Review on our Alaska Cruise aboard the Radiance

Are you aware of anyone else who had plumbing issues???

I don't actually remember if there were literally plumbing issues or just the smells at this point....

We are just back from Lake Powell....I did a quickie movie on that trip and now I will get back to the day by day of Alaska...that's why we are all here right :)

If anyone is interested in the Lake Powell video

I will let you know when more Alaska ones are done.

Shen61....I don't use anything special...just imovie. Makes it simple....I have fancier programs but no time to learn to use them.

j_jams, welcome to cruise critic.....Have a great cruise. You must be so excited.

Hello

I hope you had a wonderful time. I went to view your photos and the link wouldn't work for me. Is anyone else having a problem with it?

Try again, I have had several people say they viewed. Both here and via email links. Once the page opens, click on slideshow on the menu at the right side of the page: http://travel.webshots.com/album/580714318RVRgXQ or this one: http://travel.webshots.com/album/580714318RVRgXQ?vhost=travel

Edited by rascalious

Hi Jen;

I have read numerous excellent reviews but this is my absolute favorite!

My grandaughter is 15 and has been wanting to go to Alaska since she was 5. My grandson is 8...Do you think this would be a suitable trip for them...what about the bears??????

I am frightened of EVERYTHING but you make it all sound like so much fun!!!

I cannot wait for your next cruise!!

Thank You so much

Eileen

Hi Eileen,

Thanks for your kind words....

Do I think this is a suitable trip for kids? That is the loaded question isn't it.

Short answer, yes, lots and lots of people take their kids on an Alaskan cruise. Longer answer.....I have a 15yr old boy and a 10 yr old girl. I was glad I didn't take them but that is not to say that they wouldn't have loved it. I think there are moments that they would have loved and never forgotten. I also think there are moments that they would have been a little bored. I think my kids would have probably been fine in the slower moments but they are a little older (at least comparing a 10 yr old girl to an 8 yr old boy). In my opinion, this is not like the other cruise ships they are used to. There is not as much fun and pool time. We also drove A LOT (full day in Skagway and from Seward to Homer, Homer to Anchorage and Anchorage to Palmer and back)

As far as the bears go, with the kids, that is a tough one. I wasn't scared at all but if I had had my kids out there, I'm not sure I would have been as comfortable. Plus you add in the factor of not knowing how the kids are going to react (esp the 8 yr old). Will he take off running, will he be terrified and freak out....I think we were safe but could you enjoy it? They are still wild animals. So I think it would be more suitable for your 15 yr old granddaughter than the 8 yr old grandson. That is not to say that you wouldn't go and have a wonderful time and there were many times I wished my kids were with me......but just as many that I was glad they weren't. I hope that helps and doesn't sound too negative.

BTW, we gave our kids the choice of going with us to Alaska or on the Oasis cruise in Oct and they chose Oasis (it was the same price to add Oasis for the whole family as it was to take them on this trip (with all the excursions we had planned) :eek:

Let me know if I can answer any more questions. I'm sure others have an opinion on this too. Chime in.

Hi Jen

Thanks for your quick reply. It is a most difficult decision...but your response is helpful. Maybe we should wait a little longer!!

Breezy (the 15 yr old) could probably go by herself and the BEARS would definitely be frightened of HER;)

Jordan (8) tries very hard to keep up with his sister, but he is only 8...so, I have my doubts.

BTW, do they have a kids program onboard? I have been on NCL and HAL but never RCL...

Thanks again and I WILL BE STALKING the boards for your next review

Eileen

• 2 weeks later...

Eileen,

I wish I could be of more help. Yes they have a kids program on board. I truly do think you would be fine taking them. Lots and lots of people take their kids. I am just answering with regards to the trip I had and the trip I would have had with them. Still a great one, just different.

I am finishing the Ketchikan and Anchorage Videos right now and will be posting links soon for those interested.

Hey Jen,

Returned from my 14 day Alaskan cruise on HAL Amsterdam last Friday. Sigh....total withdrawal going on here in PA:(. But, since you were kind enough to post your photos from ISP and whale watching w/Misty Bay Lodge in a hurry for me on the Alaskan boards before I left, I just had to come back and give you my report.

We had a SPECTACULAR whale watch with Capt. Dan and Misty Bay Lodge. Whales breaching, bubblenet feeding, spyhopping, flukes, tails and humps everywhere we looked! It was unbelievable! Even Capt. Dan was suitably impressed with the show the whales put on for us that day. It was wonderful. Thanx so much for your review and posting those photos for me - even though you were headed out on a weekend trip. I so appreciated it!

My bear search with Brian of Misty Bay Lodge afterwards was just as good! Watched a bear feeding on salmon in a stream for 45 minutes - slowly walking toward the bridge we were standing on, and ending right beneath us. When he started to come up the side of the bank toward the bridge and I saw Brian slowly slide his rifle off my shoulder is when I whispered "Should I get back in the van now?". Made him smile:D! No need for worries, the bear scooted back down to the water when Brian said "Get away bear" in a calm, cool and collected voice.

