Norweigan Star to Alaska Disaster

mwh27

I will include in this post a copy of the letter that I faxed to NCL fax # 305-436-4108 on June the 1st 2011.

Attention Customer Relations

Ship name: Star

Sailing Date: May 21st 2011

State room: 5133

Reservation #: 19217471

My wife was not allowed to board the NCL Star because she is a Mexican citizen and did not have a Canadian visa.

When I purchased the tickets I was asked from what country our passports were from and then I was instructed to type in the passport numbers. After typing in that my wife’s passport was from Mexico, why was I not asked to type in her Canadian visa number? Why was I not sent an email informing me that she needed a Canadian visa? Instead we were just turned away at the cruise port along with many others that were uninformed that a Canadian visa was needed.

The lady that was there checking people’s documentation could not have been more rude if she tried. She had short hair and was probably in her mid-50’s. She told me right in front of my wife and many other people that were waiting in line to board the ship “Sir, you can go on the cruise, but your wife will have to stay behind in Seattle.” My wife then began to cry. She actually cried for 3 days. I asked this lady if I could speak with her supervisor and she returned with security. I could not believe how we were being treated.

I spoke with the concierge and he told me this happens every week. How can a huge company like NCL not have a proper procedure for informing people that they need a Canadian visa? This really blows my mind. Our vacation was ruined. We love cruising on NCL and this was to be our first trip to Alaska.

I am seeking full compensation of money spent on airfare to Seattle and the cruise itself. Money spent was approximately $3,000. Please allow me this amount in compensation for a future NCL cruise and I will consider this issue resolved. This is your chance for damage control. Please do the right thing. The internet is a powerful tool. I will be eagerly awaiting your response.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, 15 days later, I have still not received a response. I feel ripped off and I will not let up until this matter is taken care of.

I will add that my wife has a U.S. Visa and we flew into Vancouver around 2 years ago and there were no issues. I understand that this is a fairly new policy, but how can a huge company like NCL allow something like this to happen?

I was emailed several spa promotions amongst other things from NCL and so was my wife, but not one email that said the Mexican citizen will need a Canadian passport. I know this happens on every cruise. You should have seen all the children and families crying after NCL crushed their vacation.

To top it off. I have received another email from NCL asking how I enjoyed my cruise. I am sure that one is automated, but geez.

Please, if you are not a U.S. or Canadian citizen and you are cruising to Alaska then get yourself a Canadian visa. I don't wish what happened to my wife and I upon anyone.

I'm really sorry, but if you received the spa promotions on your email, you probably received the "Ready, set, cruise" email. I received mine last week and we are cruising on the Pearl this Sunday. This email has a link to MyNCL, for last minute questions. This is what I found.... Again I'm really sorry.

Visa Restrictions for Canada

Due to stricter Canadian entry requirements, immigration officials have advised NCL that citizens from certain countries require a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to visit or transit Canada. Passengers who are not U.S. or Canadian citizens should check the following web site for a listing of restricted nationalities to determine if a TRV is necessary: http://www.cic.gc.ca. Subsequently, passengers belonging to nationalities that require a visa will be denied boarding if they do not possess such a visa. Exceptions will be made for U.S. Alien Resident Card (ARC) and Canadian Residency Permit (CRP) holders.

Note: Effective July 14th, 2009, Mexico and Czech Republic were added to the list of nationals who require a visa to travel to Canada.

I agree 100% that I was given something in fine print at the bottom of one of the emails they sent me about needing a Canadian visa. However, when they asked for the passport info and I typed in that one of the passports was from Mexico then why wasn't I immediately asked for the Canadian visa number? That way I would have known for sure that my wife needed one. Does that make sense? I should have never even been able to register for the cruise without typing in the Canadian visa number.

Also, if my wife was the only one that wasn't able to board that day I would have probably accepted a little more of the blame, but when there are near 20 people sitting there unable to board for the same reason, then there is an NCL problem.

Plus when the NCL concierge tells me that it happens every week, then there is an NCL problem. How they don't have a Canadian consulate rep there for an immediate temporary visa fix is beyond me. Background checks take less then 5 mins.

