Changing visa rules for St Petersburg

I hear that people on Norwegian Cruise Line tours of St Petersburg this summer are being allowed by their guides to wander off for a while, although they still need to book a tour in order to go ashore.

Apparently the whole Russsian Visa Waiver law is unclear. More and more visitors are getting to see St Petersburg on their own.

[Link]

Has anyone been "let off the leash" in this way? What line were you cruising on?

-Lucy

I hear that people on Norwegian Cruise Line tours of St Petersburg this summer are being allowed by their guides to wander off for a while, although they still need to book a tour in order to go ashore.

Apparently the whole Russsian Visa Waiver law is unclear. More and more visitors are getting to see St Petersburg on their own.

[Link]

Has anyone been "let off the leash" in this way? What line were you cruising on?

-Lucy

Last year our tour went to a department store down by the river for half an hour. I didn't want to do that and asked the guide if I could walk across the bridge and take a few photos, returning at the appointed time. She said that was no problem. It seems whatever the letter of the law says that a bit of common sense is used.

We were on a private tour with SPB and on the NCL Sun June 22 sailing. Our guide told us that the only place authorities checked visas was at the ship. In town no one cared, she said. So I think you have freedom. My sister and her friend used SPB and a private driver to just wander the Nevsky Prospekt after our day one ended and they reported no problems. They went wherever they wanted, sometimes with, sometimes without, the driver.

Not to be a person to throw cold water on this, but everything will be fine as long as nothing goes wrong. But, God forbid something does go wrong, and you may find yourself watching your ship sail away while you are talking to Russian authorities. I can see wandering away from your group for a few minutes, but doing things on your won can end up being a big problem.

Cheers

Len

Not to be a person to throw cold water on this, but everything will be fine as long as nothing goes wrong. But, God forbid something does go wrong, and you may find yourself watching your ship sail away while you are talking to Russian authorities. I can see wandering away from your group for a few minutes, but doing things on your won can end up being a big problem.

Cheers

Len

I agree. You should be sensible and work with your guide and seek their advice and coordinate with them. If the guide discourages you, listen to them, not me. The guides are much more familiar with what to expect than I as one who went on one two day trip could ever be.

IMO - it's all about 'being reasonable' and working with your guide...

I'm into photography and on a number of occassions I asked the tour-guide if it was OK for me to go elsewhere (not that far) while the main tour was snapping away at the bog-standard 'designated' point. Mostly it wasn't a problem, my guide knew where I was going, and I made sure I didn't hold up the group while I was doing my thing...

I didn't though, wander off unanounced, or more than say 100 yards/meters from the main group...

At the end of the day, a Visa is still required in Russia, and if you are by any chance caught off-guard without your guide and without a Visa, then, of course, there could be a problem. Russian 'jobswoth's' are just as bad as jobsworth's anywhere else!

If you want flexibility book a private tour of St Pete. Four of us booked one with Alla and the guide, while keeping to the core sites of the tour worked around us. If you wander off on your own you will be obviously a lone tourist ( by what you wear and how you walk)and an easy target for pickpockets and petty criminals.

The rules were looser than I expected. I was in St. Petersburg on a Holland America shore excursion at the end of May. The guide was very casual at times about where we all were. A few blocks from the Hermitage, we were given about 90 minutes of free time to get our own lunch and shop. There is no way she could have kept track of us all. The other time it was clearly ok to do our own thing was at Peterhof (although it would be difficult to get into trouble there.)

I do agree that if there had been an "incident" it wouldn't have been good to be too far away from the group.

Cheers

Len

I was thinking the exact same thing!

When we were there several years ago, one of the tourists on the ship-tour snapped a photo in the subway (despite warnings) and the whole group was detained for two hours. Just be careful what you photograph.

We received no such warnings and took pictures freely in the subway, and everywhere we went, for that matter. I think things have changed considerably in the last several years.

[Link]

-Lucy

Lucy, We were in Russia in September of 2010 on a riverboat cruise & had to have our own visa, not a blanket one from the cruise line. In both St. Petersburg & Moscow we were able to travel freely from our group as long as we returned at the apporiate time & meeting place.

Also we did both cities one day completely on our own, taking the metro from near the dock into the city. We saw everything we wanted, enjoyed a good Rissian meal, & were never concerned about our safety. We had no encounters with negative results. If we were confused or needed help, we just asked people under 30 years old as most speak English. We found them to be most helpful with directions & using the subway.

