cumberbund in or out

are cumberbunds still in fashion for formal dress evenings.thanks.

I would suggest that fewer and fewer men are wearing a cummerbund.

Maybe more so those even older than me, but the more modern younger man tends not to wear them. Probably a bit like patent leather shoes.

Just watch the style of shirt that your wife buys for you. If not wearing a cummerbund, you will need either a plain fronted shirt or one with pleats all the way down as opposed to a dress shirt with a panel, otherwise you notice the gap.

Either way, don't worry about it, just have fun.

Stewart

are cumberbunds still in fashion for formal dress evenings.thanks.

Both my partner and I wear Cummerbunds on a formal night :) Not only does it stop the bottom of the shirt front showing but it also helps to hide the fact that you couldn't quite get the trousers fastened! :D

My shirts are pleated all the way down but the studs only go so far (buttons below) which suggests they would look a little funny without a cummerbund.

Personally, I loathe cummerbunds but not wearing one isn't an option for all the reasons given above, and I have been completely unable to find a decent looking waistcoat. I don't think fashion really comes into it - we're talking Cunard after all :)

J

I used to wear them but switched to the more modern look of smaller lapels, white shirt (French cuff) and formal long ties. Getting ready for dinner is now quicker, and the comfort level during dinner is better.

I used to wear them but switched to the more modern look of smaller lapels, white shirt (French cuff) and formal long ties. Getting ready for dinner is now quicker, and the comfort level during dinner is better.

TBH, it's not the discomfort that's a factor with me. It's just that, when you've been sitting down for an hour, you stand up and the damn thing has twisted itself into something resembling a lump of bailing twine knotted round your waist. I'm still perfectly happy with my old fashioned DJ, but I would much prefer a waistcoat rather than the cummerbund.

J

TBH, it's not the discomfort that's a factor with me. It's just that, when you've been sitting down for an hour, you stand up and the damn thing has twisted itself into something resembling a lump of bailing twine knotted round your waist. I'm still perfectly happy with my old fashioned DJ, but I would much prefer a waistcoat rather than the cummerbund.

J

Well, I personally like black watch tartan waistcoats the best. :)

Well, I personally like black watch tartan waistcoats the best. :)

Gail - go straight to your bathroom and wash your mouth out with soap! And let's have no more mentions of the Friceadan Dubh on here.

:D:D:D

J

Cue the jungle print photo Malcolm! :eek:

J

Err, Jimmy. How do I put this gently? :confused: It wasn't meant to appeal to the ladies :rolleyes: (Although I don't think it appealed to the men either :eek: )

Err, Jimmy. How do I put this gently? :confused: It wasn't meant to appeal to the ladies :rolleyes: (Although I don't think it appealed to the men either :eek: )

Well, it must have appealed to somebody. Enough people wore the darn thing.

:D:D:D

J

It depends how "formal" hubby wants to look....if it's a really, reeeaaally formal affair, where everyone will be dressed in tuxes and gowns, he wears it. If it's on a cruise ship, where many won't even be in a suit, he doesn't wear the cummerbund with his tux.

It depends how "formal" hubby wants to look....if it's a really, reeeaaally formal affair, where everyone will be dressed in tuxes and gowns, he wears it. If it's on a cruise ship, where many won't even be in a suit, he doesn't wear the cummerbund with his tux.

That's why the decision to move this thread from the Cunard board was a little baffling; the line being asked about is pretty relevant to the question...

Mary

That's why the decision to move this thread from the Cunard board was a little baffling; the line being asked about is pretty relevant to the question...

Mary

Exactly - seems a bit silly to move it to a general forum when it was aimed at Cunard voyages.

Unless you have zero body fat, you, like most men, will probably look best in a cummerbund or a waistcoat.

I'm assuming you're male. If you're not, then my apologies. Either way, I stand by the above.

I'm confused. I think you are quite wrong - and for this reason. If one is a little portly, then a cummerbund does rather screw itself up in a rather unattractive way. I'd have thought that it was only the thinner man who could get away with one.

Or am I just a very odd shape?

I'm no fan of them anyway. I have had a couple of dress shirts made so that they have the finish on the front right down to the bottom of the shirt, so that I can wear them without a cummerbund.

Perhaps the answer is a made to measure cummerbund, but I'm not really keen to invest over three hundred pounds in one.

WD

I absolutley agree...

My husband, much to my agreement, got rid of the cummerbund... I think they do nothing for the men of average weight and just add weight where there is none... One can look quite formal without them...

Sure having sailed QM2 a few times more people will ask tux questions than on other cruise lines, but many gents will have questions on a tux and I for one think it was a good mod decision to put this discussion for all to read on a fashion board.

and DH's 35 inch waist /middle is very "6 pack..so we snug his shirt in the back for a smooths look.

Whem he wears the other fashionable exceptable..a good colour dress shirt with a fab neck tie...sans c'bund. I see that at alot of formal occaisions at Yacht and Country Club events

Archived