Silly Rome bus question

wantocruisemore

We leave for Rome next week and I was just planning out our am bus ride for the trip to the Vatican when I suddenly realized I did not know if a bus automatically stops at every stop, whether there's people waiting or not, or if you need to signal the driver some way.

We will be traveling from apartment to Vatican museum the next morning after arriving in Rome. Already have Vatican tickets and tour guide set up with RIL. I have already mapped out the route and we need to take Bus 40 to Victor Emanuele and then get off and change to Bus 46. This seems easiest enough but the bus will likely be crowded and I don't want us to miss the stop. With 9 of us together (including a DD with autistic tendencies and an elderly MIL) I want to try to get it right and make it easy. Will that transfer stop be quickly recognizable? The group depends on me to plan and navigate so I will need to be alert. My plan was for us to just use a BIT ticket for each. And I have also been reading about how to validate it as well.

I actually did another search just now and put in the address of Cafe Vaticano (which is where we meet our guide) rather than the Vatican Museum and came up with taking Bus 40 to Transpontina/Consiliation and then changing to Bus 23 and getting off at Ramparts of Michelangelo.

Any advice?

The #40 is an express bus and one of the busiest in Rome; since it doesn't have all that many stops it will make every one. To be sure, however, there are buttons by every door and in various other parts of the bus that you push to let the driver know you want the next stop. Of course, that means you need to know what the stop just before yours is!

When I'm on a bus I don't know in Rome I do two things. First, I count stops. Second, I stay on the right side so I can look out a window (even if standing) and read the bus stop signs. You can see in the picture below that the name of the stop is at the top of the sign ... I watch them go by and keep count.

6a013483a13a94970c0148c85c0fef970c-500wi,

Another hint for finding the stop you want on the #40 is that it is the first stop after you cross the river, so when you are on the bridge, hit the "fermata" button and gather your troops.

As for making the change to the #23, consider whether you need to or not. If the bus happens to be at the stop when you get off, or you can see it arriving, fine. If it's not you might consider just walking the rest of the way, from that point it's only a little over a half mile.

We leave for Rome next week and I was just planning out our am bus ride for the trip to the Vatican when I suddenly realized I did not know if a bus automatically stops at every stop, whether there's people waiting or not, or if you need to signal the driver some way...

Your question is not silly.

Since you might ride express and regular buses, here's my answer. Some bus drivers stop at each of their stops if people are standing at the stop, but not all do. I usually step off the curb and wave them down. If you're on the bus, you should press the button when yours is the next stop. If you don't, they might pass by your stop or just open one door for people to get on the bus.

You never know how long you'll have to wait for the next bus. Sometimes it is 20 minutes or more. When you are planning to take multiple buses, you need to allow plenty of time to wait for each bus. Sometimes buses are already packed and may not have room for 9 more people.

Eurocruiser gave you great advice on staying on the right side of the bus so you can read the signs, but depending on how crowded it is, that may not be possible. I've been on a few buses when they are wall to wall people and you had better just know when your stop is without seeing out a window. It can also be difficult to maneuver through the crowd to get off. (And that is in April when it isn't as busy with tourists!)

Since you have a very large group including an older MIL, it is the hot and busy tourist season, and you have an appointment time, I'd recommend splurging and taking taxis to get to the Vatican Museums and then taking the bus after your tour. The Vatican Museums are exhausting in themselves, that I recommend you conserve your time and energy for them.

Have a great trip!

Your question is not silly.

Since you have a very large group including an older MIL, it is the hot and busy tourist season, and you have an appointment time, I'd recommend splurging and taking taxis to get to the Vatican Museums and then taking the bus after your tour. The Vatican Museums are exhausting in themselves, that I recommend you conserve your time and energy for them.

Have a great trip!

I second the suggestion to get taxis for thisjourney - the extra expense will not work out so much per person.

Taxis would be nice, but remember that the OP has nine people in her group, which would require three cabs under most circumstances. She might be able to get away with two if she can find a van cab, but that's not necessarily easy to do.

Another option would be to send those least able to manage public transit in one cab while the others follow by bus.

Taxis would be nice, but remember that the OP has nine people in her group, which would require three cabs under most circumstances. She might be able to get away with two if she can find a van cab, but that's not necessarily easy to do.

Another option would be to send those least able to manage public transit in one cab while the others follow by bus.

We might do that. I've been studying the bus map and it looks like Bus 40 ends at castel d'angelo. Our stop to change to Bus 23 is right before. If we miss it we can get out at the end of route, that place I will recognize. Then we may just walk with the faster ones going on ahead and the others catching a cab if needed. I'm a fast walker and Bus 23 sort of loops up then down, and I might can walk it as just as fast. If I remember correctly, it's not hard to get to the Vatican because you can always see the top of St. Peters.:)

Since there are 9 of us I'm thinking we would need 3 cabs due to the 4 person limit. If needed we could just take 1 cab and I could send maybe my BIL with the cab riders. I figure a cab will be around 10 euros which would be fine.

But one quick cab question, I know you don't just flag them like in DC or NY. Don't you have to either call in advance or go to a cab stand? We're at an apartment so no help there.

