Norweigan Star to Alaska Disaster

mwh27

That really sucks. I'm taking my 13 month old on the Alaskan cruise and I did extensive research and asked NCL a few times about whether she needed a passport. I'm pretty sure she didn't need one, but I wasn't about to take a chance. Well worth the $120 to have peace of mind and enjoy our trip.

I work for an evacuation company and you wouldn't believe how many people called us from consulates trying to get proof of coverage documentation, which was a requirement to obtain their visa. They expected me to drop everything that I was doing and send it over to them immediately. Doesn't anyone research requirements these days? Now more than ever, information is at ones fingertips.

I hope you at least spent some time in Seattle!

I will repeat what I posted before.

When I had to do the online registry through the NCL website, I was asked from what country my passport was from. Anyone that has taken an NCL cruise, and probably any cruise for that matter, has had to type this info in. After I put that one of the passengers had a passport that was from Mexico, then I was asked to type in the passport number. At that point, how in the world could they not immediately tell me I needed/asked me for my Canadian visa number?

We live in a world of computers and if a huge company like NCL can't put into place a program that has an automated response for a visa rule that has been active for 2 years now, then *****?

To top it off, the fact that the lady told me i could go on the cruise, but my wife would have to stay behind in Seattle was just inexcusable.

I will be really honest. I am lucky that I didn't go to prison that day.

I do accept some of the blame, but it never should have happened. But, it will happen again tomorrow.

The lady that posted in this thread that says she is from Seattle should head down to the port tomorrow morning and see for herself how people get turned away for not having proper documentation.

In my honest opinion, NCL knows that it is happening every cruise(how can they not), but they don't really care.

It seems like I am upsetting some people in this thread, but that was never my intention.

Unfortunate, but disaster? If you'd been a follower of CC last year you might have read how many of our friends lost out on cruises due to the volcano in Iceland. Many lost several thousand dollars. Did NCL owe them refunds too?

Did you have insurance?

A good TA is worth their weight in gold.

Did you ever just "google it"??? What documentation does a Mexican citizen need to enter Canada?

On a percentage, how much accountability do you feel is NCL? Yours? Are you asking for 100% refund? Hmmm.

Was your post here to help others or to condemn NCL?

Just some things to ponder.

This was a response that I got from another website that I posted this story on.

Here is the link.

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/forums/f4/ncl-star-alaska-disaster-171120/

If I'm not allowed to post a link to another cruise forum, well I apologize.

Wow... overall, nice group of people on the other site. I hear you OP! This really should not be happening. A software update sure would be a simple fix. I am sorry your vacation was ruined. I hope NCL see fit to make it right for you, but I doubt they will. I hope you will keep us updated as you seek some compensation. I would also be intersted to hear if you even get an apology from NCL.

Well, i work for an airline and we have the same problems if our passengers dont have the right visa for their destination.

And yes, it happens every day a few times. But on the other side, there are thousands of passengers who are able to have their right documentation.

So, im sorry but its def your fault and not NCL´s. Its a lesson for lifetime i guess...

Terrible situation. I hope NCL reimburses or credits you in some way. If not, I wouldn't spend a dime or recommend them to a single person.

I will say this thread is evidence that some people do not understand the concept of Customer Service. The bottom line is: people spend thousands of dollars on a single cruise and could easily spend upwards to hundreds of thousands in a lifetime cruising. It is truly amazing that more effort isn't made to ensure customers (passengers) are readily prepared. I'm not talking about some timeline on your profile at the cruise company's website. I'm talking someone calling you at home, on your cell, at work. Why would these people risk upsetting people who are spending thousands and will spend thousands and thousands more? Why risk losing the future business over trivialities? Why risk losing a customer over fine print? It's baffling.

NCL's advice to pax about visas is not in the "fine print." It is right there on the one-page confirmation NCL emails you to confirm a trip deposit. It's stated plainly under the bold faced title "Important information." It then says you may need a visa for your cruise, and tells you sources of information you can check about this, including NCL's own web site, giving a specific URL for the page on that site. Going to that specific page, you will find a separate section clearly entitled "Visa Restrictions for Canada," advising that citizens of some countries may need visas for Canada, and how to find out if you need one.

