Booze & Jewelry--I have to know

Hi Folks,

I just got back from my 6th cruise. I've got to know--what is with

the Booze and Jewelry sales? Do you really get a good deal on these items or are people buying them just for show, like "Hey I got this 1/2 gallon of Crown Royal look how awesome I am?"

Me personally I don't hardly ever touch the hard stuff. I wouldn't know if I got a good deal on it or not. It just seems that every port has the stores that sell booze by the truckload and there are a million jewelry stores.

All we ever buy is the occasional T-shirt and of course we load up on the oxycontin from the drugstores when we are in Mexico (just kidding).

Please help me understand :)

One of my parent's neighbors would go to the Caribbean in November on a cruise to do a lot of her Christmas shopping for jewelry. Go figure.

You need to price before you leave to know if your getting a good price. The problem is, you can't always find the same thing. Watches maybe but not jewelry. So to each his/her own. Any reason to cruise, right?:)

Like here in the states, if you don't know what you're buying, you could get ripped off. Me, not being an expert on jewelry, could easily be that person but we came across a great jeweler in St. Thomas and have purchased from him frequently. I was skeptical at first but after getting the items appraised here I'm a firm believer. We were directed to him by our family doctor. We still by pieces here, (Cathy loves her jewelry) but I have no fear buying from Pash.

"Hey I got this 1/2 gallon of Crown Royal look how awesome I am?" :)

lmao .. yep that is why I would buy some crown royal, so I could set it on my counter and people would say wow you are awesome, great bottle.

Actually, I dont price it at home, it is there and convenient, and sometimes I even have extra OBC to use up.

I don't get it either! I'm not much of a drinker, and I'm not into expensive jewelry. The hard sell for the various jewelry stores gets on my nerves the most! I do like to purchase an item or two at the Del Sol stores though :D

I DID purchase a nice watch, after comparing prices online and finding the ship's price to be fair.

I always price liquor at home before going. I love to cook and some of the specialty liquors that I use are half price on a cruise, so when we drive down, I buy quite a bit and we are set for about a year. Then is time to cruise again!

Once, I saw a man buying 15 CASES of liquor from the liquor store (12 in a case). He said he was giving them as Christmas presents to his clients. He said even with customs of about $2 a bottle, it was much cheaper than home, especially for premium brands. Your biggest savings are for things not made in the states or on things made in the islands.

As for jewelry, if I like it, I think the price is good, I'll buy it. I know one ring I have I bought for $85 in St. Thomas. A year later, I saw it at a Department store for double that price, so I was happy!

The booze is only a good deal if you don't have to fly back home after your cruise. If you do, then the weight restrictions on the luggage would not make it cost effective. If there is a way to package it & ship it home from your disembark port - then maybe. But it sounds like a lot of work.

Long ago on a non cruise vacay to mazatlan, I bought some bottles of booze, kahlua & what else I can't remember. Carried it on the plane. It was a hassle wrangling with that bag as well as having to deal with my other luggage. Never again.

Hi Folks,

I just got back from my 6th cruise. I've got to know--what is with

the Booze and Jewelry sales? Do you really get a good deal on these items or are people buying them just for show, like "Hey I got this 1/2 gallon of Crown Royal look how awesome I am?"

Me personally I don't hardly ever touch the hard stuff. I wouldn't know if I got a good deal on it or not. It just seems that every port has the stores that sell booze by the truckload and there are a million jewelry stores.

All we ever buy is the occasional T-shirt and of course we load up on the oxycontin from the drugstores when we are in Mexico (just kidding).

Please help me understand :)

I couldn't tell you about the jewelry, my wife isn't into jewelry. As far as the liquor goes, there are great deals. Obviously if you aren't a drinker it wouldn't matter to you, but I usually buy 4 or 5 bottles of Scotch and save probably $100+ dollars between the price and the lack of tax....

lmao .. yep that is why I would buy some crown royal, so I could set it on my counter and people would say wow you are awesome, great bottle.

Actually, I dont price it at home, it is there and convenient, and sometimes I even have extra OBC to use up.

I prefer the 4 liter Johnny Black Bottles:)

We too, have very good friends who are both GIA certified gemologists. When on cruises with them, I always get them to take a look at different stores, both ashore, and aboard the ship. They both say that it's about 50/50. Half of the stuff you look at is a reasonable, to good deal, and the other half is questionable, and you could probably do better at a good, trustworthy jewelery store at home. Personally, I always buy from either that couple, or from my son-in-law who is a gold smith! ;)

"SKY"

The only expensive jewelry I have purchased was two omega watches: I bought mine in Grand Cayman at Kirk Freeport, and my DH's at The Royale Shop in Negril Jamaica. I had done all my research on-line and at local stores prior to purchasing overseas. We have a local jeweler that makes and designs all of my other jewelry.

On my daughter honeymoon crusie in April they bought one Royal crown, expense gin, and grey goose. It was there first cruise so they didn't think anything of 2 boxes delivered the night b4 departcation. When got home. (they live in a port city) and open the boxes they had 2 of everything! They called to try to give back but Carnvial said they could take it back and Enjoy!

The booze is a good bargin if you can get it home. I bought some jewary I loved and still love. If you like it and you can afford it buy. Just watch out for the art!

Jewlery was a deal 20-30 years ago but not anymore. The risk of being taken is far too high for any possible savings. One of the easiest diamond scams is were they show you a "european" gem certificate EGL of the gems quality. This is different from the higher standards of the GIA rating you might be comparing the peice to in the States. So, you pay less but get a lesser diamond. Of course they will give you an appraisal for 5 times the value. :cool:

The booze can be a good deal especially the first night sale of the Sheridanns

We always buy Sheridans. We were surprised to see that the price had gone up . But, bought it anyway.

Archived