MDR Eating

hershey4

As a first time cruiser, I'm a little unclear as to how the whole dining thing works. We are booked for the late dining, and will be sharing a table with other people. There are 4 in my family, so does that mean 4 other people will be at our table? Or are they larger tables? If we decide to not eat in the MDR one or more nights, does that mean our fellow diners will be at a table with 4 empty seats? Or if we are seated with another family of 4, and they choose not to eat in the MDR, would our family be alone?

As a first time cruiser, I'm a little unclear as to how the whole dining thing works. We are booked for the late dining, and will be sharing a table with other people. There are 4 in my family, so does that mean 4 other people will be at our table? Yes, Depending on the size of your table. It could be a 4 top (just you guys), an 8 top or ten top. Or are they larger tables? If we decide to not eat in the MDR one or more nights, does that mean our fellow diners will be at a table with 4 empty seats? Yes. Or if we are seated with another family of 4, and they choose not to eat in the MDR, would our family be alone? Yes. [/quote]

Happy Sailing!!!!

You could also be at a tentop with 3 couples .. no one can guess what size table you will be at... some cruiselines allow you to pick a table size, some done. RCL you chose your prefered tablesize, Carnival you have no choice.

Yes, if you do not show up .. your chairs sit empty.

On the first day of your cruise anywhere from 1-4pm depending on your departure time there will be a podium outside the main ding rm (MDR) where people will start lining up to make changes to their dining situation. They WILL take you in order so grab a spot in line. You can find out what time they will begin from an attendant on the ship or the MDR and you can be sure there WILL be people lined up even an hour before..They usually take your key to make the list & call out who is next so they only need 1 person present from your party.

There will be either an electronic board or a paper layout of the table configurations or floor plan. When you get called you can ask them how many people are at your table & where it's located. If you would like to change it & a smaller table for 4 is available they will make the change at that very moment. It all depends on how full the ship is. If not, they will take your request & see how the requests of the others on the line end up. If this is the case you will go to your regularly scheduled dining arrangement on the first day & by the 2nd day you will receive a letter in your cabin mailbox (outside your door) telling you to report to another table. If the sailing is full you may not get exactly what you want, but maybe instead of a 10 top you will be in a 6 top.

And YES if you choose to let's say enjoy a leisurely dinner in the Lido buffet your tablemates will be dining alone, but don't let that bother you... They will do it to you without hesitationvwhichbto me is a blessing. More room! Some people love tradition while some don't... I have been placed with lovely tablemates that are great company and well... had the same eating prefferences as I do. It was a blast! Other times my family of six was seated with two of the most anal retentive, conservative couples ever. It was painful & awkward to sit through those meals. Dining is a BIG part of cruising and something like that can be a big turnoff. One day three of our 9 night cruise we were switched from a 10 top at 8:30 to a 6 top at 6:30. What a difference!

Cruiselines have now been offering my time, your time or anytime dining options which allow you to book whatever table size you like at your leisure. While the dining rm is open roughly 5:30-9 it's best to still make a reservation. For instance I booked 6:45 time slots across the board on our last cruise for a 2 top. On the days we were in port till 7 I booked for 7:45. Since many lines have tips prepaid when you choose this option they will often seat you in the same section so you get the same wait staff that makes your sailing & dining experience much more pleasant! And if let's say you make friends & want to invite them to your dinner table or your kids want lido buffet & to skip out of the MDR you can adjust the table accordingly. This is my favorite option!!! We always go for my time!

Hope this info eas helpful. Any more questions, ask away!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

On the first day of your cruise anywhere from 1-4pm depending on your departure time there will be a podium outside the main ding rm (MDR) where people will start lining up to make changes to their dining situation. They WILL take you in order so grab a spot in line. You can find out what time they will begin from an attendant on the ship or the MDR and you can be sure there WILL be people lined up even an hour before..They usually take your key to make the list & call out who is next so they only need 1 person present from your party.

