e-readers (nook, kindle ect)

sillywilly

I absolutely LOVE my Nook.....I got it before we went on the Dream in May and loaded it up before we left. Great for the airplane, airport and most of all the ship. Love that it's backlit so I can read in the dark without disturbing my husband. So much better that traveling with heavy books !!!!!

I have had a Kindle since Xmas and have taken it on vacation to the beach, great reading.. I have over 40 books on my kindle and have only paid for one..I have a website that offers free e-books, now some might not be to your liking and if they aren't don't download them, I get a list everyday and there are lots of days that I just delete the e-mail but I have found some good ones to read, and the ones I have downloaded were free but they have bargain books also, some for $.99 up to $2.99..I also think Amazon has some free ones to download so if your not set on one author and willing to check out others check out Pixel of Ink and the Amazon site..;)

I enjoy reading but don't have much time for it since I work and am going to school at night. Would it be worth the money for someone that only reads on vacations and over the summer?

I got a Kindle With Special Offers ($114) - there are 'special offers' (AKA advertisements!) on the screen saver and a small bar at the bottom of the home screen (nothing inside the 'books'). This thing is going to pay for itself before long! So far I've gotten:

a $20 Amazon gift card for $10

a $1 cd download

a $10 gift card for purchasing $10 worth of books - that I was buying anyway

$20 off a GPS (this offer came out the day after we started looking for a new one!)

How much to upload books? Do they come with some on them?

The books vary anywhere between a couple bucks (for older or not so popular books) to 15.00 (brand new best seller by popular author)

I get mine not so much to save money, because one of the book clubs can be just as reasonable, but for convenience of not having a bunch of books everywhere and being able to pull it out and read it whenever.

Cheers

I received a Sony Reader for Christmas. I was not thrilled, since I am a huge reader and love my books. But I did enjoy how easy it was to get books and use. I only have the charger that hooks to the computer though and was not going to take it on the cruise because I didn't want it to loose the charge so I was stuck in the middle of a book. It also has a hard time charging that way and I read a book the whole way through many times so it doesn't get hooked up to the charger as often. I don't think it is ever above "medium" charge, but that lasts one novel. I think I may upgrade to a nook color. Any suggestions? I don't notice that e-books are any cheaper than bookstore prices? I love that I can download them at midnight and start reading if the mood strikes!

Has anyone taken an ipad on a cruise?? Will it work?? Only have wifi on it.. Thanks..:)

People have taken them, it will work. Any app that needs the internet will not, but if you have the Nook or Kindle app loaded and have already downloaded your books, it should work just fine. I know Apple has its on book app...but it should be the same.

Normally, they come with a few of the classics free and some book samples. Many public libraries offer the ebooks for free. I buy a few and borrow a few.

I received a Sony Reader for Christmas. I was not thrilled, since I am a huge reader and love my books. But I did enjoy how easy it was to get books and use. I only have the charger that hooks to the computer though and was not going to take it on the cruise because I didn't want it to loose the charge so I was stuck in the middle of a book. It also has a hard time charging that way and I read a book the whole way through many times so it doesn't get hooked up to the charger as often. I don't think it is ever above "medium" charge, but that lasts one novel. I think I may upgrade to a nook color. Any suggestions? I don't notice that e-books are any cheaper than bookstore prices? I love that I can download them at midnight and start reading if the mood strikes!

I love my Sony. You can use any micro usb cell phone charger. I had several lying around already. My charges last for several weeks and I'm a heavy reader.

Sent from my HTC Incredible

Nook, which is a Barnes and Noble product, offers a free book every Friday. Some I wouldn't bother with but I've gotten many good books from the free offer.

As far as I know, Nook is the only e-book that many public libraries lend to.

One warning, don't leave the e-reader in direct sun. I nearly melted my nice leather cover when it was left in my hot car. Can't say that for a traditional book but be careful about heat and your e-readers.:eek:

You can pick up a dedicated wall charger on ebay very inexpensively. One thing about the Sonys are that they are compatible with some formats that Kindle and Nook are not. Check out Smashwords dot com. They have a HUGE selection of books available for download in all of the popular formats. You will have to download them to your computer and then load them through the Sony Reader Store software but it is definitely worth the trouble. Hundreds of free books there as well. Most of the authors are little known and it's kind of like those starving artist sales, but I have yet to run across a book that I thought was awful. If you have an Android or Iphone Sony has an app for those that will automatically download all your purchases from their store to your phone. If you don't mind reading on a small screen, it is very versatile and it is also color and back lit so you can read in the dark. Try it before you run out and spend more money. The app is free.