I do think that without any real burden NCL could be more helpful to pax on the specific cruise itinerary on which the OP was booked (since it seems to be a known problem) by placing this Canada-specific info on the cruise deposit confirmation, but to say that NCL's advice about checking the need for visas is buried in fine print is not correct.

I am sorry about what happened to the OP. I do understand why he thinks NCL could have been more helpful, as this is apparently a weird problem with this particular itinerary, on every sailing. (Really, who thinks "visa" when travelng to Canada?) But I do agree with folks above that every traveler is responsible for obtaining the proper documentation for traveling abroad.

When I had to do the online registry through the NCL website, I was asked from what country my passport was from. Anyone that has taken an NCL cruise, and probably any cruise for that matter, has had to type this info in. After I put that one of the passengers had a passport that was from Mexico, then I was asked to type in the passport number. At that point, how in the world could they not immediately tell me I needed/asked me for my Canadian visa number?

We live in a world of computers and if a huge company like NCL can't put into place a program that has an automated response for a visa rule that has been active for 2 years now, then *****?

To top it off, the fact that the lady told me i could go on the cruise, but my wife would have to stay behind in Seattle was just inexcusable.

I do accept some of the blame, but it never should have happened. But, it will happen again tomorrow.

The lady that posted in this thread that says she is from Seattle should head down to the port tomorrow morning and see for herself how people get turned away for not having proper documentation.

In my honest opinion, NCL knows that it is happening every cruise(how can they not), but they don't really care.

It seems like I am upsetting some people in this thread, but that was never my intention.

We all get what you had to enter into the computer, we have to enter the same thing. As nice as it might be for NCL's computer system to be set up to remind you this does not shift the burden to NCL- it's still the traveller's responsibility.

I would say it's a matter of NCL knowing that it's happening and NCL not being willing to take on the responsibility rather than NCL not caring. As for the port personnel being rude, how many times would it take for you being yelled at for the same issue before you became defensive and angry that people are taking their frustrations out on you for something that's their fault to begin with? It may not excuse it but it certainly makes it understandable.

So, if you enter "Mexico" as the passport issuing country you want a message to pop up to tell you that a visa is required. What about if you were to enter "United Kingdom", "France", "Germany", "Ireland", . . . There are so many passport issuing countries it would be a full time job for a team to keep up to date with who needs visas and when. What about cruises in Europe - a single cruise can visit 6 different countries - what then?

It's the responsibility of each passenger to ensure that they have the correct documentation whether that be birth certificate, driving licence, passport, visa, whatever. It is also the responsibility of each passenger to ensure they have received any required immunisations. These days it is so easy to find that information.

I think we all understand what you were saying but these forms are done by the computer as you know and most of the time, unless the numbers don't make sense or whatever they are just simply fed into the check in computers. they are not made to provide you with all the information you think you should have been given.

It is your opinion this is happening daily, you do not know. I can assure you, I have handled many cruise people, from many countries and never have I had anything like this happen. I also make sure, if there is a question, they contact the state dept, the country they will be entering or whatever is necessary to make sure something like this does not happen.

Should the cruise lines take a more pro active part in assuring these things do not happen? Maybe, but ultimately it is the cruisers respensiblity to make sure they have all the correct documents and for you to even think you should get any airfare back is out of the question in my opinion.

Nita

Well, i work for an airline and we have the same problems if our passengers dont have the right visa for their destination.

And yes, it happens every day a few times. But on the other side, there are thousands of passengers who are able to have their right documentation.

So, im sorry but its def your fault and not NCL´s. Its a lesson for lifetime i guess...

My daughter works for an airline as well. She is always telling us about people showing up without the proper paper work and no when you make a reservation no one says, this is what you need for this country and this is what you need for that country...primarily all you are advised of is the requirements to have a valid passport.

Nita

My response is this...

Why make this post HERE? NOW? Why air out your problems on a site you've never been to previously and to folks you don't know? Seriously? To ME...your post is MEANINGLESS....

Kinda like praying to God to get you out of a fix when you've never been to Chruch or prayed before....

Here's a quarter....