The second bear was the one I spotted, a "berry bear" eating his way thru a patch of plump blueberries. We watched him - a huge brown bear - for about a 1/2 hour. All in all, a very productive, though rainy day in ISP. Loved it. Loved the port. Would go back there in a heartbeat! Great experience with Misty Bay Lodge. Thanks again. Loved your review. Re-reading it has made me more and more homesick for Alaska.

Wow, I am so very, very glad that you had such a wonderful day. They are really nice people aren't they. And I, too, loved the town.

I can't believe the luck you had with the wildlife. What am I saying, yes I can, it's Alaska. But, I'm glad you got to witness all of that.

How was the rest of your cruise?

I have a couple more videos done and uploaded to you tube if anyone is interested.

Here is a silly, 56sec movie trailer of our Alaska trip

Here is Vancouver, boarding the ship and the inside passage

Here is Ketchikan, Misty Fjords flight plane and the town

I hope you enjoy them!

The Icy Strait Point video is posted if anyone is interested.

I went out of order because someone asked me to finish that one first. I will try and go back to the beginning and do them in order now. :D

Wonderful video!

Quick question since you were recently on board the Radiance - what kind of hair dryers do they have in the cabins - are they still those really weak hose type things?

Honestly, I don't remember. I am thinking I must have brought my own hairdryer (how sad is it that I can't remember) BUT if memory serves....isn't it Carnival that has the hose hairdryers? I think RCL usually has the hairdryers in the drawer that are just the white normal ones. Just making an educated guess though...

Honestly, I don't remember. I am thinking I must have brought my own hairdryer (how sad is it that I can't remember) BUT if memory serves....isn't it Carnival that has the hose hairdryers? I think RCL usually has the hairdryers in the drawer that are just the white normal ones. Just making an educated guess though...

Thanks, I couldn't remember either since it's been a while since I've been on RCCL.

• 1 month later...
Looks like Royal Caribbean did not do any work on the furniture. That soft looks very dirty and worn. Nice review so far though. Great photos.

It does look bad but we didn't notice it at all in reality. I think it may be a trick of the light.

Jennat-

Excellent pics and commentary. Have done 2 Alaska cruises and now feel like I need to go again. The scenery on the Inside Passage is breathtaking and you can't begin to put it into words. We did the same Yukon Territory tour you two did, and yes, Carcross......I looked at it as just a rest stop. Were the giant mosquitos out when you were at the lake? :eek:

Enoyed your review and pics completely, until you mentioned Casa Bonita....I try not to think of that place. Shook the thought out of my head and continued reading and looking.

Glad you both had a great time and Skagway is my favourite port on the Alaska cruises.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, I couldn't remember either since it's been a while since I've been on RCCL.

I don't know if it is the same, but we just got off the Oasis and they had a traditional L shaped hairdryer on board.

I will write that review as soon as I SLLLLEEEEPPPP! I am so tired. But what a ship!

Jennat-

Excellent pics and commentary. Have done 2 Alaska cruises and now feel like I need to go again. The scenery on the Inside Passage is breathtaking and you can't begin to put it into words. We did the same Yukon Territory tour you two did, and yes, Carcross......I looked at it as just a rest stop. Were the giant mosquitos out when you were at the lake? :eek:

Enoyed your review and pics completely, until you mentioned Casa Bonita....I try not to think of that place. Shook the thought out of my head and continued reading and looking.

Glad you both had a great time and Skagway is my favourite port on the Alaska cruises.

Thankfully, NO mosquitoes! That doesn't sound fun!

Ha ha on the Casa Bonita....when did I mention that???:o

1S-AlaskaCruise2005019.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

Look at the bottle neck part....a lot smaller.

He said it was 60 ft per year for many years.

Found this....

656 feet lost on its east side in 2004 and 269 feet lost on its west side in 2005 -

I started reading this thread as we will be on Serenade next May, also I love to see pics of Alaska. Ohh Mendenhall glacier shrinking is sad to me! The waterfall used to be a part of the glacier when I was a kid. We hiked up to the edge of the glacier and that was about 50 yards from the visito's center. Your photo shows it has receded since 2010 when I was back for my 30th high school reunion. Thanks for the pics!

I started reading this thread as we will be on Serenade next May, also I love to see pics of Alaska. Ohh Mendenhall glacier shrinking is sad to me! The waterfall used to be a part of the glacier when I was a kid. We hiked up to the edge of the glacier and that was about 50 yards from the visito's center. Your photo shows it has receded since 2010 when I was back for my 30th high school reunion. Thanks for the pics!

If anyone has any pictures from when the glacier was out to the waterfall, I would love to see them. It is amazing (the change)....and a tad scary!