Excursions or not?

kcwiak

DH and I are going on the Miracle in 14 days and we did not choose this cruise for the ports. We chose it to just get away. In fact, we did not see on excursion we would be interested it What percentage of people stay on the ship when at port and do they have things going on during this time for people still on board?

Thanks for you help!

There will be plenty to do on the ship, plus they do spa specials on port days. We always do something in the islands even if it is just getting off and checking thing out on our own. We have done excursions during most stops. But we had one canceled do to weather and we aren't doing one this time in St. Thomas because this will be our third time there. We just want to go into town this time. We always like to check out the island see how things are in different places and experience different places and things.

We don't usually book excursions, but we do get off the ship and look around a bit, sometimes take public transportation somewhere. I don't think I've ever just stayed on the ship the whole day in port unless I was sick, and that only happened once.

.....I would try to do an excursion a day, although it was probably more for me than him because I'm sure he would like nothing more than to stay on the ship, even with nothing to do.

On my upcoming cruise (he won't be joining), in Grand Turk we're doing a catamaran/snorkel excursion, on HMC we just rented a cabana (not a real excursion, just some place to hang) and we'll probably walk around Nassau, stop at Senor Frogs and go back to the ship.

wasiii

We were on our first cruise in February and went on an excursion at every port (4). That pretty much ruined our cruise! We felt as though we were always on the run - even the kids felt that way. We were never so happy to end a vacation! But......after getting home we realized we would've really enjoyed the cruise had we not been so busy and been able to enjoy the ship more. So we do plan on going on another cruise at some point, but this time with a lot more "down" time and relaxation. We will probably get off the ship at every port and wander around, just not do an organized excursion at every port.

DH and I are going on the Miracle in 14 days and we did not choose this cruise for the ports. We chose it to just get away. In fact, we did not see on excursion we would be interested it What percentage of people stay on the ship when at port and do they have things going on during this time for people still on board?

Thanks for you help!

On a warm-weather cruise we usually just walk off the ship and go to the beach. Maybe a scuba diving excursion if it's not too ridiculously overpriced.

If we're not beaching, we will walk around town or maybe take a cab to an interesting attraction we've read about.

In Nassau, I'm going for conch chowder.

Sleep in late every day and then enjoy a leisurely breakfast without the crowds. Get off the ship for an hour or two just to check out the area. Before you know it, everyone else will be back and the activities will be going again.

Sometimes its real nice to just hang out on the empty ship, we've done that in ports we've been to a million times. BUT, there's nothing wrong with not getting and excursion but still just getting off the ship, walking around, finding a bar, local dive, being adventurous. That's what we usually end up doing, and it's always fun!

We recently did a b2b on the Freedom and did 2 excursions. All of the other ports we would have a leisurely breakfast, wait for the crowds to clear and just got off - explored, took buses around town, sampled local beer and food, went to internet cafes to check stocks and emails, browsed through shops (always tried to buy an island coffee - my one vice). We would get back to the ship a little early and had our choice of chairs on the Serenity deck, of course, after having a little snack. Have done the excursion at every port thing and needed a vacation when I got home.

That's a good question. We are booked on our second cruise, and it's going to the same ports. Last time we did the sea lion encounter and the dolphin encounter (Nassau and Freeport) and this time we will either stay on the ship, or go to the beach. Would love to do something at Port Canaveral, but all the excursions we might want to do are so $$ that for a family of four it's just too much.

I always book an excursion for every port. If I don't I would end up just wandering around the pier and be back on the ship pretty quickly. I find this to be true after my excursion. There is not enough to keep me entertained.

The feel of having the ship to yourself is enjoyable, if indeed, the ship is docked and you don't leave the ship at all. We always at least get off and walk around even if we've been to the port multiple times. For the last five years, however, we're into private tours. Lots of great recommendations on CC and TripAdvisor, enjoyable SMALL groups, good prices, and great guides who take the time to show you the off the beaten path sights and views of their loved islands. Regardless, enjoy your next cruise. :)

In Grand Cayman I stay on the ship. Get the Serenity deck all to myself. The pirate boat usually attacks. Dolphin play in the water.

They schedule a trivia game but usually I'm the only one. Once I got a ship on a stick for showing up. Felt like I gyped though.

Thanks for you help!

I do this alot! The only time that I get off the ship in the Caribe. is when I have newbies with me that haven't been in port. I love the cruise for the ship.

The only exception to this is Alaska, we always get off in every port.

Archived