I will repeat what I posted before. When I had to do the online registry through the NCL website, I was asked from what country my passport was from. Anyone that has taken an NCL cruise, and probably any cruise for that matter, has had to type this info in. After I put that one of the passengers had a passport that was from Mexico, then I was asked to type in the passport number. At that point, how in the world could they not immediately tell me I needed/asked me for my Canadian visa number? We live in a world of computers and if a huge company like NCL can't put into place a program that has an automated response for a visa rule that has been active for 2 years now, then *****?To top it off, the fact that the lady told me i could go on the cruise, but my wife would have to stay behind in Seattle was just inexcusable.I will be really honest. I am lucky that I didn't go to prison that day.I do accept some of the blame, but it never should have happened.

It is sad that you missed your vacation. You must have been disappointed. Enough that prison would become a possibility? wow, anger management course might be a better choice than a cruise.

I agree that it should never have happened. You and your wife should have read the info NCL provided. You and your wife should have checked entry requirements. You and your wife should have consulted a travel agent if you needed help.

You need to accept not some of the blame, but (if you didn't have a travel agent) 50% of the blame. The other 50% of the blame goes to your wife. If you used a travel agent, Then some blame goes to your travel agent. NCL gets 0%. It is your fault. NCL should not refund your money.

Of course the check in agent advised that your personal documentation was in order and that you were allowed to board. staying with your wife or going without her was your choice. both poor choices certainly, but that was the situation you in which you put yourself.

Just because you used the optional online data entry does not shift the blame to NCL. Nice try, but your wife is responsible for her paperwork.

Expensive lesson.

violin.gif

Learn to research and understand the rules and guidelines when traveling to countries other than your own.

Take responsibility for your own poor planning and stop blaming others and worse yet expecting to be compensated.

NCL owes you jack!

Think about it : some people may have a Mexican Passport....AND a green card...so they won't need to get a visa....IF NCL had a Pop Up every time someone typed in Mexico then they would make all those with green cards go through extra unneeded hassle

Face it...you know your wife is from Mexico....you could have easily called NCL, googled, looked at the website, posted on this board and asked....

or just read your emails and documentation

Another tidbit : peeps with a DUI in the last 10 years are also NOT welcome in Canada....and have to go through hoops and loops to (maybe) sail there

You ARE going to another country....you are not going to Epcot at Disney world....

Think about it : some people may have a Mexican Passport....AND a green card...so they won't need to get a visa....IF NCL had a Pop Up every time someone typed in Mexico then they would make all those with green cards go through extra unneeded hassle

If they have a green card they are still Mexican citizens and under the regulations as quoted would still need a Canadian visa. Having the green card only allows them re-entry into the U.S.

Well, I AM sorry this happened to you, and I'd call it a disaster too.

Anyway. One thing I've concluded in the past 15 years or so is that modern business is understaffed with poorly trained help. While I can certainly see why it would be to NCL's (or any other lines) benefit to watch out for you in cases like this, I never-Never-EVER depend on a company for something as important as this. Don't read into that. I'm not trying to paint you as anything at all. Just my observations. Modern business is a shell of what it used to be, and the folks running big companies don't even seem to realize it, because it's been so thinly run for so long now.

I don't imagine you're going to get a refund at all. In the old days they may have offered you some type of discount to get you back. Wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

While I can certainly see why it would be to NCL's (or any other lines) benefit to watch out for you in cases like this

Before I get punched in the face for that comment. My thinking is that they don't make any money on the fare. It would be to a cruisline's benefit to have you on board spending money, and being happy enough to rebook. YMMV

violin.gif

Learn to research and understand the rules and guidelines when traveling to countries other than your own.

Take responsibility for your own poor planning and stop blaming others and worse yet expecting to be compensated.

NCL owes you jack!

Don't you love on-line discussions? Folks would never say this stuff face to face.

Face it...you know your wife is from Mexico....you could have easily called NCL, googled, looked at the website, posted on this board and asked....

or just read your emails and documentation

Another tidbit : peeps with a DUI in the last 10 years are also NOT welcome in Canada....and have to go through hoops and loops to (maybe) sail there

You ARE going to another country....you are not going to Epcot at Disney world....

