Nenana River Whitewater - How Rough?

FPJC03

we have booked the Nenana River Gorge Whitewater trip through Princess for our first night at the Denali Princess lodge in late July. The only available time slot was 6-9pm. Booked it since sunset isn't until 10pm or later then.

Then I read that the river might be calmer later in the day. It would make my wife happy but I prefer challenging whitewater (did New River in WVA and Delaware River in PA). Does anyone have experience as to how big the rapids should be at that time of year and day?

And should I buy a waterproof camera for the trip?

I was on a white water trip, again, early this month. There are a couple vendors, of which I have a preference-and they aren't a ship contractor.

I would say, it's goiing to be down a few notches from your other, listed tours. The ride is good, yes, and a good use of time, if you don't have a car and have the interest. Especiially good, if you book yourself with a coupon. Otherwise, I would be heading back into the park to Savage River, looking for wildlife in the evening. :)

Only you can decide. There aren't going to be many other touring opportunities in that timeframe. Hopefully you have the TWT included, the next day. If you are there for 2 nights (necessary in my opinion) then you probably could book a morning raft trip?

Yes, we are there for 2nights, the second day we will be taking the Denali shuttle to Eielson and back for about an 8-hr roundtrip visit to the park. Since we get to Denali Princess lodge in mid afternoon, the only excursions were the evening one to Nenana River.

We went with Denali Outdoor Center last year and had a good time. We will do the paddle rafting next year as frugaltravel mentioned. It looks a bit more exciting. Here’s a video of some of the rapids in the Canyon Run that you may experience, regardless of who you go with.

http://alaska.org/videos-photos/videopop3.jsp?Denali-Outdoor-Center-2011-wm-640FL8.flv

Archived