I'm certainly an NCL fan, but if this is indeed a recurring problem, and would certainly a traumatic event if it happened to you, the issue should be WELL publicized as pre cruise info for those particular cruises that could be affected, I think. Regardless of what we SHOULD know in our research of a cruise and the conditions, important issues can be easily overlooked. My brother and I were turned away at the Canadian border a few years ago on motorcycles because my brother had received a DUI in the US some years before. We rode thousand plus miles to find that he was not welcome for that infraction years before. Our fault ...our problem......but.....

I agree 100% that I was given something in fine print at the bottom of one of the emails they sent me about needing a Canadian visa. However, when they asked for the passport info and I typed in that one of the passports was from Mexico then why wasn't I immediately asked for the Canadian visa number? That way I would have known for sure that my wife needed one. Does that make sense? I should have never even been able to register for the cruise without typing in the Canadian visa number.

Also, if my wife was the only one that wasn't able to board that day I would have probably accepted a little more of the blame, but when there are near 20 people sitting there unable to board for the same reason, then there is an NCL problem.

Plus when the NCL concierge tells me that it happens every week, then there is an NCL problem. How they don't have a Canadian consulate rep there for an immediate temporary visa fix is beyond me. Background checks take less then 5 mins.

I agree with you, if this is a recurring problem, then NCL needs to do something about it.

I am very sorry your vacation went so poorly. that was a sad and expensive lesson. My husband has expressed frustration with cruise lines (not just NCL, seemingly all of them) telling him verbally and in writing that the cruiser is responsible for learning about and getting all necessary visas. No cruise line wants to be responsible for the changing requirements of various governments. My conclusion: Visas are entirely the cruisers responsibility. In the future, if you want help, use a good travel agent.

I feel your pain. This is the kind of thing we all dread. I wish it had not happened. However, I was just looking at my edocs, and this blurb is printed on the first page:

CANADIAN VISA INFORMATION: Due to stricter Canadian entry requirements, immigration officials have advised NCL that some non US or Canadian citizens may require a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to visit or transit Canada. Guests must have this Visa in order to board our ships that sail out of Vancouver or that call in a Canadian port. For a listing of restricted nationalities visit http://www.cic.gc.ca. :(

Under FAQ's, there's a section on Mexican visa requirements.

I will include in this post a copy of the letter that I faxed to NCL fax # 305-436-4108 on June the 1st 2011.

Attention Customer Relations

Ship name: Star

Sailing Date: May 21st 2011

State room: 5133

Reservation #: 19217471

My wife was not allowed to board the NCL Star because she is a Mexican citizen and did not have a Canadian visa.

When I purchased the tickets I was asked from what country our passports were from and then I was instructed to type in the passport numbers. After typing in that my wife’s passport was from Mexico, why was I not asked to type in her Canadian visa number? Why was I not sent an email informing me that she needed a Canadian visa? Instead we were just turned away at the cruise port along with many others that were uninformed that a Canadian visa was needed.

The lady that was there checking people’s documentation could not have been more rude if she tried. She had short hair and was probably in her mid-50’s. She told me right in front of my wife and many other people that were waiting in line to board the ship “Sir, you can go on the cruise, but your wife will have to stay behind in Seattle.” My wife then began to cry. She actually cried for 3 days. I asked this lady if I could speak with her supervisor and she returned with security. I could not believe how we were being treated.

I spoke with the concierge and he told me this happens every week. How can a huge company like NCL not have a proper procedure for informing people that they need a Canadian visa? This really blows my mind. Our vacation was ruined. We love cruising on NCL and this was to be our first trip to Alaska.

I am seeking full compensation of money spent on airfare to Seattle and the cruise itself. Money spent was approximately $3,000. Please allow me this amount in compensation for a future NCL cruise and I will consider this issue resolved. This is your chance for damage control. Please do the right thing. The internet is a powerful tool. I will be eagerly awaiting your response.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, 15 days later, I have still not received a response. I feel ripped off and I will not let up until this matter is taken care of.

I will add that my wife has a U.S. Visa and we flew into Vancouver around 2 years ago and there were no issues. I understand that this is a fairly new policy, but how can a huge company like NCL allow something like this to happen?

