone a fair playing field. I understand the policy of ta's holding blocks of rooms and pushing a particular line, but I do think it is unfair that these cabins are held for so long and are then dropped 60 days prior to a particular cruise. What I don't understand is who is really gaining here? The consumer does not get the cabin they want, and in the end the cruiseline ends up with as excess of cabins at a lower price. Perhaps if these blocks were not held, the cabins would be booked as per demand.

Barbara

Archived