Hidden Coin on Ships?

I know that Holland American Line hides a coin somewhere on the ship at the time it is being build. This is also something people do on their private boats. Does RCL also do this? It is said to bring good luck.:rolleyes:

Judee

I know that Holland American Line hides a coin somewhere on the ship at the time it is being build. This is also something people do on their private boats. Does RCL also do this? It is said to bring good luck.:rolleyes:

Judee

I'm probably not remembering this entirely correctly (I saw this on a program about building the Oasis - and I'm sure someone will correct me), but I believe when the keel is being laid that a coin representing the country in which the ship is being built and one where the ship will be flagged is placed betwen the keel and the hull of the ship. This is supposedly a tradition that goes back centuries in shipbuilding tradition. It's probably done by every line.

On a similar note - there's usually a coin somewhere in the ice in the Studio B's. Every time a total melt and new ice is made, they would put a few coins of the nations of whoever helped that time.

On a similar note - there's usually a coin somewhere in the ice in the Studio B's. Every time a total melt and new ice is made, they would put a few coins of the nations of whoever helped that time.

Look for a dark spot or shadow in the very center of the ice. That is where the Studio B manager told me that they place the coins.

I'm probably not remembering this entirely correctly (I saw this on a program about building the Oasis - and I'm sure someone will correct me), but I believe when the keel is being laid that a coin representing the country in which the ship is being built and one where the ship will be flagged is placed betwen the keel and the hull of the ship. This is supposedly a tradition that goes back centuries in shipbuilding tradition. It's probably done by every line.

I saw the same....

As for the ice rink in Studio B....interesting news to me, I will need to check this out. Is this supposedly on all RCI ships with an ice rink?

The Studio B coin originated from the Salt Lake City Olympics. The organizers of the Salt Lake Olympics employed the ice making team from Edmonton, which is well known for having the best ice in the NHL. While they were laying the ice they put a Canadian coin under the centre ice dot. It was meant to be a good luck talisman for both the Canadian mens and womens ice hockey teams. It must have worked as they both won gold. A few years ago while on the Explorer I saw some Canadian and other countries coins under the ice. It was explained to me by a Sr. Officer, who came from Toronto, that since a lot of the performers in the ice shows come from Canada they continued the Salt Lake tradition for good luck.

As for the original post about a coin being hidden somewhere on the ship that is the frst I have heard of that but it makes sense.

SAN GIORGIO DI NOGARO, ITALY, July 12, 2007----In a ceremony steeped in age-old tradition, principles from The Yachts of Seabourn and T. Mariotti S.p.A, performed a keel-laying ceremony on July 11 for the line’s 32,000-ton Seabourn Odyssey, due to enter service in June 2009.

Pamela C. Conover, Seabourn’s president and CEO, placed an un-circulated 2007 U.S. Silver Eagle dollar coin in the keel as the first section of the hull was joined to it. Marco Bisagno, president of T. Mariotti S.p.A., contributed a newly minted Italian one-Euro coin to complete the ceremony, which traditionally solicits good fortune for the vessel during its construction and throughout its seagoing life.

If you go out to the meyer werft website and do a search on the keel-laying ceremony for the Disney dream, there are some great shots of the coins being placed under the first block as it is lowered into place.

I believe there is an RCI You Tube about the coins on Oasis, or Allure, I can't remember which.

thanks for the info. Looked it up. Here is the link to the Allure coin ceremony. Quite interesting and just shy of 3 minutes long.

Archived