Riots in downtown Vancouver

Well, no one here is actually apologizing for their physical part in any of this, of course; we are simply being empathetic and feeling compassion and sadness for the now-tarnished reputation of our city. When you feel sadness for someone due to a loss, you say "I'm sorry." That's what we mean. :)

Being from Boston, I almost feel like I want to apologize for the Bruins having won. It isn't worth violence in any city.

The Bruins played the better game and deserved to win Game 7. Congratulations!

The riot would have happened win or lose. Trouble makers came downtown specifically to riot. They came prepared with masks, bottles, kerosene and rocks. What followed was mob mentality.

An embarrassment to the Province.

Rockfan2 :(

Thanks Mr JDM for the update - given how mad people are I suspect a lot of video will be forwarded to the police - these thugs have to realize that the social media can work both ways.

Dennis

Last i heard about 150 people already and more to come. The Province will be releasing 5 pages full of pictures from evidence found. They sure deserve what coming for them now. But the city is back to normal now. Alot of people called in sick for work today to help volunteer and clean up the mess in downtown. Now those are the real Canucks fan!

Last i heard about 150 people already and more to come. The Province will be releasing 5 pages full of pictures from evidence found. They sure deserve what coming for them now. But the city is back to normal now. Alot of people called in sick for work today to help volunteer and clean up the mess in downtown. Now those are the real Canucks fan!

I so agree and it made for a slightly better day hearing about this.....we had a heavy work load or would have caught the ferry over. Everyone I talked to is sickened by what occured last night......just the fact I had a much frightened very loved sister over there (none of them got much sleep last night). I am waiting for the day they arrested and throw in jail all the thugs that made last night happen.

Just came back from the war zone and except for the Bay which stillhas all of it windows boarded up most other businesses seem to be getting back to normal - the sidewalk cafes were busy - also the plywood covering the windows are being signed with messages supporting the hockey club, the city and condeming the thugs - will be interested how soon after the pictures are released that the lawyers will attempt to take over the spin.

This time the city is mad and they may get a very chilly reception.

Dennis

Being from Boston, I almost feel like I want to apologize for the Bruins having won. It isn't worth violence in any city.

It wasn't about hockey. At the game, Tim Thomas was given a standing ovation for his fabulous run during the playoffs. I read somewhere that the fans booed when Boston got the cup. No, they booed Bettman. People stayed to the very end and applauded Boston.

This riot would have happened even if Vancouver had won. The people who got it going were ready to haul away merchandise in the looting and knew where and how they would hit. All it took was a few thousand drunken loots to give them good cover.

Viv

There are many people coming forward either turning themselves in or helping to identify the culprits - while we are off the topic of cruising we are on the topic mentioned in this thread - here`s a web site started by a mad disgusted citizen who is calling himself Captain Vancouver - he is posting pictures identifing some of the idiots.

http://publicshamingeternus.wordpress.com/

Interesting to see the bios on some of the people.

So far I don`t think the ring leaders have been found just the stupid dumb followers who will pay the bigger price.

While I have simmered down a lot I am still hurting that these people wore team colors and don`t care about this city yet claim to be hockey fans

Cheers

Dennis

It wasn't about hockey. At the game, Tim Thomas was given a standing ovation for his fabulous run during the playoffs. I read somewhere that the fans booed when Boston got the cup. No, they booed Bettman. People stayed to the very end and applauded Boston.

This riot would have happened even if Vancouver had won. The people who got it going were ready to haul away merchandise in the looting and knew where and how they would hit. All it took was a few thousand drunken loots to give them good cover.

Viv

No apologies from this Boston fan who has waited 39 long years for another cup. I agree that your hockey fans showed a lot of class. But your government and your police let you down. Allowing over 100,000 to congregate in one place and not having a plan to deal with the mayhem was inexcusable since this happened before in Vancouver. I will do an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver. But I'll wait until July to do it.

Thanks for your comments regarding the riot in Vancouver - one of the criticisms of the 1994 riot was that they was no place for the fans to let off steam - the idea of the open areas was first used for the Olympics and worked very well - perhaps because of a much

heavier police presence or because we won the Gold Medal Game people stayed happy -I too wonder what would have happened if all those Olympic fans had to face a Canadian loss

Here`s some comments I posted on another thread about the riot based on some new infor that is starting to emerge about the planning of the event.

It now appears that the police chief asked on at least two occasions for additional money for extra manpower and was told to use his existing budget - the City is finding $5000 for a pilot project to grow wheat on our front lawns and found $25,000 for a shelter for homeless chickens - yes I am serious about that one - you can raised chickens in your back yard but if you tire of them or they don`t lay enough eggs the City will house them for you - over $250,000 to expand the Mayor`s office - claims it is too small but all former living mayors stated there was nothing wrong with the office except perhaps the person in it.

So far the telfon covered mayor has weathered the storm because of his high priced American spin doctors - it is election year for him so perhaps as the event gets reviewed it will show him to be what he really is.

HAPPY FATHER`S DAY everyone.

Cheers

Dennis

But I'll wait until July to do it-

Does that mean one of two things

1. that the Canucks will be playing hockey again next June

2. that if we are playing it won`t be against Boston - why wouldn`t you want to be in Vancouver if the Bruins are playing in the final.

Don`t think i posted it on this thread but my late mother was born in Boston and my maternal grandparents married there and I still have a couple of elderly cousins who are Catholic nuns who live in the Boston area so i have some roots to that great City - i have enjoyed my visits there and hope to do some more cruising out of there in the future.

