Review on our Alaska Cruise aboard the Radiance

Looks like Royal Caribbean did not do any work on the furniture. That soft looks very dirty and worn. Nice review so far though. Great photos.

Actually I think it is the lighting. If you notice the wall looks like there is a reflection of the light through the balcony door. That same light is striking the couch, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.

First read your Oasis review due to being on The Allure next month then had to read your Radiance review.

Much like you, we're warm weather folks and have been saving the Alaska cruise for a time when we get our fill of the warm weather. But after reading your review and seeing all the great adventures you had heading up north, we may have to rethink saving Alaska for our twilight years. Can't imagine riding an ATV when we're dragging around oxygen tanks in a few years.

Thanks for such great reviews.

Wow.

First read your Oasis review due to being on The Allure next month then had to read your Radiance review.

Much like you, we're warm weather folks and have been saving the Alaska cruise for a time when we get our fill of the warm weather. But after reading your review and seeing all the great adventures you had heading up north, we may have to rethink saving Alaska for our twilight years. Can't imagine riding an ATV when we're dragging around oxygen tanks in a few years.

Thanks for such great reviews.

Thanks!

Let me know if you have any questions about it. We got back in June and I am so hankering to go again. Best trip we have taken. Don't know that I would have enjoyed it as much if I had been on a train and done Denali. I think it is the active parts of it that I loved. Seriously, go.

If you need help convincing anyone, give me a call. I am up to the challenge!

mjcrouch@4dv.net

A note on the furniture:

We were on the Jewel for our honeymoon and I noticed in my pictures (while still on the ship) that the fabric came out looking dirty just like the ones on her Radiance sofa.

After playing around with my camera and investigating the sofa, I figured out that the fabric has a slight sheen to it and it reflects in photos as what looks like dirt!

Edited by smileyperry

A note on the furniture:

We were on the Jewel for our honeymoon and I noticed in my pictures (while still on the ship) that the fabric came out looking dirty just like the ones on her Radiance sofa.

After playing around with my camera and investigating the sofa, I figured out that the fabric has a slight sheen to it and it reflects in photos as what looks like dirt!

Yeah, what he said.

WOW!!!!!! I don't think words can adequately describe your review and photos! They were truly phenomenal!

My DH just mentioned to me a couple of nights ago he would love a trip to Alaska. Your review and photos has inspired me to plan one for July, 2013. If we were not already booked for the Med this coming summer (& DD looking forward to spending her bday in Spain), I would change cruises.

I will be looking to when they post the availability for the Radiance for July, 2013 and book early to get a prime aft cabin (DH only loves aft balconies).

Also, that bear tour looks and sounds like something that would be a great experience! We will definitely be looking to combine the cruise with a week land tour.

WOW!!!!!! I don't think words can adequately describe your review and photos! They were truly phenomenal!

My DH just mentioned to me a couple of nights ago he would love a trip to Alaska. Your review and photos has inspired me to plan one for July, 2013. If we were not already booked for the Med this coming summer (& DD looking forward to spending her bday in Spain), I would change cruises.

I will be looking to when they post the availability for the Radiance for July, 2013 and book early to get a prime aft cabin (DH only loves aft balconies).

Also, that bear tour looks and sounds like something that would be a great experience! We will definitely be looking to combine the cruise with a week land tour.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the review. I really wasn't that enthralled with going to Alaksa (until right before of course). It is our favorite trip we have ever taken and we can't wait to go back. We also talk about what we would do differently on the second time because of the been there done that thing and honestly. I think we would do almost everything we did again. Couldn't have been more pleased. Would highly recommend all of it, except we wouldn't do the flight seeing in Ketchikan. Just not that excited about it....nothing wrong with the company, etc, just ehhhh.

Definitely, definitely, definitely do the bears. If you do nothing else. I would say that about the 7 1/2 hour tour our of Seward too. You just see so much. You will be seeing the inside of you stomach contents too if you don't take some meds....be advised. LOVED the ATVing.....Skagway was incredibly beautiful and would definitely take that drive again, either with Dyea Dave or on your own. Defies imagination.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. LOVED this trip!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the review. I really wasn't that enthralled with going to Alaksa (until right before of course). It is our favorite trip we have ever taken and we can't wait to go back. We also talk about what we would do differently on the second time because of the been there done that thing and honestly. I think we would do almost everything we did again. Couldn't have been more pleased. Would highly recommend all of it, except we wouldn't do the flight seeing in Ketchikan. Just not that excited about it....nothing wrong with the company, etc, just ehhhh.

