Hey Mon...I had a great time in Falmouth Jamaica

Well I didn't think I would be saying it.....but I had a great time in Jamaica last week. We were on Freedom and made port in Falmouth. The port itself is looking great....I was very impressed with the quality of the work they are doing. This port is going to look really nice once complete. However, from comparing the pix I saw months ago to what I experienced in person, the progress appears to be very slow....I think it's going to be closer to the end of this year before you start seeing buildings being occupied.

The port itself has very little to do right now....20 minutes and you will be done....so you must plan an excursion or else this will pretty much turn into a ship day. I didn't walk around outside the port but driving thru Falmouth on the way to our excursion I didn't see any need to....there really wasn't anything I saw that would entice me to want to walk around town. Other guests I talked to that did venture into town on their own mentioned that the vendors were a quite aggressive....the usual stories of pulling you and following you around, not taking no as an answer. Inside the port area the vendors were all very polite....I was never bothered once. I noticed they are building a large wooden dock right next to the pier....so it looks like they will be adding some more excursions via water/boat.

We did the Chukka Tubing Safari and had a great time....you see my full review with pix here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439487

Thanks for the positive review! I love Jamaica and sometimes it takes a beating on these boards and I do understand why but its nice to see good things too! This tour sounds like another great choice

Thanks for your candor. We'll be there twice next year - mid-February and late-November. It will be very interesting to see the change between the two visits.

I'm off to check out your excursion... Trying to decide what to do while we are there, need something that our kids can do.

When we went there last month, we walked the streets outside the port gates. The venders did not hastle us at all. We just turned and walked on. Found a stand by the local Salvation Army church where I bought Blue Mountain coffee for $13 a pound. Inside the port they were selling it for $13 a half pound. I'm looking forward to a return visit.

We just returned from our cruise on Freedom where we stopped in Falmouth. Not a single problem. Port is looking great, the people are fantastic. We had zero issues with the area. Everyone is there to make sure you have a great time, which we did!

Hey Steve, glad to hear you had a good time in Jamaica. While on a land trip to Jamaica last year I met the chief engineer and he told me things are going so much slower than ever anticipated. He did say it will be well worth the wait once completed. Will be visiting in Feb. Hopefully it is will be a completed project by then. Have to check out the link to this excursion. Thanks!:)

Ya-Mon I agree!

We ended up going to Dunns River Falls, which too the entire day so we never ended up walking around the pier, but what we did see was very nice!

Did you book the Dunns River Falls excursion through the ship or a private tour or go on your own? We really want to go there, so we are considering several options when we are on the Freedom in September. My main concern with the private tour is not making it back in time since it is such a far drive and missing the ship.

Did you book the Dunns River Falls excursion through the ship or a private tour or go on your own? We really want to go there, so we are considering several options when we are on the Freedom in September. My main concern with the private tour is not making it back in time since it is such a far drive and missing the ship.

Yes we booked the trip through the ship, I too did not want to take that chance of missing the ship, and we just made it back as they were taking down one of the gangways............:eek:

This excursion was a combined trip with Dolphin Cove, which took up most of the time, but we did have a good time at the Cove. It was about a 1 hour drive and at least that long back with traffic and it was raining pretty good, funny as I believe it is about 35 miles and took 1 hour to get there...........I was chatting with a "vendor" about booking a beach/falls package and he was insistent on leaving EARLY as soon as we can get off the ship to beat the crowds and the traffic leaving the port, it was crazy busy leaving the port with buses going all over the place, it took us about 40 mins just to get out of the port. BTW I loved the Falls as they are very beautiful and was very much worth it! Have fun and take pictures, I took a waterproof camera and it was just took dark for the pictures to come out :( My wife did the walk along the side and stayed dry, I wish she would have had the camera.......Oh well we will have to do it again....;)

Dunn's River Falls is awesome as is Jamaica itself. Unfortunately, the Falls are much more conveniently located to Ochio Rios than to Falmouth. It is also much more economical to get to the Falls from O.R. It seems like it now is an all day affair to visit them leaving little time to do anything else.

Yes we booked the trip through the ship, I too did not want to take that chance of missing the ship, and we just made it back as they were taking down one of the gangways............:eek:

This excursion was a combined trip with Dolphin Cove, which took up most of the time, but we did have a good time at the Cove. It was about a 1 hour drive and at least that long back with traffic and it was raining pretty good, funny as I believe it is about 35 miles and took 1 hour to get there...........I was chatting with a "vendor" about booking a beach/falls package and he was insistent on leaving EARLY as soon as we can get off the ship to beat the crowds and the traffic leaving the port, it was crazy busy leaving the port with buses going all over the place, it took us about 40 mins just to get out of the port. BTW I loved the Falls as they are very beautiful and was very much worth it! Have fun and take pictures, I took a waterproof camera and it was just took dark for the pictures to come out :( My wife did the walk along the side and stayed dry, I wish she would have had the camera.......Oh well we will have to do it again....;)

Yes....this is something they do need to work on.

