"Drink" story that still makes me chuckle

Our first cruise ever was on the Grand Princess its maiden year. As they started blasting the Love Boat theme when we pulled out of Port Everglades, a waitress came by and asked if we'd like to try their special drink of the day. Hearing that drinks were always extra on a cruise and not wanting to break the bank before we even left port I asked her how much it was. She said, "It's three dollars. For three-fifty you get to keep the souvenir glass." I said sure, fix me up a special in the souvenir glass, saying to my husband after she left that it was definitely worth the extra 50 cents for a nice Princess souvenir glass. When she returned with the drink she said, "That'll be six-fifty." Live and learn. LOL.

hmmmm, i have fallen for that too, i guess i am just a suckr for a great drink, its all part of being on a great crwuise with lots of alcohal abnd some great mixed drinks to go along with it......Princess is great for the stronger stronger drinks later at the night......never a complaint with Princess and the drinks :)

Do you still have the glass? There was 15yrs between our first sailing (honeymoon) and our second sailing with Princess. On our second sailing with the kids we were so excited we couldn't say no to anything. I have cordial glasses service for 8, 4 Martini glasses, 2 glasses that light up and 4 of the travel cups you get with the soda card. We also purchased every picture. My onboard account was through the roof. I think I am still paying it off.

Do you still have the glass? There was 15yrs between our first sailing (honeymoon) and our second sailing with Princess. On our second sailing with the kids we were so excited we couldn't say no to anything. I have cordial glasses service for 8, 4 Martini glasses, 2 glasses that light up and 4 of the travel cups you get with the soda card. We also purchased every picture. My onboard account was through the roof. I think I am still paying it off.

I can relate...I too have a collection of "Cruise Stemware" from when we first started cruising! Somehow the drinks still taste better in those glasses!

I can relate...I too have a collection of "Cruise Stemware" from when we first started cruising! Somehow the drinks still taste better in those glasses!

I brought back a martini glass from our last cruise, if it wasn't 9am right now I'd go make myself a martini to test your theory.

Not sure about anyone else, but the 'bait and switch' price of that sailaway drink would have ticked me off. I too would have probably told her to 'keep it'. Not because of the price, but the underhanded way she offered it. :eek:

When I started cruising back in the 80's, repeat customers were welcomed back with a Princess etched champagne flute and a bottle of champagne in their cabin. I still have 4 of those Princess glasses. After a 10+ year cruising break, I was looking forward to another glass and bottle of champagne. It was disappointing to find out that they had discontinued the tradition. But it hasn't stopped me from cruising with Princess.

Not sure about anyone else, but the 'bait and switch' price of that sailaway drink would have ticked me off. I too would have probably told her to 'keep it'. Not because of the price, but the underhanded way she offered it. :eek:

Well, she probably meant to say $3.50 more, or did so and the OP missed it. I know that sometimes, if their accent is thick, I tend to just nod, instead of asking "what??" a bunch of times. :p

And I certainly have my collection of Princess glasses too... and soda card sippy cups and limoncello glasses and light-show glasses...

Too funny :-) And actually pretty cheap considering. On our first cruise, maybe second, DW fell in love with a toasted almond martini drink.

When we got back home and I retired (she was still working) I decided to make that martini for her - to hand her as she walked in after work (what a good hubby I am....).

I think in all I could have booked another cruise for what I paid for all the ingredients, and the many different variations of them people sent me, before we finally gave up - or she decided she liked something else better :-)

Those limoncello shot glasses are always the ones I end up with ... still the best bargain on the ship, especially if you have a waiter who is trying to empty a bottle! Even got my mother to take shots with us!

OP never told us how the drink was. Guess she was so upset about the extra $3.00 she had not planned to spend, she couldn't even taste it! I know I would have had trouble enjoying it.

We have many, many limoncello glasses. The last couple of times we have ordered it they served it with the meal and kept refilling our glasses at no charge!:D

The most annoying drink server we had was at a sail away party. DH wanted one beer. The server spent way too long trying to talk him into a bucket of beer. DH kept saying no, just one. Sure enough when the server came back he had the bucket of beer and the sales slip to sign! Needless to say DH didn't sign and it put a damper on our sail away.:(

OP never told us how the drink was. Guess she was so upset about the extra $3.00 she had not planned to spend, she couldn't even taste it! I know I would have had trouble enjoying it.

Oh, the drink was great! It was some kind of chocolate ice cream concoction. And I wasn't really "upset" about the extra $3.50, just more bemused that I assumed she meant what she said, that for $3.00 you get the drink and for $3.50 you can keep the glass. It was my first experience on board a ship (literally, since we were just leaving port) and I wondered how many other people fell for her line like I did! I still have the glass. Wish now I had gotten another one so I'd have a matched set! LOL.

Oh, the drink was great! It was some kind of chocolate ice cream concoction. And I wasn't really "upset" about the extra $3.50, just more bemused that I assumed she meant what she said, that for $3.00 you get the drink and for $3.50 you can keep the glass. It was my first experience on board a ship (literally, since we were just leaving port) and I wondered how many other people fell for her line like I did! I still have the glass. Wish now I had gotten another one so I'd have a matched set! LOL.

Next Princess cruise ;D

What a great story...I am glad you shared it with us.....

We have too many lemoncello shotglasses to mention.....and there is still the cruise in Oct:eek:

Those limoncello shot glasses are always the ones I end up with ... still the best bargain on the ship, especially if you have a waiter who is trying to empty a bottle! Even got my mother to take shots with us!

I never had limoncello until I was on a Med cruise three years ago. It was so good we were buying bottles of it in ports (on Oceania they didn't care what we took on board to drink). I will have to get some glasses on the cruise this fall.

When do they offer the lemoncello and what does the glass look like? I have never been offered this. It could be a whole new collection for me.

They offer it on "Italian" night in the dining room. In years past it has been offered along with dessert, but the last two cruises they offered it early and kept filling the glasses. :D I like it that way!

The original glasses were different colors and had a ball as a base, like a martini glass, but the last couple of years they have been frosted glasses with nautical symbols on them. I have given sets as gifts, along with a bottle of limoncello. Trader Joes sells it.;)

Archived