Review on our Alaska Cruise aboard the Radiance

Thanks Jen for this review! I loved the pictures and your style of writing. I so want to cruise with you some day! We are planning Alaska July 2013 and I so can't wait now after reading your review. You have made me take a second look at the Radiance - we were thinking about the Millennium!

One question I do have: you said you rented a car in Seward and then returned it in Anchorage. Was the one way charge astronomical? We are considering a one way from Fairbanks to Anchorage and then taking the train to Seward, but I've read that the one way charges can be out of sight.

Thanks Jen for this review! I loved the pictures and your style of writing. I so want to cruise with you some day! We are planning Alaska July 2013 and I so can't wait now after reading your review. You have made me take a second look at the Radiance - we were thinking about the Millennium!

One question I do have: you said you rented a car in Seward and then returned it in Anchorage. Was the one way charge astronomical? We are considering a one way from Fairbanks to Anchorage and then taking the train to Seward, but I've read that the one way charges can be out of sight.

Thanks!

Yep, it was expensive....but it could have been the renting in Seward piece. There is only one car company in town so they call all the shots.

With the competition in Fairbanks, maybe it won't be so bad.

Ours was $566 including taxes for Fri am to Mon pm:eek:

I think the drop off charge was around $200

PS there is a B1G1 coupon for the train in the toursavor book

Thanks!

Yep, it was expensive....but it could have been the renting in Seward piece. There is only one car company in town so they call all the shots.

With the competition in Fairbanks, maybe it won't be so bad.

Ours was $566 including taxes for Fri am to Mon pm:eek:

I think the drop off charge was around $200

PS there is a B1G1 coupon for the train in the toursavor book

Guess I'm getting the toursaver book! Surely they don't have a one coupon limit per train run? I was debating on the book to see if the excursions we want will take the coupon, but with 4 of us(possibly 5) this will come in handy for the Goldstar service to Seward! Thanks again for more wonderful information!

Guess I'm getting the toursaver book! Surely they don't have a one coupon limit per train run? I was debating on the book to see if the excursions we want will take the coupon, but with 4 of us(possibly 5) this will come in handy for the Goldstar service to Seward! Thanks again for more wonderful information!

double check me first but that is what I remember.....I'm sure you can use more than one per train but once again, don't know anything for sure....it is worth a phone call!

Definitely don't take my word for it....check.

Thank you for the great review!

We are going a similar cruise as you in August on board Holland America. We embark in Vancouver and end in Seward. We are then doing a 10 day land tour. We are also going with Major Marines on I think the same trip as you, booked with Toursavor coupon. We are going to Denali and spending 3 days in Homer. I really want to go on a bear trip in Homer but don't think we have time with our other plans. Hubby wants to go Halibut fishing there. Really loved all your pictures!!

Thank you for the great review!

We are going a similar cruise as you in August on board Holland America. We embark in Vancouver and end in Seward. We are then doing a 10 day land tour. We are also going with Major Marines on I think the same trip as you, booked with Toursavor coupon. We are going to Denali and spending 3 days in Homer. I really want to go on a bear trip in Homer but don't think we have time with our other plans. Hubby wants to go Halibut fishing there. Really loved all your pictures!!

Cancel your other plans. It was amazing and I guarantee nothing else will top it.

Have a great time!!!

Edited by jennat

Cancel your other plans. It was amazing and I guarantee nothing else will top it.

Have a great time!!!

Well upon much deliberation I booked a bear trip out of Homer! I called Emerald Air but they were booked for the two full days we will be there. I got reservations through K Bay Air. Trip Advisor gives them great reviews so it sounded good to me. My only worry is that we will be cancelled due to weather. Weather is so unpredictable in Alaska you just don't know. Unfortunately the only day they had available is our 2nd day so no room to reschedule if we get cancelled due to weather. They do offer a 100% refund if there is a weather cancellation. Crossing my fingers on this one that it happens and we get to fly. They fly to the same area as you went to, Hallo Bay in the Katami. I'll report back at the end of August and let you know how it goes!

Reading your review and seeing your pictures was the final push to book this bear trip. Thank you!

I loved your review. It was like being on the trip with you. Amazing wildlife pictures, especially the bears in Homer. But I think I would have run away screaming like a little girl. They truly are amazing animals. You cruise brought back so many wonderful memories from my own in 2009. I'm sure I'll cruise Alaska again in the future. Thanks for taking the time to write this wonderful piece of art, which made me smile while reading it :D

Cindy

Later we went to Stanley park (on the trolley). We got off on the first stop and decided to walk the sea wall for a bit.

