First time on Oceania

verdl

We are considering the December 16th, 21 day cruise LA to Papeete.

I have a few questions from those of you who have previously sailed on the Regatta.

1) Is smoking allowed in the stateroom, on the Verandas, and in common areas? What about restaurants.

2) Are any meals included in the price of the cruise (with the exception of complimentary 24 hr room service, I think is was in the butlered veranda staterooms?

3) Any spirits included in the price?

4) Will they adjust the price if we have our own airfare to LA?

5) Are excursions a la carte -- or are some of them included?

7) Is there a thermostat in each room to adjust the air conditioning temperature?

Any other information you'd like to share that would be helpful will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to reach a decision soon.

Thanks in advance................

jj

It has been several years since we sailed on Insignia and Regatta, so I apologize if any of my info is out of date.

1) No smoking in cabins, on verandas, in restaurants. There is one small area in Horizon Court and one small area on the pool deck where smoking is permittted.

2) All meals were included, including in the two specialty restaurants.

3) No, but you can bring your own on board to drink in your cabin. There's a corkage charge if you bring your own bottle of wine to the dining room.

4)You will get an airfare credit if you want to purchase your own.

5) Excursions are not included.

7) Yes

It took one Oceania cruise for it to become our favorite cruise line. We love the wonderful staff, size of the ships, port intensive itineraries, lack of formal nights, all open seating restaurants, Tourist Office reps who get on at each port.

It has been several years since we sailed on Insignia and Regatta, so I apologize if any of my info is out of date.

1) No smoking in cabins, on verandas, in restaurants. There is one small area in Horizon Court and one small area on the pool deck where smoking is permittted.

2) All meals were included, including in the two specialty restaurants.

3) No, but you can bring your own on board to drink in your cabin. There's a corkage charge if you bring your own bottle of wine to the dining room.

4)You will get an airfare credit if you want to purchase your own.

5) Excursions are not included.

7) Yes

It took one Oceania cruise for it to become our favorite cruise line. We love the wonderful staff, size of the ships, port intensive itineraries, lack of formal nights, all open seating restaurants, Tourist Office reps who get on at each port.

One small addition to #3, although not a spirit, water and soda are included in your costs. Tipping is not.

There is also one section of an inside lounge where smoking is permitted.

I'm going on the same itinerary but in May. Tahiti is a beautiful area. The Dec 16 sailing is a great price for this. I've been watching ours to see if it's going to go down.

I'd vote yes.

Just a few added notes:

I see that your prior cruise experience was on the "Seven Seas Mariner"...which is now "Regent Cruise Lines"--the same parent company and management that operates Oceania...If you were pleased with that cruise, a good chance you will like this one as well...

Excursions are not included, but they are offered--usually either packaged or a la carte...

Food is all included--Main restaurant, two specialty restaurants and buffet and dinner time "Tapas"...

We've used both Oceania Air AND have booked our own and taken the credit...The advertising makes it look as though Air is included and unchangable, but you ARE able to waive it and receive a drop in the advertised price...Just check out what you can do on your own versus the credit...We did it ourselves when we had the frequent flier miles to cover the trip...

As far as free drinks, tips, etc., just weigh the cost of the cruise adding tips and an estimate for your bar bill versus your alternatives on other small ship lines...Remember, you really get nothing for free with anyone, you pay for it one way or another...

What you WILL get on Oceania is excellent food and service, a very pleasant small, uncrowded ship and some outstanding itineraries...

If you like that itinerary, just book it and go...

BTW, as to smoking, it appears most cruise lines are heading toward more restrictive smoking policies...Celebrity has been very restrictive on smoking for a while now...Princess and Carnival both just rolled out new, more restrictive smoking policies (though I cannot see how they enforce ANY rule on Carnival!). Bars and restaurants all over the US are heading toward smoking bans...Here in California, smoking has long been banned in most public places. The town I live in bans ALL public smoking--even outdoors...

I hope you try Oceania...

Good luck...

Thank you all for your comments..............all very helpful. We both quit smoking years ago........and am pleased to learn that more ships are headed in a more restrictive direction. Seems Silverseas, Seabourn, and Crystal haven't gotten there yet.

Wasn't aware that Regent was associated with Oceania..........good to know. With the exception of the food, we throughly enjoyed the cruise to Alaska. Wonderful!

With an all inclusive cruise line like Regent - it's great to have all costs built into the infated price -- I liked that.

Again, thanks to all. Lots to think about.

jj

Verdi,

The key words in your penultimate sentence are "inflated" price. That's exactly what you'll get on Regent, an inflated price to cover all those "free" things like shore excursions and hotel rooms.

Verdi,

The key words in your penultimate sentence are "inflated" price. That's exactly what you'll get on Regent, an inflated price to cover all those "free" things like shore excursions and hotel rooms.

....and all those "free" drinks they others may enjoy without any restrictions. Somebody has to pay for all this because it surely will not be the cruise line.

It's a perfect fit for some, less so for others.

Vive la différence !

Archived