I was emailed several spa promotions amongst other things from NCL and so was my wife, but not one email that said the Mexican citizen will need a Canadian passport. I know this happens on every cruise. You should have seen all the children and families crying after NCL crushed their vacation.

To top it off. I have received another email from NCL asking how I enjoyed my cruise. I am sure that one is automated, but geez.

Please, if you are not a U.S. or Canadian citizen and you are cruising to Alaska then get yourself a Canadian visa. I don't wish what happened to my wife and I upon anyone.

When did it become any cruiseline's responsibility to make sure you have the correct documentation. You should have made sure prior to your trip that you had your ducks in a row. The information is out there, you have to take it upon yourself to research it. I took my first cruise this past February and I made sure I read everything about the documentation needed prior to leaving. With the increased security implemented around the world for travelers it's important to know what to expect and what is needed and the responsiblity is yours to make sure you know what they are. IMHO the cruiseline owes you nothing. It was not their mistake that you did not educate yourself on the documentation that is required. The information is on NCL's website and I'm sure you could have found it for yourself searching the web. I am sorry you missed your cruise. I know it must have been devastating for you. It's time people start taking responsiblity for themselves and their mistakes and quit laying the blame elsewhere.

I think it's common sense to find out which travel documents and VISAs you'll need whenever you travel to a foreign country. Back in the day, it was the travel agent's job to make sure you got what you needed. That's not the case now that we book everything ourselves.

We had a citizen of Agentina in our household when we went on a cruise to Mexico. It only took a phone call to the Mexican Consulate to find out that she needed a VISA and how to get it.

Rather than: "Please, if you are not a U.S. or Canadian citizen and you are cruising to Alaska then get yourself a Canadian visa. I don't wish what happened to my wife and I upon anyone."

I'd say: Please, regardless of your nationality, if you a traveling to a foreign country or through a foreign country, find out what travel documents and VISAs you need.

I see you found us yesterday - welcome.

Does your wife have a resident alien card (aka green card)? If she does then she should have been allowed on the ship:

From NCL:

Alien Residents of the United States holding an Alien Registration Card (ARC or "Green Card") (Form I-551) may travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda (see Visa Restrictions on Bermuda) and the Caribbean with just their valid ARC and Proof of Identity. However, it is recommended that these guests also carry their passports from their country of citizenship

I think it's common sense to find out which travel documents and VISAs you'll need whenever you travel to a foreign country. Back in the day, it was the travel agent's job to make sure you got what you needed. That's not the case now that we book everything ourselves.

We had a citizen of Agentina in our household when we went on a cruise to Mexico. It only took a phone call to the Mexican Consulate to find out that she needed a VISA and how to get it.

Rather than: "Please, if you are not a U.S. or Canadian citizen and you are cruising to Alaska then get yourself a Canadian visa. I don't wish what happened to my wife and I upon anyone."

I'd say: Please, regardless of your nationality, if you a traveling to a foreign country or through a foreign country, find out what travel documents and VISAs you need.

Exactly. It's up to the traveller to find out what they need when travelling to a foreign country.

Yes, the travel agent used to do this...but rules were simpler and the information not as readily available to the general public as it is today.

I think the poster was looking for a little support but he lost mine totally with his last paragraph to NCL......

Threatening them for an issue that was primarily your own fault is just not cool....... My guess is that you might have gotten something with a nicer, more professional approach. You blew it with the last paragraph. JMHO

Some posters responding here start off with "I am sorry......". This may sound harsh, but I have no sympathy for you. I see all over NCL documentation that sez "It is the PASSENGER'S RESPONSIBILITY to have the proper documentation" You should have done more homework to find out what documentation your wife, being a non us citizen would need to travel. Depending upon a script from a web site form to inform you what you would need above and beyond a birth cert. or a passport is negligence on your part!

I am sorry your cruise was ruined. It would indeed be a good thing if the website had something programed in as this is not unique to you.

The visa thing is kind of scary as it is hard to know when you need one and you don't. Same thing for me about immunizations as the language on the websites isn't very clear. Thlanks for posting as perhaps this will remind others not to take the visa thing for granted and that we are each responsible for our visas.

I agree 100% that I was given something in fine print at the bottom of one of the emails they sent me about needing a Canadian visa.

First OP if this happened to you then I'm sure this was a huge disappointment for you and your family.