You are looking at this in the right light. No one with any feelings would not feel sorry for the OP, but we are living in a world where too many say "it isn't my fault" This was an oversight on the part of the poster, should NCL and other lines be more aware of these issues maybe, but all in all the poster should be able to accept the responisibilty for his mistake. If someone is traveling via a cruise into say, Egypt, it is the cruisers responsiblity to check for what docs are needed, this goes for, as you said the DUI thing, etc. The cruise line would spend hours and needless money to keep all guests informed of all the requirements and these change daily so it would also make them legally responsible for keep everyone up to date.

I just re-read your original posting: you said when you made your reservation you were asked from what country your passports were issued? I have never and I am saying never had such a question asked when making a reservation. Why would the reservation agent asked you that? I think in your anger and your total disssappointment you are getting your stories a little mixed up. It is also a puzzle as to, if you didn't get to crusie how did you get to talk to the congierge.

Terrible situation. I hope NCL reimburses or credits you in some way. If not, I wouldn't spend a dime or recommend them to a single person.

I will say this thread is evidence that some people do not understand the concept of Customer Service. The bottom line is: people spend thousands of dollars on a single cruise and could easily spend upwards to hundreds of thousands in a lifetime cruising. It is truly amazing that more effort isn't made to ensure customers (passengers) are readily prepared. I'm not talking about some timeline on your profile at the cruise company's website. I'm talking someone calling you at home, on your cell, at work. Why would these people risk upsetting people who are spending thousands and will spend thousands and thousands more? Why risk losing the future business over trivialities? Why risk losing a customer over fine print? It's baffling.

and you do not understand the concept of legal. It is not up to airlines, cruise ships or anyone to take it upon themselve to advise someone of what docs are needied. They are doing nothing but opening themselves up to a law suit it they give poor advise.

Nita

Hey Nita, although I agree this guy really messed up. The reservation form does ask for country of birth and what passport you are using. Given that, you hit the nail on the head, there are so many possible situations the cruise lines or airlines could never keep up. We are all responsible for our choices. I think these folks were trying to drum up a little support, and of course, that's not going to fly on this board. Most here will call it as they see it I think.

It's an unfortunate situation for these folks, but should be a learning experience for a lot of future cruisers.

Cruise on!!!;)

I am only sorry that your wife was upset as apparently she didn't have anything to do with the cruise booking. I just booked my cruise on the Star to Alaska and saw RIGHT AWAY on my e-docs the information about some travellers needing a Canadian visa. In fact that information is on the first page of the e-docs. I read it through even though I'm Canadian!

Sure, NCL could ask for the Cdn visa number at booking time, but then it would be impossible for someone in your situation to book without already having a Canadian visa in hand. I imagine not all Mexican nationals have them, but surely could obtain one after booking a cruise and finding out that one is required.

An expensive lesson for sure, but that is why when travelling on any sort of vacation, out of country, one should read everything, even the "fine print" which in this case was not fine print at all.

When I booked my air reservations to India from the US I had to enter my passport number. They did not ask for a visa number at any point of the reservation process. However at the airport I needed that visa in order to fly. How did I find out I needed a visa? I looked it up on-line. I went to the Indian Embassy on-line and they provided the forms and listed all the required info/paperwork I would need to get that visa.

Days of traveling in and out of Mexico / United States / Canada without paperwork are long gone. Mexico and Canada are not immediate neighbors so a visa is a possibility. Someday even US citizens may require a visa to go to Canada or Mexico. We never thought we would need a passport to go there and now we do.

I know it's a hard (and expensive) pill to swallow but I think you have to realize that NCL would have a very difficult time staying on top of every countries immigration laws and keep their website current. US citizens do not need a visa to go to England but people from other countries do. People from Canada don't need one to come to the US but many other countries need one. NCL's ships carry people from 100's of different countries every week with all sorts of different paperwork required from each person.

It's not NCL's job to look up the visa / passport information for every passenger traveling with them each year, which is about 1,250,000 people by the way. (That's not including the crew and their visa's and work papers.) The customer must take some responsibility for their own circumstances and do their own research just like you would for any inoculations you may need for traveling abroad.

Archived