Eurodam cabanas

dvg1027

What would you say are the pluses and minuses of a retreat cabana and a lido cabana. I am trying to figure out which is best for a family of 4 adults-ages 55 to 91.

Also, does my brick and mortar TA set that up or do I. Our cruise is Oct 29. Are they probably all taken by now? Thanks.

Since none of the more experienced Hal cruisers has answered your question, I will give you the information that I received. The lido cabanas are around or near the pool and are only for 2 adults and 2 children tops.They have a small table, maybe 2 chairs and loungers for two people(doubles?). They do not appear large enough for 4 adults, but are close to the pools so families with younger children might like that or more social people may enjoy being in the mix.

The retreat cabanas may be the same size, it is hard to tell but they are also for 2 adults and 2 children tops. They are $299 per week vs $199 for the lido cabanas by the pool. There are 2 Family retreat cabanas that will fit 4 adults and some say 2 children. These are larger and have a table with chairs that you can eat at and lounges to fit 4 people.These are $449 per week. The retreat area is designed to be a quieter area from what I have read. It is 2 decks above the pool area which will mean that your party will have to take the elevator/stairs to the pool.

I am not an expert, but I did reserve a Family retreat cabana (as there are 4 adults and 2 children in our party), pay in advance by booking through Ship Services. There was only one lido cabana left for a December sailing. Anyone can call and book as long as you have a credit card to pay for it and your reservation number. I am sure some others will chime in with more information. There are pictures of the cabanas on another thread. Just search for Eurodam Retreat Cabanas and you will see them.

Good luck to you.

Andrea

For 4 adults, you would need either a Family Retreat cabana (there are only two this size), or 2 regular Retreat or Lido cabanas since the regular size holds 2 adults. We booked a Family Retreat for a cruise last November and really enjoyed it. It is initially set up with a table with 4 chairs and 2 double loungers. In previous postings, people have stated that they were able to have the butlers change the 2 double loungers for 2 single loungers, but I don't know how easily that is done. It is probably related to availability of the loungers. They have a menu of lunch type items that they will bring to you. After seeing me with a coffee (from the Explorer's cafe, right inside from the Cabanas) in the first morning, if I showed up without one they brought me one without my asking. The Explorers cafe is also the internet area and has the library, so if one of your party wants to sit inside it is very very close for you to check up on them. We found it so nice that before we booked our cruise for next month, I called Ship Services to confirm that one was available. Upon hearing yes, we booked the cruise and booked the Cabana.

But let me just add this. We do not book a veranda cabin because of the cabana. When we booked it originally, it was with the idea that the older, less mobile members of our group would use it. They visitied once and didn't come back again. They just wanted to sit on their veranda. So it is all a matter of making your best guess on what everyone will like and use. As to the Lido cabanas, if we were with children on a cruise then that is what I would book. Its proximity to the pool is terrific.

No matter what your choice, have a wonderful cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Retreat:

Our Experience-

The cabanas close at 5, they start packing up at 4:30

We told our attendant that we would be staying later and they did not tear down the interior items of the cabanas, that was so nice to be able to use it.

The service was fantastic.

Family size is much bigger than the standard,

If you have a bad weather day and they get torn down (like packing up the inside of it, so that is is un-useable or do not get set up there will be no refund for that day. We had two of those days, when we pre paid for a week.

I would not cruise without one. Its amazing.

Thanks for the info, Surfergirle. Sounds like they may have area closed and locked during the night. How early in the am do they open the area? Since I have to once again sail alone, I am thinking of booking an inexpensive cabin, and then book a retreat cabana for relaxation and nice sea breezes.

The area is 'controlled' by a simple rope. Nothing too secured. One day during a heavy downpour, the cabin attendees were busy closing things down and I just stayed in my cabana for the duration. It was fine by the staff and I find being enclosed in the cabana during the rain storm very relaxing. Even if you could get into your cabana at night, you can enjoy the lounge chairs in the retreat area since then are not put away.

