e-readers (nook, kindle ect)

sillywilly

Dh just told me he would buy me one for our cruise. I was just looking at the best buy website and narrowed it down to a kindle or a nook. Are you saying that a nook is hard to read outside? Also, how do you get free books loaded on your kindle?

From what I could observe, it appears that the Nook has a shiny surface, which is really reflective of the sunlight. I haven't held one in my hand, but I noticed that the Nook readers had difficulty reading in direct sunlight.

I go to Amazon.com and there are tons of free books listed there. The process of loading books is really easy! If I can do it, anyone can. :D

I love my reader. You will get great battery life too since you will have wifi and 3G (if equipped) turned off! Load it up ahead of time, and don't forget to look at http://www.gutenberg.org for free eBooks in Kindle/Nook formats. They are the old classics, and you have to 'side load' them via the USB, but FREE!

As for Nook vs. Kindle, I feel like the Kindle has better book prices, but the Nook has some better features. The new Nook screen doesn't have to do the full page flicker every time, and is more compact without a keyboard. It also lets you read in-store an hour per day if you live near one.

I bought a Kindle about a year ago and it stayed in my draw for about a month. I just could not switch over from a "book". I finally did and I LOVE it.I took it on my last cruise and it was great. The Kindle is great for outside, no sun glare. I think I will look into the waterproof holder, I like you can put it around your neck to carry it. The only thing I miss about a "book" on the cruise is I could leave it on my chair at the pool to go to the restroom or lunch, etc. I did not worry about anyone taking it. My Kindle goes with me : )

Dh just told me he would buy me one for our cruise. I was just looking at the best buy website and narrowed it down to a kindle or a nook. Are you saying that a nook is hard to read outside? Also, how do you get free books loaded on your kindle?

It took me 3 days to decide between the Kindle or the Nook color. My DH wanted to buy it for me for Christmas. I printed a chart of differences and similarities that Best Buy has. I compared battery life, weight, screen size, and features. There were some things I liked on the Kindle such as the no glare in bright sunlight, but eventually I decided the Nook was for me. I LOVE the "lend me" feature that allows you to borrow a book from another user, the books from the library, among others. I also had $90 in Barnes & Noble gift cards, so that helped a lot.

I use my Ipod touch as an e-reader. I have four different book apps, but use the Kindle app most often. Amazon has a lot of free books in almost every genre. If an author has a series of books, they may offer the first one free in hopes that you will buy the remaining ones (guilty!).

I'm addicted to my Ipod and there is no way that I would cruise without it. It's much smaller than a Kindle or Nook, but it works great for me.

I got a Kindle With Special Offers ($114) - there are 'special offers' (AKA advertisements!) on the screen saver and a small bar at the bottom of the home screen (nothing inside the 'books'). This thing is going to pay for itself before long! So far I've gotten:

a $20 Amazon gift card for $10

a $1 cd download

a $10 gift card for purchasing $10 worth of books - that I was buying anyway

$20 off a GPS (this offer came out the day after we started looking for a new one!)

thanks for the info, i wuz thinkin' that for the $20 difference i would forgo the "special offers, but sounds like a win-win!

I bought a Kindle just for reading outside and LOVE IT. I bought this waterproof cover from Amazon - I love to stand at the edge of the pool and read, no problem now!

41EFGF1OzSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I looked on Amazon and could not find this :confused:

Can you tell me the cost and what do I put in for a description so it will come up on Amazon.

Thanks.

I have had my kindle for several years now--I have one of the old ones--It does not use wireless from a normal wireless source to download books (uses a satelite I was told). I download books in the car all the time. I have taken my kindle every where I go. There are several sites to get free books and amazon has free books as well. I have puchased a kindle for each of my girls and they love it as well. A friend has a nook and it has great features too. The only drawback on a nook is that it is difficult to read in the sun.

From what I could observe, it appears that the Nook has a shiny surface, which is really reflective of the sunlight. I haven't held one in my hand, but I noticed that the Nook readers had difficulty reading in direct sunlight.

