e-readers (nook, kindle ect)

sillywilly

You will only have a problem if you are trying to download the books while on the cruise. Just load it up with the books you want to read pre-cruise and then you are merely reading what is already on the e-reader. No need for internet access. DW took her kindle and it was great.

My wife brought her new white Kindle on our cruise two weeks ago. She wanted to have it, but she didn't want to ruin it with sand, water, or especially sunscreen. I thought she was crazy, but her plan worked. She kept it in a zip-lock bag the whole time. She read it through the bag! It stayed perfectly clean and new, and she got to read her Kindle out on the deck and in the Serenity area without having to worry.

I love, love, love my Nook!!! As Cruzface said, just load it up with books before you go.

I'm a nurse in a psychiatric facility and noise and discord is common in my area of work, so on a cruise I don't seek out lots of noise and activity, spend LOTS of time on my balcony reading.

I used to have all these books that I toted on the ship, now I just load up the Nook, my husband always brings a power strip, just plug it in to recharge overnight and boom. Takes up the space of one slim hardcover!!!

It's a great investment IMO.

Cheers, Carole

I love my Sony reader but I'm considering taking paperbacks. I can't see myself leaving my beloved reader on a chair while I swim for a bit.

I agree, I wouldn't leave mine out either. You've heard of people cameras disappearing if they leave them sit out too :-(

I love my Sony reader but I'm considering taking paperbacks. I can't see myself leaving my beloved reader on a chair while I swim for a bit.

My Wife would slide her Sony eReader under her towel on her chair when she slipped into the pool. She also made sure she could view the chair from the pool too :)

I took my nook to the Baltic in May and had something to read every evening. However what I used it for most was to check the weather for the next day. There are new apps you can get for it. It was very helpful but you do need wi-fi to check the weather.

I love, love, love my Nook!!! As Cruzface said, just load it up with books before you go.

I'm a nurse in a psychiatric facility and noise and discord is common in my area of work, so on a cruise I don't seek out lots of noise and activity, spend LOTS of time on my balcony reading.

I used to have all these books that I toted on the ship, now I just load up the Nook, my husband always brings a power strip, just plug it in to recharge overnight and boom. Takes up the space of one slim hardcover!!!

It's a great investment IMO.

Cheers, Carole

I just got the new Nook Simple Touch so battery is supposed to last two months. I can't wait to take it on my next cruise.

I just took my first cruise with my Kindle. Loved it! So much better than either not having any books to read at all or dragging on board a bunch of heavier paperback books.

I didn't even have to bring the charger because the battery life lasts a good month so being gone only a week I wasn't worried.

I highly recommend an e-reader! Any e-reader!:D Just download a bunch of books and go.

I love my Kindle and have had no problems taking it on cruises. I love being able to load it up with books so that I don't have to figure out what to take with me. I can select what to read based upon my mood.

I also take my Ipod loaded with music and audiobooks. A lot of libraries will let you download ebooks and audiobooks. What I like about the audiobooks is that once I transfer an audiobook onto my Ipod it stays there until I delete it. If you plan ahead you can take a good selection of audiobooks if you like to listen to them.

You will see people all over the place on your cruise reading books on some form of e-reader or listening to Ipods (or some other type of mp3 player). They are really common now, especially due to the high airline fees which cause people to cut back on what they pack.

Has anyone used an e-reader on board a ship?

had any problems?

or no problems?

I'm concidering bring one july 25 on the miracle

thanks

Bill

Sillywilly:

You will love the Miracle, it is my favorite ship. A great place to read indoors if you don't have a balcony cabin is the Gatsby indoor promenade that goes around the theater. It is generally a quiet place and you can sit by one of the small tables by a window or on one of the couches facing the windows. It is one of my favorite spots on the ship and a great place to spend time while you are waiting for a comedy show or main show to begin.

I just got the new Nook Simple Touch so battery is supposed to last two months. I can't wait to take it on my next cruise.

ohhhhhhhhhh cool tazco, mines older (about a year) so I have to charge it every week or so, depending on how much I leave it on. I always have it in airplane mode unless I'm dling so it's not too bad on battery life>

Enjoy!!!

My wife brought her new white Kindle on our cruise two weeks ago. She wanted to have it, but she didn't want to ruin it with sand, water, or especially sunscreen. I thought she was crazy, but her plan worked. She kept it in a zip-lock bag the whole time. She read it through the bag! It stayed perfectly clean and new, and she got to read her Kindle out on the deck and in the Serenity area without having to worry.

I do the same thing when we go out on our boat and it works great. I plan to do the same thing when we cruise.

Bringing my Nook color is a must for me. I would go bananas without it. (just joking) I sail on the Valor in 2 1/2 weeks and about 3 weeks ago I downloaded about 7 books so I could read 3 or 4 beforehand and have my choice of the rest for vacation. Nothing like reading a good book on your balcony, the lido, or lounging at a beautiful beach. Also helps pass the flight time quickly.

I have wifi so I'll be able to check email.

I love my Kindle and have had no problems taking it on cruises. I love being able to load it up with books so that I don't have to figure out what to take with me. I can select what to read based upon my mood.

I also take my Ipod loaded with music and audiobooks. A lot of libraries will let you download ebooks and audiobooks. What I like about the audiobooks is that once I transfer an audiobook onto my Ipod it stays there until I delete it. If you plan ahead you can take a good selection of audiobooks if you like to listen to them.

You will see people all over the place on your cruise reading books on some form of e-reader or listening to Ipods (or some other type of mp3 player). They are really common now, especially due to the high airline fees which cause people to cut back on what they pack.

My Nook color is great because I can read AND listen to all my music right on my Nook!!:D Depending on what size memory you put in as much music and as many books as you want.:)

Archived