Definitely, definitely, definitely do the bears. If you do nothing else. I would say that about the 7 1/2 hour tour our of Seward too. You just see so much. You will be seeing the inside of you stomach contents too if you don't take some meds....be advised. LOVED the ATVing.....Skagway was incredibly beautiful and would definitely take that drive again, either with Dyea Dave or on your own. Defies imagination.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. LOVED this trip!

We would like try to copy your trip. I liked the order you did things as well but I guess we could reverse it depending on dates for cruise and what my DH wants to do for his bday (it's the end of July). My guess is my college daughter will want to go too so we would have to be back by second week of Aug.

The only thing we would not try is the ATV. One of my DD's is mentally disabled and that would not work for her. But everything else would!

Thanks again for taking the time for that wonderful review. The cruiseline should put you on retainer because my guess is you have sold alot of Alaskan cruises. I know your review sold me!:D

We would like try to copy your trip. I liked the order you did things as well but I guess we could reverse it depending on dates for cruise and what my DH wants to do for his bday (it's the end of July). My guess is my college daughter will want to go too so we would have to be back by second week of Aug.

The only thing we would not try is the ATV. One of my DD's is mentally disabled and that would not work for her. But everything else would!

Thanks again for taking the time for that wonderful review. The cruiseline should put you on retainer because my guess is you have sold alot of Alaskan cruises. I know your review sold me!:D

Thanks, enjoy. One thing people say is to cruise down, so that your longest flight is at the beginning. I wanted to be there on June 20th (cuz it's almost the longest day of the year.....plus, because of the bears I wanted to do that as late as possible. so you might look into when the best bear viewing opportunities are and let that factor in to your decision.

Hi

Thank you so much for your review, I loved reading it all. I started reading to learn about the Radiance of the Seas as I finally get to cruise on her next week. Even if it is only for 2 nights but i will do the South Pacific on her in March. Alaska is at the top of my list for must do and it was great to be able to show the DH all your fantastic photos. One thing i really want to see is bears in the wild and i hope Alaska will be the place to do that.

Thanks again for such a great review

Tania :)

I need to say that I am SERIOUSLY thinking about trying to find a better paying job! (Love my class but dang, am I envious of your travels!) ;0) I am trying to get through this review today, wish me luck! :p

Well I finished it and Yeppers, still very jealous!!!! Now time to go get dressed for the day; oh my, it is almost 11!!!!

Amazing review. I've been on the fence about Alaska because I hate cold/damp/misty/rainy and summers aren't my best travel times due to business plus BEARS!!!, but I'll admit, I'm rethinking it! Even the bears! Now whales on the other hand - love the thought of that, any day, any time!

Your adventures make it all sound so fun!

Congrats on your awesome trip & review.

Think Pink!

Hunzi

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished a couple more videos from our Alaska trip if anyone is interested.

Skagway

Which was beautiful. just a reminder, we went with Dyea Dave into the Yukon to Emerald Lake

and

Juneau for our cloudy whale watching....

• 3 weeks later...

My family had been looking at this cruise for next summer. How fortunate that I found this page, and the links to shutterbug's additional review, as I believe they have made the decision for us. Can't wait to try and match the photographs!

Thanks to both of you, and to everyone else who added helpful comments along the way.

Richard, from Westmont, Illinois

Thanks for the kind words :D

Here are a couple more movies I finished

This one is just the highlights of the ports of call and Kenai

Here are moments on board the ship

http://www.youtube.com/user/jennatfleck?feature=watch#p/a/u/0/L6le3tmuIYU

ATVing in Palmer

http://www.youtube.com/user/jennatfleck?feature=watch#p/a/u/0/L6le3tmuIYU

And lastly, Hubbard Glacier

http://gallery.me.com/flipfloppincastaways#100922

And I am officially done with the Alaska videos....yea!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jen! OMG. Ok, so I read this when you posted it (pre Oasis) and then I died laughing when you posted our Oasis trip. Hilarious, both of them.

And, now?

WE'VE BOOKED THE SAME TRIP!

Ok, so it's a year and a couple of weeks later. And with our family instead of you. But still, this is going to be HUGE in planning.

Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU!

P.S. I showed my daughter (Lauren) the post-trip bear excursion and she is BEGGING me to do it. BEGGING ME. As in "we can leave Dad/Mason and they can parasail (um Alaska?) but you and I ARE GOING!".

After we went through the photos and I shut down last night I realized I didn't even know WHERE that was. LOL. Going back to check. So utterly excited. Only 471 days to goooooo

P.S. I showed my daughter (Lauren) the post-trip bear excursion and she is BEGGING me to do it. BEGGING ME. As in "we can leave Dad/Mason and they can parasail (um Alaska?) but you and I ARE GOING!".

After we went through the photos and I shut down last night I realized I didn't even know WHERE that was. LOL. Going back to check. So utterly excited. Only 471 days to goooooo

How fun to read your excitement, you will love the Radiance and amazing Alaska. It is the perfect ship class to sail that itinerary. Don't forget your swimsuits- the Solarium was nice and toasty during our Serenade cruise. And we had 72 (albeit rare) degrees on our HAL Alaska cruise in September that year. And just wanted to mention that you CAN book a snorkel and SCUBA excursion (in Ketchikan), and go zip-lining at Icy Strait Point! It's actually the world's largest zip-line (longest?) at 5,330 feet long, with a 1,300 ft. vertical drop and 60 mph maximum speed! :cool:

Jen! OMG. Ok, so I read this when you posted it (pre Oasis) and then I died laughing when you posted our Oasis trip. Hilarious, both of them.

And, now?

WE'VE BOOKED THE SAME TRIP!

Ok, so it's a year and a couple of weeks later. And with our family instead of you. But still, this is going to be HUGE in planning.

Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU!

Funny how things work. you will love this trip. I have said it before and I will say it again, favorite trip of all time. I can't wait to get back to Alaska. I would definitely do what we did in the Kenai Penninsula instead of doing Denali (of course you are going to find others who tell you the opposite). The bear thing was the most amazing experience. You just can't describe it. So peaceful and not scary and I am scared of my shadow so it is not rational.

We did the bear "thing" in Katmai national park so if you are in the Kenai penninsula and drive to the end you get to Homer. Then we fly to Katmai.

The ATV was awesome also. Definately check that out.

We actually wouldn't change anything we did except the flight seeing in Ketchikan (which a lot of people love)....not me so much :)

Feel free to ask any questions and don't forget I have a ton of Alaska movies on you tube to help you get excited.

Yeah for you. I am so happy for you. Maybe we will go too, as your travel guides, or room stewards, or baggage carriers, anything........

We are actually looking to raft the Grand Canyon that May so probably can't do both, dang it.....someday!

ALSO, definitely do the Fjords tour in Seward.....

Good to hear from you!

Hi Jen, thank you so much for writing this review, and posting your amazing photos. I live in South Australia and my daughter and I will be sailing on the Radiance in January 2013. We are so excited! We are going to the Fijian islands. I now want to do a cruise to Alaska and also Hawaii... on the Radiance of course!!! I look forward to reading about your next cruise. Happy sailing and I'd love to share a margarita on the Radiance with you one day!

Jen:

This is the second time I've read your review. I think it will live on forever on these boards! Thanks for taking the time to post it. I only wish I could figure out how to post photos from Photobucket on these boards. Ugh!

Can you provide some more information on the Copper Whale B&B? I saw the pics, but there wasn't a lot of commentary.

Thanks in advance.

Jen:

This is the second time I've read your review. I think it will live on forever on these boards! Thanks for taking the time to post it. I only wish I could figure out how to post photos from Photobucket on these boards. Ugh!

Can you provide some more information on the Copper Whale B&B? I saw the pics, but there wasn't a lot of commentary.

Thanks in advance.

The Copper Whale B& B was fine. There was only either metered parking or a garage a couple blocks down. The rooms were adequate.....There was absolutely nothing to complain about and I don't think they could do anything to improve upon what was there. The grounds were well attended and the rooms were clean and nice. That being said, for whatever reason, it didn't blow me away. I can't say why. Would we stay there again, absolutely but more likely, we would look for somewhere else. Like I said, no reason at all.

I know this probably doesn't help at all. It was located about 4 or 5 blocks from the main area of downtown. Very walkable.....

Thanks for the nice comments :D