Nook, which is a Barnes and Noble product, offers a free book every Friday. Some I wouldn't bother with but I've gotten many good books from the free offer.

One warning, don't leave the e-reader in direct sun. I nearly melted my nice leather cover when it was left in my hot car. Can't say that for a traditional book but be careful about heat and your e-readers.:eek:

Sonys can also borrow books from selected public libraries.

True, for now. Amazon has announced that Kindles will be able to borrow library books starting in the fall. You can do it now, but it involves downloading to your computer, changing the format, and moving to the Kindle. I'd rather just download!

But, I've gotten dozens of free books on my Kindle, and I get to keep those.

I bought a Kindle just for reading outside and LOVE IT. I bought this waterproof cover from Amazon - I love to stand at the edge of the pool and read, no problem now!

41EFGF1OzSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OOOoooooo do you suppose this would fit an i-pad? I'm planning to borrow my brother's for wifi and e-reading to take on my cruise.

I have an iPad, do I even need to buy a kindle or would this work?

It's not a question of whether an iPad will work, it's what benefits the Kindle offers that make it worthwhile. Kindle uses e-ink technology, which makes the image look closest to the real page of a real book. Also, the screen is glare proof and you can read it in direct sunlight very easily. On our last cruise we saw a lot of people with Nooks and iPads struggling to shade their screens in the sun.

Then, in the end, it's just a matter of preference. I love my Kindle, have hundreds of free books loaded on it, and wouldn't trade it for the world. But, to each his own. Just enjoy reading!

It's not a question of whether an iPad will work, it's what benefits the Kindle offers that make it worthwhile. Kindle uses e-ink technology, which makes the image look closest to the real page of a real book. Also, the screen is glare proof and you can read it in direct sunlight very easily. On our last cruise we saw a lot of people with Nooks and iPads struggling to shade their screens in the sun.

Then, in the end, it's just a matter of preference. I love my Kindle, have hundreds of free books loaded on it, and wouldn't trade it for the world. But, to each his own. Just enjoy reading!

Dh just told me he would buy me one for our cruise. I was just looking at the best buy website and narrowed it down to a kindle or a nook. Are you saying that a nook is hard to read outside? Also, how do you get free books loaded on your kindle?

I just got the new Nook Simple Touch so battery is supposed to last two months. I can't wait to take it on my next cruise.

I just bought the new Nook today! I can't wait to get it set up for our trip!

I got a Sony a couple of months ago and absolutely LOVE it!!!!

Can't wait until we cruise again so that I can read it on the cruise!!

I can borrow books from my library. And there are some free books on almost any site that sells e-books (some of them are just short stories, but free all the same)

Happy Cruising!! Happy Reading!!!

I totally can't say enough about my Kindle. I love it. I must say I was pretty busy on the ship to read much but used it mostly a night in the cabin. Also pretrip in hotels or car.

I worried to much about taking to sernity deck or by the pool. I thought I might forget so I left in the cabin.

You can pick up a dedicated wall charger on ebay very inexpensively. One thing about the Sonys are that they are compatible with some formats that Kindle and Nook are not. Check out Smashwords dot com. They have a HUGE selection of books available for download in all of the popular formats. You will have to download them to your computer and then load them through the Sony Reader Store software but it is definitely worth the trouble. Hundreds of free books there as well. Most of the authors are little known and it's kind of like those starving artist sales, but I have yet to run across a book that I thought was awful. If you have an Android or Iphone Sony has an app for those that will automatically download all your purchases from their store to your phone. If you don't mind reading on a small screen, it is very versatile and it is also color and back lit so you can read in the dark. Try it before you run out and spend more money. The app is free.

Thanks! I'll try the site. And get a wall adapter!!

When I first got my Kindle, I searched "free books" in the Amazon store ... and there are tons available to download for free. From all kinds of different genres.

I still download a lot of free ones. :)

Archived