Question about medications

cobocai

I always bring my meds in my days-of-the-week holder, and no one has ever said anything about it. Before I started having enough pills to need that kind of holder, I used to just put 'em in a zipper bag in my carry on. Nobody ever said anything about that either.

This might be more of an issue of if there is an emergency and you have to fly home, then there might be more scrutiny of things. Just to be safe I brought all my pill bottles in addition to my divided case. Better safe than sorry.

Do you have to bring the original prescription bottles or can you use the pill sorter boxes that keep the daily doses organized?

:cool::D

I've never been questioned about using the pill sorter boxes. That being said, when the wife was on chemo, she had Percocet, and we kept that in the original bottle just in case we got stopped at customs. Never was stopped or questioned.

I have always just carried mine in the daily pill boxes and carried my documentation until I read on here that you had to carry your pill bottles because if you go caught without them you could be in a lot of trouble. So our last cruise I carried all of my pill bottles and they took up a lot of room because I get mine in a 3 mo. supply. I don't think I am going to do that next cruise though. I think I will go back to the pill boxes and just carry the documentation. I do have the pills labeled so they would know what they are. Those bottles are just too bulky. I don't see the purpose as long as you have the documentation that shows you have them legally. Just my opinion.

Traveled all over the world, many developing countries, even the countries which make up the Golden Triangle, never carried anything but the pills themselves. During one period (when I was subject to kidney stone attacks) I carried demerol pills large enough to dope an elephant without any documentation. Although I probably crossed 30 or 40 borders without incident, it was, in retrospect, a very stupid thing to do. I believe you should always carry prescriptions for narcotics.

I just returned from a cruise to Cyprus, Israel, Greece, Turkey and Italy (Syria and Egypt were dropped from the itinerary) and had my many pills in a pill dispenser plus a large bag of mixed pills to refill the dispenser. Of course, I had no narcotics.

Bill

I always bring both, but with meds in the daily pill box be sure and seal in ziploc baggie. One year on a cruise in my carry on bag at med time i went to grab it every lid had popped open and yeah all 12 pills in each day of the week was at the bottom of my carry on bag. ☺

Why would the cruiseline question your medications or yet, how would they even know about them?

I don't think it is the cruiseline that might question them. It is my understanding that customs has the right and might question the legality of them.

Traveled all over the world, many developing countries, even the countries which make up the Golden Triangle, never carried anything but the pills themselves. During one period (when I was subject to kidney stone attacks) I carried demerol pills large enough to dope an elephant without any documentation. Although I probably crossed 30 or 40 borders without incident, it was, in retrospect, a very stupid thing to do. I believe you should always carry prescriptions for narcotics.

I just returned from a cruise to Cyprus, Israel, Greece, Turkey and Italy (Syria and Egypt were dropped from the itinerary) and had my many pills in a pill dispenser plus a large bag of mixed pills to refill the dispenser. Of course, I had no narcotics.

Bill

I am having surgery the week after my next cruise to replace my ankle. I called my doctor to refill my narcotic pain prescription. His nurse told me they have had trouble with patients trying to bring narcotics back into the US even if they have a prescription for them! She strongly encouraged me to just take Tylenol and deal with the pain as best I can. Oh, joy!

I don't think it is the cruiseline that might question them. It is my understanding that customs has the right and might question the legality of them.

My same response again.

How would customs even know you have medications?

My same response again.

How would customs even know you have medications?

They randomly check people's bags and if they check yours and you don't have prescriptions for your medications, you might have a problem.

I am having surgery the week after my next cruise to replace my ankle. I called my doctor to refill my narcotic pain prescription. His nurse told me they have had trouble with patients trying to bring narcotics back into the US even if they have a prescription for them! She strongly encouraged me to just take Tylenol and deal with the pain as best I can. Oh, joy!

Both my DH and I always take all of our medication in the original containers on vacation. I have been all over the world, and customs has never taken or questioned me about my medication. I also carry my CPAP machine with the written prescription in the bag, that thing has caused me more issues with security/customs than any medication.

They randomly check people's bags and if they check yours and you don't have prescriptions for your medications, you might have a problem.

They(US customs) don't randomly check peoples bags. Only if they have suspicion for something.

You are not going to have "a problem" if you are not doing anything illegal. Most drugs are not illegal.

They are not going to harass you because of your blood pressure meds.

If you take narcotics than bring your prescription.

I found a nice little pouch that fold up like a little clutch purse and holds 20 little numbered ziplock bags (10 for morning and 10 for evening). I keep my pills in there along with a print out from the pharmacy of the medications in a little side pocket. It takes up much less room than my pill bottles and is handier than the pill boxes since I can just take my little zip lock bag for that morning/evening with me to breakfast or dinner to take my pills. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Since any possible problems would be when getting OFF the ship when you get back to the US, take your pain pills along, and plan to take the last pill before you get off the ship! There, problem solved. :)

Here is a copy of a post that I found after searching through many. I found many similar to it but it was one of the saddest. I sure it is a rare incident but apparently it does happen.

"I tell this story every now and then on CC. My nearly 90 year old mother-in-law during one of the last trips of her long life lost absolutely all of her medications that were in 7 day daily containers when we all came back to the US and had to go through US Customs.

The US Customs agents dumped all of her pills out on a filthy table and went through them.

All of them including her heart medications.

She ranted and raved and insisted that she had always used the 7 day containers for dozens and dozens of trips with no problems, but it mattered not at all.

We were no where near getting her to her home town where she could get refills of her Rx's and had airplanes to catch. It mattered not!

The US Customs agent seized everything she had on her and with her and trashed them all!

It was nearly 30 hours before we could get her medications replaced. At her expense for most of them because her insurance wouldn't pay for too soon refills.

Her son had a serious talk with her (one of many) about using original Rx containers, but she knew better. Her behavior was embarrassing and could have killed her on the journey home. Do I need to say she was wrong?

Please do not take advice from people who tell you that they break the law and have done so for years with no problems. They are giving you really bad advice."

There are many opinions on this topic but people have to make up their own minds as to what the risks are for them. I know it takes up a lot of room for me to take all of my pill bottles because I take about 14 meds and mine come in 3 mo. supplies so the bottles are very large. I really don't like carrying them with us. I will decide later what I will do but whatever you decide to do I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

You do what you think is best. However when we were getting off the legend in november we were pulled aside and all our bags were opened and searched. They checked all the pill bottles to make sure they were valid and the names matched.

Kinda off topic but we also had ordered rum from bon voyage and had some left so we were bringing it home. They asked to see the receipt. I said I didn't have it because it was paid for before we boarded. And they told us to always have the receipt because they can take it from you if you don't have it. Who knew.

When we travel (across borders especially) I always ask my doctor to give me a prescription for only as many pills as I will need for the days I will be traveling as well as a few extra days to allow for emergencies. I have to pay for these out of pocket but it beats carrying those 90 day supply bottles that our insurance insists on. He is always happy to accommodate my requests.

Archived