So we booked two deluxe verandah suites. I am wondering if it is even worth it getting a retreat cabana. Do you get a lot of sun just sitting out on the verandah?

Also, if we decided to get two retreat cabanas, (I called and the ones that are for 4 adults are already booked) since we are traveling together would the cruiseline put us next to each other? Thanks.

I would have to guess that half the cruise your verandah will be on the sunny side of the ship and the other half it might not be. If you made the request for your cabanas to be next to each other, I am sure ship services would comply. You would always get one cabana. There are so many unused lounge chairs in the retreat area that there will be plenty of seating for everyone in your party. When we were on the E-dam last December there was a cabana shared by two couples. I am sure they on told HAL it was for one couple. If you tip the cabana attendees on embarkation day I am sure you will buy their silience. We had guests visit us everyday and they never said a thing.

I would have to guess that half the cruise your verandah will be on the sunny side of the ship and the other half it might not be. If you made the request for your cabanas to be next to each other, I am sure ship services would comply. You would always get one cabana. There are so many unused lounge chairs in the retreat area that there will be plenty of seating for everyone in your party. When we were on the E-dam last December there was a cabana shared by two couples. I am sure they on told HAL it was for one couple. If you tip the cabana attendees on embarkation day I am sure you will buy their silience. We had guests visit us everyday and they never said a thing.

Hardly seems ethical or fair to others who have rented cabanas and followed the expectations of the area. The guidelines are in place to ensure a peaceful area, one that is expected and deserved by those who reserve the cabanas. What if everyone followed your lead and brought whomever they pleased?

The area is 'controlled' by a simple rope. Nothing too secured. One day during a heavy downpour, the cabin attendees were busy closing things down and I just stayed in my cabana for the duration. It was fine by the staff and I find being enclosed in the cabana during the rain storm very relaxing. Even if you could get into your cabana at night, you can enjoy the lounge chairs in the retreat area since then are not put away.

Many thanks for sharing. I gather there are two ways to get to the cabanas? Entrance near the Crows Nest (My favorite spot on the NA) or up two flights of stairs, roped off, from Lido?

• 3 weeks later...

Sailing Feb 4 2012 and thrilled to have a retreat cabana. HAL salesperson seemed to think that they are assigned on a first come, first served basis, but others on the boards seem to think they are preassigned and you know what you got when you go to your cabin and check the usual stack of gift and excursion tickets.

IF I could select, which do you recommend? Like lots of breeze!

Mary

They have been assigned before you get onboard. When we went to the Retreat/Cabana Club the stewards had a list with all the names and assignments.

I would choose an aft facing cabana and not one that is right beside the stairs going down. You might lose some privacy from people going up or down. You can send your request to the ship coordinator.

Having guests for a drink or a lunch or a few hours of conversation is not against the rules. But thanks for opening your mouth and putting your foot into it. I am sure your valuable response was cherished everyone. :mad:

I enjoyed that..!!! thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions about the retreat cabanas (N Amsterdam).

1. Do you have to climb steps to get there or is it accessible for people with limited mobility? I am not in a wheelchair but I cannot climb stairs.

2. Is there ever a problem of 'squatters' or do they monitor it pretty well? We had problems once at HMC with people using cabanas which they had not paid for.

3. Do the smaller (non-family) ones have a table and chairs or just loungers? I often have problems getting on and off a lounger and am better in an upright chair sitting at a table.

4. Is there WiFi signal up there so I can use my netbook?

I have a few questions about the retreat cabanas (N Amsterdam).

1. Do you have to climb steps to get there or is it accessible for people with limited mobility? I am not in a wheelchair but I cannot climb stairs.

You do not have to use stairs to access this area. You can take the forward elevators to Deck 11 (where you also find the Crow's Nest) and exit the double doors to the Cabana Club. There is also a washroom for the exclusive use of Cabana Club guests.

2. Is there ever a problem of 'squatters' or do they monitor it pretty well? We had problems once at HMC with people using cabanas which they had not paid for.

