What kind of cabin do you prefer?

We've tried & liked them all - inside, ov, balcony & suite. Prefer having a balcony. One of us likes to take naps while on vacation ~ I go out on the balcony and read instead. So relaxing and since I can enjoy the view & fresh air, I don't feel like I'm missing out on precious vacation time.

I am just wondering what kind of cabin you all prefer?

A cabin on a ship....any ship will do :D

Actually we always get balconies now....my DH doesn't care but I love a balcony....being able to go out there as the sun is rising or last thing at night

Cruise before last..(and both were too long ago..LOL) I had a mini suite on Star Princess..those are great value "affordable" suites with someone...alone i am on inside or OV so far..my last cruise was a great 1A deal on Carnival..only bad inside i had was on my first cruise..the bed was such a small bunk in a 50's model ship that i kept falling off..it was narrow like a navy man's bunk..LOL..and i was skinny and i still kept falling off...and i still fell in LOVE with cruising..so i think many options i would take..with cost and money considered each choice depends on avbx deals. i like a quiet cabin and now with smoking rules changing..do think smoke on balconies may be more concentrated on Carnival..so that will be a consideration on balcony too...I think with Carnival i would be very happy with the French door, Porthole or 4J forward cabins as a first choice for budget and a little light..Sarah

Our first cruise was for our honeymoon and we booked a balcony cabin to make it a little more special. We had talked before going on that first cruise that anyother cruise we went on we would get a window. We loved the balcony so much that we couldn't see cruising without the balcony now. A balcony like cruising is addictive.

A suite for sure, love the space, but don't like paying the price.

We have stayed in inside, Ov, balcony and suite, hopefully will never do a inside again, love the balcony.

Will one day try a cove balcony and a aft wrap.

Was offered a upsell for the owners suite one time but turned it down, it was very pricey, maybe one day will win the lotto and will try it :rolleyes:

I am just wondering what kind of cabin you all prefer?

My fiance and I are kind of cheap when it comes to cruising. We always book interior. I always tell our PVP just to find me the cheapest cabin. I also like the idea of the sun not coming in..because if my body sees the sun it decides that it is time to get up..LOL.

I prefer cheap cabins that give you something extra. We had the cheapest category room (1A) on the Triumph, but it was almost as big as an oceanview with 2 oceanview windows. We've got another 1A on the Dream, but it's almost as big as an oceanview with 2 portholes. If we don't want the sunlight in the room, we can leave the drapes completely closed. If we want 2 regular beds in the room, we'd try to get the porthole (category PT) rooms. It's nice to get a bigger room and a view for the price of the cheapest interior (or cheaper). But those rooms usually go fast because of that. We've also done regular interiors and oceanviews, plus one balcony. If those special rooms are all taken, it would come down to price. I'd be willing to go about $30-$60 extra (total per person) for an oceanview (depending on duration). Otherwise, I'd stick with a regular interior.

I have sailed in every category, but must admit that I do only book inside cabins at this point. I always get the best sleep in those cabins because there is no light, but the drawback is not wanting to wake up.

Whenever I get to sail Alaska and Europe I will have to have a balcony!

we usually book Insides as we don't see the point in spending a ton of cash on a balcony or OV cabin that is going to Basically serve the same purpose. We also like the darkness in the cabin as well. Plus we figure we don't spend that much time in the cabin anyway. It would be nice sometimes to walk out on our own balcony and sit a little but we can just head up to an open deck and presto a huge balcony;) Plus we feel that we would feel the need to spend more time in the cabin/balcony to justify the extra $ spent. And hey cruising insides allows us to cruise more often.:D

You wrote exactly what I was going to write. Agree with you 100%. Those are our exact reasons for always booking an inside.

In the past, we have stayed in Interiors and portholes. The interiors were too dark and the portholes were nice but ....

Our next cruise in November 2011 we originally booked an upper/lower with 2 picture windows. When a "premium balcony" opened up for the same price as a regular balcony, we jumped on it. I like getting a "deal" so we get a 60 SF balcony for the same price as others are paying for a 35 SF.