I go to Amazon.com and there are tons of free books listed there. The process of loading books is really easy! If I can do it, anyone can. :D

That's only the color version of nook. The others have e-ink like the kindle. I love my nook. Hated all the buttons on the kindle...

That's only the color version of nook. The others have e-ink like the kindle. I love my nook. Hated all the buttons on the kindle...

I was waiting for someone to clear that up! I have a NookColor and it's not as great as the e-ink versions of Nook or Kindle for reading in direct sunlight, but the anti glare screen does help some and you can turn up the brightness. I plan to use my NC on the balcony were there's some shade, so I don't foresee a problem. I read a lot on trips in the car, not driving of course, and I don't have any problem reading in the sunlight.

The best source for free books is at the Mobileread forums. They have all the classic public domain books that are usually formatted much better than the commercial offerings. They are better proofread and a lot of times they have illustrations. They offer them in multiple formats, all for free.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132

I looked on Amazon and could not find this :confused:

Can you tell me the cost and what do I put in for a description so it will come up on Amazon.

Thanks.

Here it is on Amazon: it was $15.99

http://www.amazon.com/Version-TrendyDigital-WaterGuard-Waterproof-Generation/dp/B0026GJHVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309391135&sr=8-1

I have an iPad, do I even need to buy a kindle or would this work?

I have both a Kindle and an iPad. I got the iPad first and LOVE it, for everything except reading in sunlight. The iPad is backlit, and that makes it very hard to get past the glare. I got the Kindle with Special offers ($114) to get around that problem! I don't want to take a $750 toy to the pool every day, but I'll take the $114 one. One great thing about the iPad is you can have more than 1 reading app - I have the iBooks that came with, as well as the Kindle app, a Nook app, and a Kobo app. Free books galore!!! I got the 3G iPad, and also have an iPhone, so I can be online anywhere - did not feel the need to have a 3G Kindle.

I didn't have a glare problem with my IPad, the settings can be adjusted, but it can overheat if used or left in direct sunlight......I got a "temperature timeout" using mine up at my condo pool, so I left it in the shade for a while to cool down, there were no aftereffects. I have a black cover for it, which is probably contributing to heat absorbsion.

We bought a kindle tonight. Now I just need to decide how I want to protect it from water...there are links for two different ones in this thread and others say they use ziplock bags. Are either of them secure enough to protect it in the water? I know the aquapac claims it is but has anyone tried it?

The Nook is not hard to read in the sun. I bought a screen protector that is anti glare and keeps your screen from getting scratched, AND its backlit so you can read perfect in the dark. The kindle you need to buy a light. Another plus is you can load tons of music and pictures on the nook and you can upgrade the memory to as big of a memory card as you can find.:D Micro SD.:) It has speakers and a headphone jack. Oh you can get facebook and play angry birds.

We bought a kindle tonight. Now I just need to decide how I want to protect it from water...there are links for two different ones in this thread and others say they use ziplock bags. Are either of them secure enough to protect it in the water? I know the aquapac claims it is but has anyone tried it?

I've never ( knock on wood) dropped mine into the water but the ziplock is good at protecting my kindle from sprays that come onto the boat.

The Nook is not hard to read in the sun. I bought a screen protector that is anti glare and keeps your screen from getting scratched, AND its backlit so you can read perfect in the dark. The kindle you need to buy a light. Another plus is you can load tons of music and pictures on the nook and you can upgrade the memory to as big of a memory card as you can find.:D Micro SD.:) It has speakers and a headphone jack. Oh you can get facebook and play angry birds.

Listen to Pandora, play chess, sudoku, crosswords puzzles, or just read! ;)

Still trying to decide which ereader I want to purchase.:D

May I ask where you purchased the screen protector?? So you have the new Nook color?

Thanks

That does it. I'm kicking my Sony to the curb and getting a Nook so I can play Angry Birds!! :D

One of the main reasons I went for the kindle is that it ISN'T backlit, so much easier on the eyes :D

My cover has a light built in so on the very rare occasions I want to read in the dark I still can, I think I have used it twice in a year lol (the light, not the kindle, the kindle I use all the time! :D

Archived