This above line admits to you not taking full responsibility for reading what was required. Why then would you even assume NCL should take 100% of the responsibility.

I'm sorry to say but I agree with the poster who said this was an expensive lesson, but even a non-seasoned traveler should look into what documentation is required for traveling to other countries. That just is common sense.

Some posters responding here start off with "I am sorry......". This may sound harsh, but I have no sympathy for you. I see all over NCL documentation that sez "It is the PASSENGER'S RESPONSIBILITY to have the proper documentation" You should have done more homework to find out what documentation your wife, being a non us citizen would need to travel. Depending upon a script from a web site form to inform you what you would need above and beyond a birth cert. or a passport is negligence on your part!

The very next post says "I am sorry". :rolleyes:

I agree with the OP, if this is a recurring problem, they should've done something, some warning printed on the sailpass.

But... there IS some neglect on your side too! Even as an American citizen I read the small print and double-check if a visa needed. Or vaccination. But that's just me, I don't want to be careless. An oversight can be proven expensive.

If indeed this is a recurring problem, the cruiselines do need to make the requirements more accessable, but as an agent, I know normally, the cruiseline, when you make your reservation will remind you what docs you need. At this time, I would think the guest would think to ask questions. Whenever there is any doubt about what is needed it is the responsiblity of the guest to make sure they have all the proper documentation.

I am judging from the OPs comments he did not use a travel agent. Here is another example of where they can be worth in gold. This is not saying people should not book via the net or directly with a cruise line. In many cases I would do the same.

As for the guest to expect his air fare back, let's get real. Remember the cruise line is just obeying the laws of a particular country.

Nita

I find it interesting that the poster never posted on CC before the cruise. No questions, no excited posts about final payment, not even a question about VISA requirements, etc.

However, AFTER this supposed incident he is quick to come to CC and blast NCL for something that he should have researched ahead of time. As he himself said, "The internet is a powerful tool."

The title of the post is misleading as well. To make it sound like he had gone on a cruise on the Star and it was a disaster is disingenuous.

I see you found us yesterday - welcome.

Does your wife have a resident alien card (aka green card)? If she does then she should have been allowed on the ship:

From NCL:

Alien Residents of the United States holding an Alien Registration Card (ARC or "Green Card") (Form I-551) may travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda (see Visa Restrictions on Bermuda) and the Caribbean with just their valid ARC and Proof of Identity. However, it is recommended that these guests also carry their passports from their country of citizenship

That language covers the U.S. regulations and that's what the traveller needs to get back into the states after traveling. The Canadian Visa issue is, well, a Canadian requirement.

OP, an expensive lesson. If you are able to wrangle any kind of credit out of NCL I'd suggest you take it because it is highly doubtful that you'll see anything like a full refund. Final responsibility for ensuring the correct travel documentation is squarely on the shoulders of the traveller.

I have to agree with you on this one. There's no sorry due to the OP on this one. Read your cruise documents carefully and get to know where you are traveling to. I required a visa when I visited Turkey on the 2007 Jewel cruise. Luckily it is not hard to obtain one from the Turkish airport upon arrival BUT it still had to be done and it needed to be researched before flying there and I am a US citizen. Any time you travel, you should make sure your ducks are in a row.

Also, OP threatening NCL publicly will wind you blacklisted rather than any sort of compensation for your lack of judgement. Next time read your documents more carefully. Anything legally binding for a cruise contract or otherwise in which you invest a large amount of money and has a contract would require you READ the contract and everything else in between. Good luck with your quest.

Sorry, as much as I feel for you, it is not the cruiselines or airlines responsibility to make sure that you show up with the proper documentation required by the various governments at each port/destination. They do post the requirements that they know about on their websites and publish them in their materials.

However, governments can change their rules at any time. Plus there are a lot of different rules based on citizenship, country of residence, passport that you possess, and where you are traveling to. It would literally be impossible for them to publish all the possible combinations, plus keep up with all the changes in a very short amount of time.

It is an expensive lesson, but when you travel out of the country, it is your responsibility to find out the rules based on your citizenship and country of residence. I would hate it if it happened to me, and I do worry about it, but if it did happen, I could only blame myself.

Archived