Cheers

Viv

I completely agree. I'm still shaken and mad about what happened.

Our office closed at 3pm so that everyone could get home for the game. I work DT but live in Richmond and take the Canada LIne everyday. The number of drunken fools that I saw at 3:30pm heading downtown baffled me. They were even using the bushes surrounding the parkade as a toilet. I knew there was going to be trouble, you could just feel it in the air. This was premeditated and would have happened irregardless.

The riot made worldwide news, it's just a shame that cleanup by Vancouver citizens didn't.

But I'll wait until July to do it-

Does that mean one of two things

1. that the Canucks will be playing hockey again next June

2. that if we are playing it won`t be against Boston - why wouldn`t you want to be in Vancouver if the Bruins are playing in the final.

Don`t think i posted it on this thread but my late mother was born in Boston and my maternal grandparents married there and I still have a couple of elderly cousins who are Catholic nuns who live in the Boston area so i have some roots to that great City - i have enjoyed my visits there and hope to do some more cruising out of there in the future.

Cheers

I don't want to be anywhere near Vancouver during the end of the Stanley Cup Finals because I expect the Canucks to be back. I would like to think that your Mayor would learn from his very stupid decision to allow over 100,000 people to congregate in the streets. If nothing else, it provided "cover" to the thugs who planned a riot, win or lose. But since the mayor is not taking responsibility and simply blaming "hooligans", maybe he hasn't. Vancouver deserves better. You have great hockey fans and a beautiful city. Boston isn't perfect and the city has learned from its mistakes.

Hey Dennis,

I would love to do an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver. I can watch the Bruins in Boston anytime (season ticket holder). I think your team will be playing home games in June again in the upcoming years. Just not sure I want to be around when your mayor believes getting over 100,000 people together in a relatively small space makes sense. Besides, Vancouver and Alaska are probably better in July.

Good luck with the aftermath of this thing.

Vegas bookies already have us a favorites for next season and the Bruins not far behind.

While I have no use for this mayor much of the idea of the large fan areas came from the success of the Olympics and seemed to be supported by most people as the way to go - it will be interesting to see how this plays out - it is civic election year - so the blamed game is already being ramped up.

In theory July should have better weather than May or June for Alaska but I think the rainfall totals for May are lower than the summer months. In May you get the lingering snow pack on the Coastal mountains which makes more dramatic scencery that much more spectacular.

There is another web site that has surfaced on the rioters.

http://www.canucksriot2011.com

Cheers

Dennis

Vegas bookies already have us a favorites for next season and the Bruins not far behind.

While I have no use for this mayor much of the idea of the large fan areas came from the success of the Olympics and seemed to be supported by most people as the way to go - it will be interesting to see how this plays out - it is civic election year - so the blamed game is already being ramped up.

In theory July should have better weather than May or June for Alaska but I think the rainfall totals for May are lower than the summer months. In May you get the lingering snow pack on the Coastal mountains which makes more dramatic scencery that much more spectacular.

There is another web site that has surfaced on the rioters.

www.canucksriot2011.com

Cheers

Dennis

July is the best time for us to cruise and we will look for a Princess cruise out of Vancouver three years out. It's on the list. Can't wait.

I guess it's hard to blame this one on your police. I think most people see Vancouver as a beautiful and safe city. I disagree with your elected officials about thinking that they were out of the woods just because there were no riots for the Winter Olympics. We'll see what happens.

Two notable differences: multiple large fan areas for the Olympics vs. one for the Canucks, and the massive RCMP and Canadian Forces presence during the Olympics which the city police could not dream of replicating.

Two notable differences: multiple large fan areas for the Olympics vs. one for the Canucks, and the massive RCMP and Canadian Forces presence during the Olympics which the city police could not dream of replicating.

and you forgot to mention all the other Police Forces from Across Canada that were represented here during the Olympics also.

But I still think we were "Lucky" during the Olympics not to have something go off.

I was really disappointed in the planning for the cup run however and having a bit of experience at riots in the past thought they were sure pushing the envelope with the huge gatherings that I saw during the games leading up to the final. I was not surprised by the mess after game 7.

I was impressed that they were able to cool things off in a relatively short period of time however. That part worked pretty well. They did learn somethings from '94.

It will be very interesting to see how this "Social media stuff" works in any not guilty pleas. Lots of employment for lawyers coming up.

Yes even the Civil Liberities guys are giving kudos to the police for there handling of the mess - mind you since there chief spokesman wants to run against the Premier again it was about the only thing he could say if he didn`t want to get tarred and feathered during the campaign.

The only ones taking pot shots at the Police Chief are some politicos who weren`t either in office when he was appointed or don`t like his policing methods - the public is solidly behind him on this one.

Cheers

Dennis

Hey Dennis,

I would love to do an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver. I can watch the Bruins in Boston anytime (season ticket holder). I think your team will be playing home games in June again in the upcoming years. Just not sure I want to be around when your mayor believes getting over 100,000 people together in a relatively small space makes sense. Besides, Vancouver and Alaska are probably better in July.

Good luck with the aftermath of this thing.

Okay, I think you've made your point.

Viv

I read in the paper that London Drugs which has a rolling video of over 200 looters is going to start civil proceedings against them - they have hired an agency to start identifiying these twits. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Cheers

Dennis

Sorry to offend you Viv. Have a great summer.

You didn't offend me. I'm just a little sensitive about this right now. I think we were all naive.

The fact that my husband is a big Bruins fan and I've got a Bobby Orr shrine staring me in the face doesn't help much either.

Viv

Archived