IMG_0121.jpg

For the record, there is no “walk the seawall for a bit”. You either commit or your don’t. By the time you get to the bridge you may as well just have your mail forwarded there because that is your new home for the next several miles. It was a lovely walk and certainly not hard (unless of course you have to pee like a race horse like I did and then it totally sucks!) You have the sea on one side and a steep, 50 foot wall of land on the other.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

And it keeps going, and going, and going…….

Finally you reach third beach and you can climb out and either visit the tea house or the concession stand. I chose the ladies room.

We caught the trolley and headed back into to town. We exited the bus by where you catch the water ferry over to Granville Island. We walked for a bit and had lunch at the Burrard Bridge Bar and Grill.

IMG_0186.jpg

It was very good. We walked the seawall back to Yaletown and went back to the hotel.

Wonderful memories, love love Vancouver. Thanks for the nice thread!

Well upon much deliberation I booked a bear trip out of Homer! I called Emerald Air but they were booked for the two full days we will be there. I got reservations through K Bay Air. Trip Advisor gives them great reviews so it sounded good to me. My only worry is that we will be cancelled due to weather. Weather is so unpredictable in Alaska you just don't know. Unfortunately the only day they had available is our 2nd day so no room to reschedule if we get cancelled due to weather. They do offer a 100% refund if there is a weather cancellation. Crossing my fingers on this one that it happens and we get to fly. They fly to the same area as you went to, Hallo Bay in the Katami. I'll report back at the end of August and let you know how it goes!

Reading your review and seeing your pictures was the final push to book this bear trip. Thank you!

Yea! I am so excited for you. I really would like to hear about it when you get back. I hope you have as amazing (and fearless) time as I did.

I was worried about the weather too but I think it would have to be bad for them to cancel. I wouldn't worry about it, looking back.

mjcrouch@4dv.net either email me or post here so I can hear all about it. I am so glad you are biting the bullet and going. It truly was an experience of a lifetime. Where are you staying in Homer?

Have a great trip!

Hey guys

I have been working on my videos and have several done or almost done.

Here is the one from Seward, aboard major marine. It was awesome, lots and lots of marine life.

If you have 8 minutes to spare, check it out.

Thanks

I am uploading the Bears movie as we speak (type :) )

Edited by jennat

Hey guys

I have been working on my videos and have several done or almost done.

Here is the one from Seward, aboard major marine. It was awesome, lots and lots of marine life.

If you have 8 minutes to spare, check it out.

Thanks

I am uploading the Bears movie as we speak (type :) )

Very nicely done..... ...Thanks again for all the great pics and awesome review..:)

I'm back love both videos, almost feels like we don't have to go see Alaska because both you and shutterbug have done such a great job, feels like I've been there. BUT we're going June 0f 2012. Can't wait. I'll pass on the Bear trek, loved your pictures just couldn't do it!

Gail

I'm back love both videos, almost feels like we don't have to go see Alaska because both you and shutterbug have done such a great job, feels like I've been there. BUT we're going June 0f 2012. Can't wait. I'll pass on the Bear trek, loved your pictures just couldn't do it!

Gail

Chicken ;) :D

The Icy Strait Point video is posted if anyone is interested.

I went out of order because someone asked me to finish that one first. I will try and go back to the beginning and do them in order now. :D

Liked the video's!! nice work! You even got some footage of the bear on the search. (all I got was bud's head!!!) lol

Thanks

I had to crop it or you got a BIG pic of Florence in the review mirror!

Thanks for the whale (etc) pictures.

In retrospect, our pictures kinda stunk.

Tip for Alaska everyone: ALWAYS take your binoculars and ALL of your cameras.....we left our SLR on the ship and Shutterbugs pictures left us in the dust! (it couldn't have just been the skill of the photographer...nooooo)

Edited by jennat

Thanks

I had to crop it or you got a BIG pic of Florence in the review mirror!

Thanks for the whale (etc) pictures.

In retrospect, our pictures kinda stunk.

Tip for Alaska everyone: ALWAYS take your binoculars and ALL of your cameras.....we left our SLR on the ship and Shutterbugs pictures left us in the dust! (it couldn't have just been the skill of the photographer...nooooo)

Lol. Now I want to see the uncropped version of that too!!:D

They did not!!! I especially love the one where it shows how close the whales came to our boat!!

:rolleyes:Just new to cruise critic. my sister-in-law PrincessStar said that your pictures were a must see.

We will be going on the Radiance next year for the Hawaiian cruise April 22nd. It's nice to see how the ship has been refurbished.

We would like to get with other Macadamia nuts if possible.

Edited by j_jams