Dunn's River Falls is awesome as is Jamaica itself. Unfortunately, the Falls are much more conveniently located to Ochio Rios than to Falmouth. It is also much more economical to get to the Falls from O.R. It seems like it now is an all day affair to visit them leaving little time to do anything else.

Agreed............

If we ever do Dunns again, it will def be from the OR port.......

Yes....this is something they do need to work on.

I now understand why the vendor was very persistent on getting out of the port as soon as he can.

Well I didn't think I would be saying it.....but I had a great time in Jamaica last week. We were on Freedom and made port in Falmouth. The port itself is looking great....I was very impressed with the quality of the work they are doing. This port is going to look really nice once complete. However, from comparing the pix I saw months ago to what I experienced in person, the progress appears to be very slow....I think it's going to be closer to the end of this year before you start seeing buildings being occupied.

The port itself has very little to do right now....20 minutes and you will be done....so you must plan an excursion or else this will pretty much turn into a ship day. I didn't walk around outside the port but driving thru Falmouth on the way to our excursion I didn't see any need to....there really wasn't anything I saw that would entice me to want to walk around town. Other guests I talked to that did venture into town on their own mentioned that the vendors were a quite aggressive....the usual stories of pulling you and following you around, not taking no as an answer. Inside the port area the vendors were all very polite....I was never bothered once. I noticed they are building a large wooden dock right next to the pier....so it looks like they will be adding some more excursions via water/boat.

We did the Chukka Tubing Safari and had a great time....you see my full review with pix here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439487

Steve, thanks for your review. Like so many others, I am trying to figure out what we will do in Falmouth. The excursion sounds like fun, and you clearly had a great time, so this question may be superfluous.

But I'll ask it anyway. :)

Do you feel that you got your "money's worth"? The price seems steep to me for the time you spent tubing.

Oh, and did you (or could you have) explore the Hope Estate on your own?

Steve, thanks for your review. Like so many others, I am trying to figure out what we will do in Falmouth. The excursion sounds like fun, and you clearly had a great time, so this question may be superfluous.

Do you feel that you got your "money's worth"? The price seems steep to me for the time you spent tubing.

From what I remember, they have a shuttle that will take you to the Hope Estate, which I am guessing you can explore on your own, and then come back when you please.

I also thought the price was a bit steep when I signed up....but I have to say that the facilities there are very nice....so I guess that is what you are paying for. The buses are also new and nice....so all in all you are getting a good quality experience and in that I felt it was worth the price.

No, there wasn't an opportunity on this tour to explore the Hope Estate.

well i didn't think i would be saying it.....but i had a great time in jamaica last week. We were on freedom and made port in falmouth. The port itself is looking great....i was very impressed with the quality of the work they are doing. This port is going to look really nice once complete. However, from comparing the pix i saw months ago to what i experienced in person, the progress appears to be very slow....i think it's going to be closer to the end of this year before you start seeing buildings being occupied.

The port itself has very little to do right now....20 minutes and you will be done....so you must plan an excursion or else this will pretty much turn into a ship day. I didn't walk around outside the port but driving thru falmouth on the way to our excursion i didn't see any need to....there really wasn't anything i saw that would entice me to want to walk around town. Other guests i talked to that did venture into town on their own mentioned that the vendors were a quite aggressive....the usual stories of pulling you and following you around, not taking no as an answer. Inside the port area the vendors were all very polite....i was never bothered once. I noticed they are building a large wooden dock right next to the pier....so it looks like they will be adding some more excursions via water/boat.

We did the chukka tubing safari and had a great time....you see my full review with pix here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439487

hi ,bajathree

i am very,very ,very glad you enjoyed my town.

I also take note of the situation with the vendors.

I also thought the price was a bit steep when I signed up....but I have to say that the facilities there are very nice....so I guess that is what you are paying for. The buses are also new and nice....so all in all you are getting a good quality experience and in that I felt it was worth the price.

No, there wasn't an opportunity on this tour to explore the Hope Estate.

What extra fees were involved? I'm assuming you had to pay cash for locker and food. How much cash did you need?

when we went there last month, we walked the streets outside the port gates. The venders did not hastle us at all. We just turned and walked on. Found a stand by the local salvation army church where i bought blue mountain coffee for $13 a pound. Inside the port they were selling it for $13 a half pound. I'm looking forward to a return visit.

hi, guys glad you came to my town and enjoyed it come back soon .

We just returned from our cruise on Freedom where we stopped in Falmouth. Not a single problem. Port is looking great, the people are fantastic. We had zero issues with the area. Everyone is there to make sure you have a great time, which we did!

HI,LOST13th, happy you enjoyed my town .please sail back soon.

What extra fees were involved? I'm assuming you had to pay cash for locker and food. How much cash did you need?

Yes...I believe the locker if I remember correctly was $4...the same that Royal charges on Labadee for the Dragon's Flight. I believe the jerk chicken was $7 and red Stripes like $4. They also have beef patties...forget the price on them. They also had rum drinks in a fresh coconut but I stuck with the Red Stripes.

Archived