Review on our Alaska Cruise aboard the Radiance

we're flying into anchorage driving south to girwood then to homer then back to anchorage and taking the train to seward,we did a cruisetour back in 2009 with a northbound cruise on the radiance,but wanted more freedom this time.

The captain told us to wake up early (again) for the cruise into Yakutat Bay.....the Bay where Hubbard Glacier was located. This day was where the hump balcony (and even the starboard balcony paid off. I felt bad for the people on the port side of the ship. As we approached we watched the glacier come into view. We called our friends with an inside cabin but they were already somewhere watching from above. This was a perfect location. We had the table with our 3 cameras and two camcorders and binoculars so we could grab which ever we required. The water color was outstanding and we were floating through ice from

IMG_1597.jpg

Oh no... I am going on the radiance on he 19th of august and specifically got a balcony for the glacier scenic cruising and guess what side I'm on... Port side. Sucks to be me!

Thanks for an amazing review. We just returned from roundtrip Alaska cruise from Seattle. Have also cruise on Princess with land tour from Fairbanks, cruised Seward to Vancouver. This trip is beyond any of our experiences in Alaska.Just goes to show how different travel can be in Alaska.

Jennat I loved your review, I am not going on my Alaska trip until next June. Now that I have read your reviews the 11 months are going to take forever. :)

Edited by NEWLKAT

Great review..I have to wait till next year to go but reading all this helps with the planning, thanks.

One question about your "Green Moments" please.. We are planning to take the same trip you did in Seward. Were you green because the water was rough? Did the boat created the green for you, too much motion?

Thanks again for all the great info! Glad you have a great trip.

Don't forget about the toursavors book....this is one of the B1G1...it will save you $168 (before taking out the $99 the book costs) Look and see if you can use any of the other coupons in it

THis book was incredible for us.

Oh no... I am going on the radiance on he 19th of august and specifically got a balcony for the glacier scenic cruising and guess what side I'm on... Port side. Sucks to be me!

Who knows how they normally do it....this was just our experience. You probably could switch but sure as you do, he will go backwards.

There is a lot of deck space if he starts to go the other way. Make friends with someone with a starboard balcony and make a deal, "if he turns this way, you come to ours and if he turns that way, we'll come to yours." Problem solved and you have new friends. ;)

Great Review Jen.

Followed it all the way through.

We have sailed on the Radiance a couple of times and really enjoy the Colony Club and the dance floor.

Do you happen to have any pictures of this room from your cruise. We are curious if they changed anything in this area do to the new dining venue they added in this area.

Thanks for taking the time to share your adventures with us.

Don't forget about the toursavors book....this is one of the B1G1...it will save you $168 (before taking out the $99 the book costs) Look and see if you can use any of the other coupons in it

Jen,

We almost bought the book but found out that a lot of the places in it will only honor one coupon per excursion. So if one of their time slots has a person booked with coupon no one else can use it during that booking. So if any one plans on using coupon make sure to call and see if its been applied yet for the desired time.

Jen,

We almost bought the book but found out that a lot of the places in it will only honor one coupon per excursion. So if one of their time slots has a person booked with coupon no one else can use it during that booking. So if any one plans on using coupon make sure to call and see if its been applied yet for the desired time.

Good point....I always book things so far in advance it is not a problem but I know I am in the minority....

I do think that the major marine takes as many as needed.

Great Review Jen.

Followed it all the way through.

We have sailed on the Radiance a couple of times and really enjoy the Colony Club and the dance floor.

Do you happen to have any pictures of this room from your cruise. We are curious if they changed anything in this area do to the new dining venue they added in this area.

Thanks for taking the time to share your adventures with us.

I don't but Shutterbug is posting her awesome review on the Alaska thread. Check it out.....http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1438784

Here pictures are amazing!

She has colony club pics which I stole for you....shhhh don't tell ; )

after breakfast we walkaround and explored some more, found the schooners bar. I really like the decor and the colony club where we found some chess tables and decided to have a game

here are some pictures of the colony club

P6119370.jpg

P6119372.jpg

P6119373.jpg

P6119374.jpg

I have to tell you I kicked his #@% playing chess but to be fair he is usually a very good player> i think he was distracted looking for wild life

I stared taking some photo's in the scooner bar. they had an interesting globe there and

P6119375.jpg

ooh what that

P6119377.jpg

see what i mean?? lol

I don't but Shutterbug is posting her awesome review on the Alaska thread. Check it out.....http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1438784

laughing............. except that jen probably knows I subscibed to her thread as soon as she posted it :D

use whatever you like. sharing info is what makes this board so awesome

Jen,

This is probably a dumb question, but where do you check out the coupon book you are talking about? Loved this review, we are on the same cruise as Newlkat next June.

