Stupid question!

rolosmum

What is the wind like in the middle of the sea, say cruising in July in the western med! Is it like a windy day on the beach (and i mean if it has been an average warm day in a port etc).

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but i am trying to gauge the warmth of stuff to pack for my 9 and 12 year old so they can be on deck of an evening and not freeze to death, but dont want to carry heavier or more stuff than needed!

its always windy on deck, your ship is ...its not any different than riding in a convertible in July. If the ship is heading into the wind then you'll feel it less. If its a tailwind, you'll be blown from aft to bow! I don't know where you're sailing in July where you think he'll freeze to death, Alaska perhaps? If its Alaska, then do pack a lined jacket, that's all you'll need. If you're cruising the Caribbean, he won't need anything at night.

its always windy on deck, your ship is moving

I don't necessarily agree. If you are going 20 knots in a 20 knot tail wind there is almost zero relative wind.

Now if you turn that tail wind into a head wind... hold on to your hat.

its always windy on deck, your ship is ...its not any different than riding in a convertible in July. If the ship is heading into the wind then you'll feel it less. If its a tailwind, you'll be blown from aft to bow! I don't know where you're sailing in July where you think he'll freeze to death, Alaska perhaps? If its Alaska, then do pack a lined jacket, that's all you'll need. If you're cruising the Caribbean, he won't need anything at night.

No fair. You edited while I was typing.

But I think you got your winds backwards.

What is the wind like in the middle of the sea, say cruising in July in the western med! Is it like a windy day on the beach (and i mean if it has been an average warm day in a port etc).

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but i am trying to gauge the warmth of stuff to pack for my 9 and 12 year old so they can be on deck of an evening and not freeze to death, but dont want to carry heavier or more stuff than needed!

I can't give you an experienced answer as we won't be on the Med until this October. That said, depending on the ships speed and wind direction it can be pretty strong or you will feel nothing at all. We always travel with at least one warm "cover" in the event of a chilly evening. We rarely use them but one never knows. Wind can also be warm so don't be surprised if you find yourselves dressing lighter.

By the way, the ships have AC so you may need a light sweater or wrap of some sort in the MDR.

Have fun.:):)

In the med, at that time of year, early evening would generally be fine, provided the sun is shining and they are not in shaded areas. Generally the first 30-45 minutes following sailaway would be relatively calm, until you turn into open sea areas but even then it can be fine.

Best thing is to have alight fleece, to cover all eventualities.

You will NOT freeze to death in July....it might be windy, especially if the ship is moving fast, but it's still a JULY WIND...it's quite warm!

My thoughts exactly. Its July in the Med. If there is a following wind it will be calm and hot on deck. If there is a head or crosswind it will make it a bit more pleasant unless the combination of ships speed against a strong wind makes being on deck impractical.

We had a 150 mph winds and 70 foot swells, overnight on Navigator, between Toulon, France and Barcelona Spain. This was in October. I am pretty sure the outside decks were closed, but I really don't know. I did not venture out during the night and I didn't even go out on the balcony on our cabin. It was just sort of rocking and rolling and noisy, with things banging and the stabilizers grinding and the ship coming up out of the water and smacking down in the swells. But it was fine, no worries. :)

The captain mentioned the next day, that it had been a little rougher than he expected. :D

Just to clarify the confusion here.

If you are on a boat sailing at 20 kts heading into a 20 kt head wind you will have in theory have 40 kts of winds

If you are on a boat sailing at 20 kts with a 20 kts wind coming from behind then in theory there would be no wind as each would cancel out the other.

Hope this answers part of your question at least :)

July in Med will be hot on deck even if there are some winds they will be also hot...only beach clothes requied...

You don't say where you're sailing from. If it's Southampton, you have to get to the Med first. Pack a light jacket and/or waterproof. On our last cruise we left Southampton on August 1st and it was grey, cold and rainy. It pretty much stayed that way until we got to Gibraltar two days later, so when (if) we went on deck, we had something on to keep warm.

ok the 14-Day criuses from Southampton are kinda med cuises...

Usually the cruises starting in Southampton are Atlantic and Canary Islands

I think the clue is in the name: Mediterranean Treasures

There are lots of Med cruises that depart from Southampton (not all are RCI cruises) and, as I said in my original reply, if the OP's cruise originates from Southampton, chances are she will need to have a light jacket and/or a waterproof if she spends any time on deck before actually getting to the Med.

For my kids, I'd pack 'em a comfy hoodie, just in case.

Do you know if these are in the cabins automatically or can be asked for if required. Or if they need to be purchased.

I have read so much about this cruise as it is our first time, that i am now confusing myself over what i have read and what i have dreamed.

I think i am also right in reading that they do supply towels for swimming but you have to return them each time or pay something like 20usd, but i could have dreamt that also.

Just trying to get an idea for towel and robe packing!

We had a 150 mph winds and 70 foot swells, overnight on Navigator, between Toulon, France and Barcelona Spain. This was in October. I am pretty sure the outside decks were closed, but I really don't know. I did not venture out during the night and I didn't even go out on the balcony on our cabin. It was just sort of rocking and rolling and noisy, with things banging and the stabilizers grinding and the ship coming up out of the water and smacking down in the swells. But it was fine, no worries. :)

The captain mentioned the next day, that it had been a little rougher than he expected. :D

This is the wind which whistles down the Pas de Lyon, and it can be quite gusty off the South coast of France in autumn. I don't think the OP will meet with this in July, but, as with any stretch of open water, the winds can pick up and create a bumpy ride- we've just had one between Spain and Greece, in June.

BTW, there's more than 8 cruise lines sailing from Southampton in summer; there's usually several a week doing 14 nights W.Med, and some doing the 17 nights E. Med.

IOS (RCI) does the Med all year round from there, as do some P&O ships.

Jo.

Archived