The stewards keep an eye out for people who do not belong in that area. After a few days you easily start to recognize all your neighbors.

3. Do the smaller (non-family) ones have a table and chairs or just loungers? I often have problems getting on and off a lounger and am better in an upright chair sitting at a table.

Each of the cabanas (for 2 people) has 2 loungers and a small table with 2 chairs. In the open area you will also find more loungers, full size cushioned chairs, and tables with chairs. Some of these are in the sun, but there are also umbrellas if you like to sit in the open area but prefer a little shade.

4. Is there WiFi signal up there so I can use my netbook?

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to this.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and cabana.

I've booked one of these for an upcoming cruise with my father. We are staying in separate cabins, but our booking numbers are tied together. Is there anything I should do once on board, or prior to, to ensure that we won't have any problems with both of us using this?

My information is based upon my Nov 2009 Eurodam sailing. My gf and I booked a retreat cabana and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of you will get a card in your cabin that says which cabana you have been assigned (they have individual names). Hopefully it will be in your cabin and not you father's as you have indicated in another post that he is forgetful. I suggest you go up to the retreat area and introduce yourself and your father to the cabana attendants. Take your card with the cabana name with you. They will show you which cabana is yours and at that time you can tell them about your father, any guidance you'd like them to follow, etc. After that, neither of you should have any problems using your cabana. The cabana attendants are really good at watching over everyone in the retreat area. We were so impressed with their service that we tipped them on our last day for the excellent service we received. Happy Sailing!

My information is based upon my Nov 2009 Eurodam sailing. My gf and I booked a retreat cabana and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of you will get a card in your cabin that says which cabana you have been assigned (they have individual names). Hopefully it will be in your cabin and not you father's as you have indicated in another post that he is forgetful. I suggest you go up to the retreat area and introduce yourself and your father to the cabana attendants. Take your card with the cabana name with you. They will show you which cabana is yours and at that time you can tell them about your father, any guidance you'd like them to follow, etc. After that, neither of you should have any problems using your cabana. The cabana attendants are really good at watching over everyone in the retreat area. We were so impressed with their service that we tipped them on our last day for the excellent service we received. Happy Sailing!

Thank you for this. I thought it would be that easy, but didn't know for sure. The reservation is tied to my number, so we should be good. We've sailed HAL before and the service is always top-notch, I'd expect nothing less in the cabanas, but good to hear it from someone that's been there. (Extra tip already in the budget for them!)

We rented a lido cabana on the Eurodam and would not do so again. The furnishings were fine-- a daybed type lounger for two, two chairs and a table.

The worst part was that there was a speaker on ceiling that blared music for the entire day. I complained and it was turned down a bit, but I fail to see how one could enjoy the ipod music if other music is playing in the cabana. The service was ok- nothing special. I am not fond of cheap champagne, and the fruit offerings were also available in the lido. The big plus was having a guaranteed lounger in the pool area.

Verandas, OTOH, are wonderful-- we spend far more time on the veranda than we would ever spend in the cabana. So, if you have a veranda, I would not spring for the cabana.

Edited by DeirdreTours

OVgirl, thank you for your reply.

We have not booked our cruise yet. We are looking at possibly NA for next year and are considering a longer cruise in a non-balcony cabin rather than a shorter cruise with a balcony. If we do not have a balcony we thought we might get a cabana instead.

Good idea about getting a cabana instead of a balcony cabin but remember the cabanas are not open after 5pm or early am. If you like sitting on your balcony during those hrs, you might want to reconsider not getting a balcony cabin. Personally, I enjoyed both for different reasons but if $$ are limited, then cabana instead of balcony cabin is an option. Happy Sailing!

I had a retreat cabana on the Eurodam and absolutely loved it! I am travelling with my family next summer on the Nieuw Amsterdam and have already booked a family retreat cabana. I don't think I would like a lido cabana as I prefer to be away from the 'hub'. The only downside is that the retreat cabanas are 2 decks up from the pool.