Crusie Line and Port?

CP Family

Hi! We're a family of 5. My hubby and I will be celebrating our 20th in December over the holiday break. We'd like to take our kids along with us to celebrate. They are 16-19 years of age. Thoughts about cruise line? Favorite port? We're beach people. Love clean, clear water with white sand...Love snorkling. Been to the Cayman's: would live there if we could.

Worried about holiday break and tons of kids. Budget is a factor. HELP! Not sure what and where to go!

Any suggestions would be helpful.

We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary last year and took our teenager girls and a friend (17, 18 and 18) on a cruise last year to Bermuda and loved it. Here are the reasons we chose this destination:

Cost: One of the least expensive 7 days cruise we found. NCL Dawn

Port: Sailed out of Manhattan so we were able to see the big city for a couple of days before the cruise

Bermuda-safe: Bermuda is a very affluent port compared to the Caribbean and seemed much safer for us since we allowed the teens to sight see on their own. The port actually has a club on the beach for cruise ship passengers called Hammerheads so I let our girls hang out there on their own in the evening. (drinking age in Bermuda is 18)

Bermuda: The ship docks in Bermuda for three days so you get to see the island at your own pace. You use the ship as a floating hotel and can return when ever you wish without fear of missing the boat.

Transportation: pubic transportation on Bermuda is inexpensive and there is no need for expensive excursions to enjoy that gorgeous island. For $78 for three days you have unlimited rides on the ferries and buses that go over the entire island.

Friendly: Bermuda is one of the friendliest places you will ever go to. The island has a British culture and greeting people is taken seriously.

Climate: Bermuda is not a tropical island so for best water temps, Late May through October is the best time to go.

Beaches: Gorgeous beaches and you did mention white sands. Bermuda does have some of those but the best beaches on the island are pink!

Cruiseline: NCL in my opinion has a younger crowd than most cruiselines with the exception of Carnival. Entertainment is top notch. Food is okay and I have had better but still good enough to gain some vacation weight. Celebrity also serves Bermuda as well.

Good luck with your vacation planning.

Driving would save lots $$$ with 5 people. Best to drive in the day before, find a hotel with a park and cruise package. Look at web sites for the lines leaving from each port to see what is offered for each. Narrow down to several you like and do some serious shopping. Then look on Cruise Critic at each stop to see if this is something you would like. Get a legal pad and write down the +'s & -'s of each line, it will soon show a clear picture of the best choice for you.

Where are you comming from? What Port is close to you? Within driving distance?

It says austin tx up in the upper right hand corner for location.

If its this year, Magic is there and Triumph. Triumph for a short cruise, its almost conquest class size. Magic is still almost brand new and expensive, but it would be awesome.

Mariner will be in port then too, and I have it booked too. Its a wow ship and worth more than Magic to me. So compare prices.

PS these all leave from Galveston this Dec .. not sure why people are telling you to drive to NY? I love Galveston, its a great port to leave from.

And certainly not Bermuda in Dec., if you like beaches...

I just researched cruises for another thread, and there are really reasonable cruises out of FL in Dec., especially right before Christmas. EM

Carnival Magic, Carnival Triumph and Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas do both 7 & 8 day sailings out of Galveston in December.

Galveston, Texas Cruise Ship Schedule 2011/12:

http://www.galveston.com/cruiseschedule/

Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas, Norwegian Spirit and Carnival Conquest do 7 day sailings from New Orleans to the Caribbean.

New Orlean, Louisiana Cruise Schedule 2011/12

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/fromneworleanslouisiana-dec2011.html

Jonathan

With 5 in the family, I would not consider FL either .. or NY. why??

I have gone out of New Orleans to save money when the cruises out of that port are a lot cheaper, .. so it wouldnt hurt to look at both ports .. as someone pointed out New Orleans is also close enough to drive.

Archived