Gail

Jen,

This is probably a dumb question, but where do you check out the coupon book you are talking about? Loved this review, we are on the same cruise as Newlkat next June.

Gail

toursaver dot com

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the quick response and for the extra effort. I wish my travel agent was half as responsive as you are!!

You truly are amazing Jen.

toursaver dot com

Have a great cruise!

Jen,

Thanks for the information, I'm off to check this out. I've started the Shutterbug review, she is my kind of lady, all the flora and fauna are right up my alley.

Gail

Thank you very for the review we are sailing from Alaska to Sydney and really looking forward to it The ship looks absolutely beautiful. What a great story are also doing the Halo Bay bear tour and a little anxious about it Thanks again great job Sarah and Geoff

Jen.........I must say of the 6 cruises that we have done in Alaska......your's was the best!!:D

What an awesome review. Well done, and I'm sure that some of the companies mentioned that you used........will have no trouble keeping busy from here on out!!

Love your style of writing, and look forward to following you on your next trip!!:);)

Ricki

jen-thanks so much for the amazing review! this has to be one of, if not the best, reviews i've seen/read. most are bland, blah, & lack pics. i can not imagine the amount of time you put into it. your review was very informative & entertaining to read! i laughed so much, you seem to have a great personality & sense of humor. loved all the photos, we have the same cameras too. we have the old sd 850 is & just recently bought the t3i rebel specifically because of our upcoming alaska trip! we are doing the same northbound cruise in early sept & are doing our own 'land tour' with a couple days in anchorage & a couple in denali. thanks again for sharing!

Yes, thanks a lot Jen. I'm probably 1-2 years out for my cruise, and I was ALREADY stressing about the best itinerary to take, which excursions to choose, what clothes to buy, and all the other things to try not to forget about....But now...NOW!!!!! I have to run to the local college to sign up for writing classes so by the time I actually take my cruise, I won't be laughed off the boards because my review wasn't nearly as informative, interesting and entertaining as yours. So thanks SO much for that added pressure....

(and on a serious note, I really, really enjoyed your review!)

Edited by KruisinKath

Just remember when you pack that sometimes it does get warm in Alaska.We've been on two

Alaskan cruises and got lucky w/ weather both times.It was 75-80 degress in both Ketchikan and Sitka,as well as 80 degrees in Talkeetna after the cruise.We packed for cold weather and had to buy more short sleeved tees in Ketchikan.On our second cruise on the Serenade of the Seas two days it was warm enough to swim in the outside pool and I'm a weather wimp.

jen-thanks so much for the amazing review! this has to be one of, if not the best, reviews i've seen/read. most are bland, blah, & lack pics. i can not imagine the amount of time you put into it. your review was very informative & entertaining to read! i laughed so much, you seem to have a great personality & sense of humor. loved all the photos, we have the same cameras too. we have the old sd 850 is & just recently bought the t3i rebel specifically because of our upcoming alaska trip! we are doing the same northbound cruise in early sept & are doing our own 'land tour' with a couple days in anchorage & a couple in denali. thanks again for sharing!

Yes, thanks a lot Jen. I'm probably 1-2 years out for my cruise, and I was ALREADY stressing about the best itinerary to take, which excursions to choose, what clothes to buy, and all the other things to try not to forget about....But now...NOW!!!!! I have to run to the local college to sign up for writing classes so by the time I actually take my cruise, I won't be laughed off the boards because my review wasn't nearly as informative, interesting and entertaining as yours. So thanks SO much for that added pressure....

(and on a serious note, I really, really enjoyed your review!)

Thank you both soooo much for the kind words. I really appreciate it. Have a wonderful time!

I live with me, most of the time, so I don't necessarily view my review as particularly entertaining or funny, but, even I, think the Carnival Victory review below is funny. So it you are bored or going to the southern caribbean, you can check that one out.

Just remember when you pack that sometimes it does get warm in Alaska.We've been on two

Alaskan cruises and got lucky w/ weather both times.It was 75-80 degress in both Ketchikan and Sitka,as well as 80 degrees in Talkeetna after the cruise.We packed for cold weather and had to buy more short sleeved tees in Ketchikan.On our second cruise on the Serenade of the Seas two days it was warm enough to swim in the outside pool and I'm a weather wimp.

Wouldn't this be a GREAT situation to have, you have been so lucky.....I wish warm weather on all of you!!!

I live with me, most of the time, so I don't necessarily view my review as particularly entertaining or funny, but, even I, think the Carnival Victory review below is funny. So it you are bored or going to the southern caribbean, you can check that one out.

You know I had to go check out the Victory review...and here I am, lol, seeing photos of you at Barrachina's in San Juan. Those bar stools are crazy! :D