There will be either an electronic board or a paper layout of the table configurations or floor plan. When you get called you can ask them how many people are at your table & where it's located. If you would like to change it & a smaller table for 4 is available they will make the change at that very moment. It all depends on how full the ship is. If not, they will take your request & see how the requests of the others on the line end up. If this is the case you will go to your regularly scheduled dining arrangement on the first day & by the 2nd day you will receive a letter in your cabin mailbox (outside your door) telling you to report to another table. If the sailing is full you may not get exactly what you want, but maybe instead of a 10 top you will be in a 6 top.

And YES if you choose to let's say enjoy a leisurely dinner in the Lido buffet your tablemates will be dining alone, but don't let that bother you... They will do it to you without hesitationvwhichbto me is a blessing. More room! Some people love tradition while some don't... I have been placed with lovely tablemates that are great company and well... had the same eating prefferences as I do. It was a blast! Other times my family of six was seated with two of the most anal retentive, conservative couples ever. It was painful & awkward to sit through those meals. Dining is a BIG part of cruising and something like that can be a big turnoff. One day three of our 9 night cruise we were switched from a 10 top at 8:30 to a 6 top at 6:30. What a difference!

Cruiselines have now been offering my time, your time or anytime dining options which allow you to book whatever table size you like at your leisure. While the dining rm is open roughly 5:30-9 it's best to still make a reservation. For instance I booked 6:45 time slots across the board on our last cruise for a 2 top. On the days we were in port till 7 I booked for 7:45. Since many lines have tips prepaid when you choose this option they will often seat you in the same section so you get the same wait staff that makes your sailing & dining experience much more pleasant! And if let's say you make friends & want to invite them to your dinner table or your kids want lido buffet & to skip out of the MDR you can adjust the table accordingly. This is my favorite option!!! We always go for my time!

Hope this info eas helpful. Any more questions, ask away!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

Great information...does this apply to carnival as well?

Great information...does this apply to carnival as well?

Yes.

Your table assignment will be on your Sail & Sign card. It will state your Dining Room (or level), table number and time of dining. If you are happy with your assignment no need to do anything.

If you have any concerns you can see the Maitre 'd the first day usually around 1pm. The exact time will be in the Fun Times.

Just be aware if you do ask for your dining time to be changed it might not happen. It all depends on how many want to change and where you are on the list. If it does change it will start on the second night of your cruise.

"We are booked for the late dining, and will be sharing a table with other people. There are 4 in my family, so does that mean 4 other people will be at our table? Or are they larger tables?" - it can be a table for 4, or 6, or 8, or 10.

"If we decide to not eat in the MDR one or more nights, does that mean our fellow diners will be at a table with 4 empty seats?" - yes

"Or if we are seated with another family of 4, and they choose not to eat in the MDR, would our family be alone?" - yes

Last time I was on Carnival the Maitre D not only changed our table from a 10 top to a deuce but he even asked where our cabin was & moved us to the closer dining rm. so we wouldnt have to walk so far to the furthest end of the ship!

My ultimate advice is GO EARLY and get on that line QUICK, don't get discouraged & leave your place in line. The sooner you get in the sooner you will get out!

ENJOY!

You know, this was something i really worried about. I didn't know how that was going to work, eating with a bunch of strangers. But I went into it with an open mind and I'm so glad i did. Our family of 2 adults and 2 grown children were seated with 4 elderly ladies and a mother/child duo. The mother & child only ate with us once and disappeared for the rest of the trip. The ladies were an absolute HOOT! They kept us in stitches every night and they were so sweet. I'm so glad I didn't change our assignment.:p It was actually a lot of fun getting to know them.

Just know that if you choose to go My Time with Royal, it's better to make reservations so you know that you will haves table waiting for you... If you go let's say with Carnivals My Time program, they do not offer reservations so if you go "whenever" you will be seated "whenever."

Any time you use open seating & go eat between the more busy hrs let's say 7pm you are more apt to wait for a table, unless you have a reservation.

Archived