On our cruise in November 2012, a repositioning cruise from NJ to San Juan has 3 days :eek: at sea and 5 days cruising around tiny islands in the Caribbean. I couldn't see us being in an inside for this amazing trip, especially with 3 days at sea, so we looked into a balcony and found an AFT BALCONY for the same price as a regular balcony and we jumped on it!!

I love a balcony, I love that everyone else can sleep in while I sit outside in a robe sipping coffee and reading. It's so hard to keep track to others on a ship so having a balcony is a nice place to sit and wait for others getting ready to start the day or go to dinner. It's like having an extra room!

Well, Let's see......................

Have sailed with all types so far except a grand suite.:)

We are tailenders and prefer the extended balcony cabins and our favourite is a Vista Suite with the wrap around balcony.

Have one booked on the LEGEND for Feb. 5th, 2012. Can't wait. :rolleyes:

Super Bowl..........aft wrap around and our 30th anniversary. The perfect trifecta! :D

Smooth sailing everyone.

Since we travel with a toddler (3 person room) we are generally not in the cheapest accomodations.

We don't spend that much time in our room, so I can't see the added expense.

I Don't think that I am a balcony person - I don't "lay out" & I don't really "sit around" that much either. So I can't see myself using it & if I had a balcony, I'd get stuck next to a loud cigar smoker who was on the balcony all the time - just my luck.

If you are a balcony person - less competition from me when booking your room!

I love a balcony, usually on port side. Can't afford a lot of them unless price is right as I go solo.

I will never book a room on one of the smaller ships with 2 bunks. They come out about 7 inches and you can't get comfortable in the bed if you want to sit up to watch something on TV.

I was doing the 1A but I sleep in a king sized bed at home and the single was really little.

On our first cruise in '05, we booked an OV for DH and myself and an inside across the hall for our 4 boys. The ship was the Elation our of Galveston and it did not have general balcony rooms. Our friends booked the ocean view next to us for themselves and their son. We were so excited!!

About 5 weeks before we sailed, my TA called and said that CCL wanted to upgrade all of us because they wanted our rooms for a large booking. She told us that since it was free, it was a great deal. Not knowing what a GS12 was, we agreed. When we picked up our boarding passes (back then we had the blue boarding packet with tickets inside with the details) we came home and looked our rooms up on line. Our friends and DH and I were in Grand Suites next to each other and our boys were in an OV a few doors down. Sweeeeeet!!!

Needless to say, Dh will only book suites for us after that one trip. Now for our kids.....which now includes two DILs--we have booked OVs and Insides-depending on how many of our kids are going with us.

After reading this board for the past 6 years, I know that some people do not care where they are on the ship as long as they are cruising, and others need windows or balconies. That is the great thing about cruising--people can choose a room to their liking--no one room is right for all.

Happy sailing to everyone!!

I am not a room snob. As long as it is on the ship I will take it.

I am!! If I'm willing to pay for it who cares!! The aft suites are like an efficiency apt! There's a whirlpool tub, a dressing area, separate bedroom with a tv and the "living room area" with a couch and tv!!

I do understand others reasoning, like "they don't spend much time in their rooms"...but we do. We are the "I also want to be comfortable, relax and enjoy my cabin" type of people".

:p

I've only cruised a few times and have sailed in OV and an inside. Didn't mind the inside at all and kids and I were hardly in it. We kept bathroom door open a crack to allow some light and so kids could see if needing to get up to use bathroom in the night..worked for us. This trip, there were no OV or balconies available so I booked insides for the four of us..kids in one and DH and I in the other..much more economical for a family and kids wanted their own cabin as they are almost 18. DH and I would like to take a cruise just two of us and would like a balcony if price is right.

If I was Daddy Warbucks, I would book the garden villas on NCL. Unfortunately, I live in the real world, so being on the ship is being off the ship. I am happy in any cabin. If it is an inside or OV, I am in it a bit less than if I have a balcony.

We have only been on one cruise (so far) and had a balcony, as it was to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.

We would probably only book a balcony, because flying from Calgary, Alberta to Miami, Florida is expensive, and I can't justify spending more for a 7 hour flight than a 7 day cruise!!!

Would like to one day book a B2B so we could save on flights!!!

*SIGH* one day!!

Happy Cruising!!

Archived