I cannot figure out exactly where your apartment is located. I know we were able to walk to the Vatican from the area near the Pantheon and CERTAINLY from Castel d'Angelo!!

You may find that there is a taxi stand near your apartment?? Otherwise you are correct that you'd have to call.

It's also a good idea to have a plan in case your group gets separated - where to meet, etc. It has happened to me, taking my mother and aunt on the Tube in London. Nightmare! It's usually less of a problem on the bus, but I'd still advise a backup plan, especially if everyone doesn't have a cell phone with them.

But one quick cab question, I know you don't just flag them like in DC or NY. Don't you have to either call in advance or go to a cab stand? We're at an apartment so no help there.

Yes, this is true. If you tell us the general area of your apartment perhaps we can help you locate the nearest cab stands.

It's also a good idea to have a plan in case your group gets separated - where to meet, etc. It has happened to me, taking my mother and aunt on the Tube in London. Nightmare! It's usually less of a problem on the bus, but I'd still advise a backup plan, especially if everyone doesn't have a cell phone with them.

This is an excellent point, especially for your large group that depends on you to navigate. Everybody in your group should have the address of your apartment (street name and number) and the places you are meeting in their pocket.

Buses also don't stop for very long. I can see part of your group getting on a crowded bus, but not everyone.

As far as the taxis, if you get one at a taxi stand, there is a 2.80 Euro base charge before going anywhere. If you call a taxi, the meter starts when they leave wherever they are to come get you.

Yes, this is true. If you tell us the general area of your apartment perhaps we can help you locate the nearest cab stands.

No Problem. The apartment is at Via ****onale 172, located in the Quirinale section of the city. The apartment is actually right at one of the largest bus stops near where ****onale connects with Via XXIV Maggio. I should have said that to begin with.

We chose that one due to the size, the air cond., and the location is within easy walking distance to most sites.

I don't know why the street name was **'d out. It's N a z i onale without the spaces.

The street name gets dropped out because the auto scanner reacts to the use of the word that describes the 20th century German political party and its progeny.

I know that neighborhood fairly well, I often stay at a convent a couple of blocks away and use that bus stop when I do. Unfortunately, I can't think of a taxi stand nearby. There is one listed on Via Na*ionale, but I can't figure out where it is ... it must be further up the street, I guess.

The closest one that I know of is in Piazza Venezia, directly across from Palazzo Venezia. To get there from your apartment you'd walk down Via Na*ionale toward Piazza Venezia, it's about a quarter of a mile away. Where Via Na*ionale ends and the traffic makes a hard right turn, on foot you'd keep going straight down a flight of stairs. At the bottom of that road you'd be in Piazza Venezia and the taxi stand is on the right.

Thanks Eurocruiser! I take it you liked the general area then. If there are any outstanding sites, restaurants or little shops etc. in that area that you can think of would be worth a trip, just let me know.

Why don't you just take a taxi, the fee wont be more then 6-7 euro from your apartment to the Vatican!!

If there are any outstanding sites, restaurants or little shops etc. in that area that you can think of would be worth a trip, just let me know.

I just made reservations to stay a couple of blocks from there in October.

You'll be just around the corner from two of my favorite churches in Rome, the tiny gems of Sant 'Andrea al Quirinale and San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane (both on Via del Quirinale).

A fun thing to see in the area is the changing of the guard at the Quirinale Palace (the residence of the President of Italy). It happens every day of the week, at around 3 PM in the winter but I think it's a little later in the summer. Someone in the neighborhood will be able to tell you.

You will be very close to the Trevi Fountain if you use the steps from Piazza Quirinale down to Via della Dataria. This shortcut isn't necessarily obvious on a map but it's great to know about - being so close makes it easy to stop by in the evening and see the fountain lit.

You'll also be very close (about a third of a mile) from a restaurant often recommended here, Taverna dei Fori Imperiali. It will be a easy downhill walk to get there (almost a straight line from your apartment) and the hike back up the hill after dinner will help work off the calories. (Restaurant web site here: http://www.latavernadeiforiimperiali.com/english.htm)

Use the shortcut I described to get to the taxi stand (the steps at the western end of Via Na*ionale) to get to the Forum and Colosseum, or follow the road to Taverna dei Fori Imperiali (Via Mazzarino and Via Sant 'Agata dei Goti) to avoid walking on busy streets.

There is a wonderful little park across the street from your apartment, on the corner of Via Na*ionale and Via Mazzarino, but you wouldn't know it from street level. The park is a full flight of stairs above street level, so along the road you're looking at a brick wall. The entrance to the park is on Via Mazzarino, just off Na*ionale.

Several nights a week there are concerts at St. Paul's, a few blocks up Via Na*ionale (toward Piazza della Repubblica). The web site doesn't seem to have an updated calendar, but here it is anyway: http://www.stpaulsrome.it/english/music/music.html. These are short, inexpensive events (usually about an hour, with a donation of 10 Euro).

THANK YOU EURO CRUISER!!!

I've cut and pasted your suggestions to my notebook. I would never have thought of those.

And actually that restaurant is on my list of possibles. DD needs gluten-free and the food for both gf and regular comes highly recommended. We will definitely check that out. Sounds like a great idea for our first evening!

Archived