Travel Insurance Question

wowsmom

I'm currently researching for a cruise, trying to find the best price and have been calling online discounts TAs (thanks to seeing that in another thread).

One I talked to this morning told me that travel insurance was only necessary for my husband and myself - she said that my kids (17 & 13) would be covered for free. The last 2 cruises we've been on, we were charged for insurance for the kids as well (once through Princess, once through another TA).

So I'm wondering which is true. It makes sense to me that we'd have to buy insurance for all 4 of us (we get 2 cabins). Anybody know the answer? Thanks!

I've seen insurance plans that offer free kids coverage, so its certainly possible, just make sure to read the plan details very carefully...

I'm currently researching for a cruise, trying to find the best price and have been calling online discounts TAs (thanks to seeing that in another thread).

One I talked to this morning told me that travel insurance was only necessary for my husband and myself - she said that my kids (17 & 13) would be covered for free. The last 2 cruises we've been on, we were charged for insurance for the kids as well (once through Princess, once through another TA).

So I'm wondering which is true. It makes sense to me that we'd have to buy insurance for all 4 of us (we get 2 cabins). Anybody know the answer? Thanks!

Loonbeam, that's interesting to know it is a possibility.

I was thinking it sounded too good to be true. It seems if the boys are in their own cabin, they would need the insurance too.

Also wondering if Flash fares can be insured? Had one TA tell me yes this morning and another told me no.

Some cruise lines (RC and X, I believe) do (or did) provide their own insurance for 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin at no additional charge if the first and second passengers buy it. This may be what your TA was referring to, particularly if you aren't locked in on one particular cruise line yet.

Following is from the Q&A regarding Travel Guard's Gold Plan:

"Q. Does everyone going on the Trip need to purchase the insurance to be covered?

A. Yes. The cost is based on a per person Trip cost, therefore each individual is covered separately. However, with the Gold plan, children age 17 and under are covered at no additional cost for each insured adult, but you must list them as a traveler and the child must be related to the primary insured. Only those listed as travelers on the enrollment form will be covered."

So, yes, there are times when children are free with third-party insurance ... just be sure you read the fine print and list them on your policy as travelers.

Thanks, everybody. Having talked to a few more TAs this morning, it does seem that some non-cruiseline insurance plans have 17 and under free, like camp637 posted.

Now if I could just find someone that would lower the cruise fare by a lot!! haha

• 3 weeks later...
Loonbeam, that's interesting to know it is a possibility.

I was thinking it sounded too good to be true. It seems if the boys are in their own cabin, they would need the insurance too.

Also wondering if Flash fares can be insured? Had one TA tell me yes this morning and another told me no.

What has cabins have to do with insurance? You are insuring the person, not the cabin. :rolleyes:

Following is from the Q&A regarding Travel Guard's Gold Plan:

"Q. Does everyone going on the Trip need to purchase the insurance to be covered?

A. Yes. The cost is based on a per person Trip cost, therefore each individual is covered separately. However, with the Gold plan, children age 17 and under are covered at no additional cost for each insured adult, but you must list them as a traveler and the child must be related to the primary insured. Only those listed as travelers on the enrollment form will be covered."

So, yes, there are times when children are free with third-party insurance ... just be sure you read the fine print and list them on your policy as travelers.

Oh, now I see and yes, DON'T FORGET THE FINE PRINT! :rolleyes:

Archived