currency for alaska cruise

buddymum

This is the itinerary that you're only in Victoria for a couple of hours at night isn't it? if so, I wouldn't bother with any Canadian.

You are right about Victoria but we will also be entering Canada on a excursion out of Skagway. Being from England we have to change pounds into American dollars so I don't really want to change again for Canada?

You are right about Victoria but we will also be entering Canada on a excursion out of Skagway. Being from England we have to change pounds into American dollars so I don't really want to change again for Canada?

I honestly wouldn't bother. Both are completely used to being given US dollars. But as someone said you might end up with a bit of Canadian Change. Maybe try and take some small US bills onshore.

I honestly wouldn't bother. Both are completely used to being given US dollars. But as someone said you might end up with a bit of Canadian Change. Maybe try and take some small US bills onshore.

Well maybe if we get a lot of canadian change that will be a good excuse to book a holiday in Western Canada!!!!!

Thanks for advice everyone.

Alaska here we come!

You could use your credit card and they will do the conversion to your own currency. They use to give the correct exchange rate but I think that has been changed.

You can also use the US currency. The place of business will adjust for the difference mostly in their favor. Even the exchange at the banks varies from bank to bank. Advice is use the US and don't worry about the difference, it will be less in the long run. I was at a bank in Toronto years ago. Exchanged $100 US into Canadian. I then asked the cashier if I give this back to you will I get my $100 bill back. Was told no that I would get back $97.

That's normal - it's the reason we always keep any left over currency for our next trip!

I'm quite surprised that Canadian shops and restaurants accept USD ($). In the UK the vast majority of shops only accept GBP (£) - it is only big stores and/or London that take Euros or $.

There is no place to shop or buy lunch in Fraser. A few souvenirs are available on the train for $10 or $20 (baseball cap, DVD, photo booklet). USD and CAD are both accepted, but they prefer exact change. I have not taken the full-day trip to Carcross.

Buddymum,

Don't mess with cash or cheques use your debit/credit card - the easiest way to travel in Alaska/Canada

Cheers

Scouser David

Yes, use your credit card/ or ATM/debit card. In most foreign countries you can use one and the conversion is done. However, you need to let your bank know before you go that you will be using your debit card in Canada and you need to let your credit card company know also. We found this out a couple years ago when we traveled to Ireland. We used our ATM card to get Euros every place we traveled but we did have to let our bank know before we left the U.S> that we were going to be doing that.

Just want to emphasize what Tenn4ever said-you MUST let your credit card company know you are going to Canada or it may be declined.

Back to the original question-you won't be going anywhere that does not accept US dollars.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We've traveled extensively in Canada and never found a place that didn't take US Dollars. That said, your best exchange rate is always at an ATM, never using a Credit Card as ALL the Credit Card companies charge a currency exchange fee. On almost all Cards, it's another 3%!

The Canadian dollar is better than the American dollar right now. So although you can use American dollars it will cost you a few cents more. 1 U.S dollar is only worth .98 cents Canadian today. As other posters have suggested, if you use your credit card the conversion may in fact be even more, meaning less than .98 cents and the additional credit card conversion fee is not worth it.... the banks are rich enough! take cash!

Archived