Never once were we asked for any papers or approached by the police. We did carry photo copies of our passport & visa. Along with the boats name, location, and phone number in both English & Russian.

These solo trips added greatly added to our experince. Finally neither my wife or I speak or read any Russian. We are both in our mid-60's. We found that 4 days was not enough in St. Petersburg, but just right in Moscow.

onespots -- thank you for posting your experience. The hyperbole in some posts regarding fears of experiencing St. Petersburg on one's own and/or getting left behind seem to occasionally veer into hysteria.

Judging by what others have written about their recent experiences in this thread, it does indeed seem as though there is a bit less tightly controlled touring experience than previously in St. Petersburg. I'm happy to hear it!

In a few years I plan to return to St. Petersburg and will get my own visa and tour on my own. I look forward to it and to reporting my experiences here.

onespots -- thank you for posting your experience. The hyperbole in some posts regarding fears of experiencing St. Petersburg on one's own and/or getting left behind seem to occasionally veer into hysteria.

Judging by what others have written about their recent experiences in this thread, it does indeed seem as though there is a bit less tightly controlled touring experience than previously in St. Petersburg. I'm happy to hear it!

I completely agree. I think that a lot of things have changed in the last few years, and people are holding on to slightly outdated impressions. While SPB is definitely still among the hardest cities to plan your own port day (aside from the legal logistics, it's a huge place, and there's still a strong language barrier), I don't think it's nearly as impossible as it was just five years ago.

One recent development that isn't mentioned on the forum all that often is the new visa-free ferry trips from Helsinki and Stockholm. While technically you do have to be part of an organized sightseeing excursion (which sounds just like the cruiseline regs), the "excursion" can simply be the €20 City Bus shuttle, allowing you to "move freely in St.Petersburg" for the entire day. (Since the visa-free rule extends up to 72 hours, I believe you can even opt to stay in a hotel in town, as long as you follow the obligatory foreign registration procedures.)

For reference, here are the ferry company's details on the visa-free rules:

http://www.stpeterline.ru/en/Goodtoknow/Visafreerule.aspx

I would love to see the City Bus company start doing something similar at the new cruise port, but I would venture to guess there's too much money changing hands between the cruiselines and the tour operators for that to happen anytime too soon! ;)

[Link]

-Lucy

We are cruising with Fred.Olsen at the end of this month. One of their tours is called "St Petersburg Souvenirs". The description states "we will be dropped within walking distance of Nevsky Prospect for some free time to shop and sightsee at leisure."

We haven't booked this tour but clearly passengers are being 'let off the leash.'

In a few years I plan to return to St. Petersburg and will get my own visa and tour on my own. I look forward to it and to reporting my experiences here.

Hello Cynthia,

Happy to share our travel experiences, although somewhat limited in comparison to many on this site. Should you have questions, send me an email. Best Wishes, John

sfaigle@aol.com

I completely agree. I think that a lot of things have changed in the last few years, and people are holding on to slightly outdated impressions. While SPB is definitely still among the hardest cities to plan your own port day (aside from the legal logistics, it's a huge place, and there's still a strong language barrier), I don't think it's nearly as impossible as it was just five years ago.

One recent development that isn't mentioned on the forum all that often is the new visa-free ferry trips from Helsinki and Stockholm. While technically you do have to be part of an organized sightseeing excursion (which sounds just like the cruiseline regs), the "excursion" can simply be the €20 City Bus shuttle, allowing you to "move freely in St.Petersburg" for the entire day. (Since the visa-free rule extends up to 72 hours, I believe you can even opt to stay in a hotel in town, as long as you follow the obligatory foreign registration procedures.)

For reference, here are the ferry company's details on the visa-free rules:

http://www.stpeterline.ru/en/Goodtoknow/Visafreerule.aspx

Just remember what the visa waiver rules are (relevant to people here):

- cruise to St Petersburg

- less than 72 hours

- sleep on ship

- authorised tour company

So the riverboat tour to Moscow would definitely have had to visas, but if you have a visa you can go where you want anyway. The conditions of the ferry from Helsinki are slightly different. Just to be clear (and as per link above) hotel stays apply to this, not cruise ships. I would not want to have to explain to the Russian officials why my entry stamp was yesterday but I am only going back to the cruise ship today. (They stamp both entry and exit on the first day.)

It's as well to remember people brought up under authoritarian rule, or by parents who were brought up in that type of society, often have a different way of seeing the world. We noticed the same thing on a visit to Croatia a few years ago - you just got the sense you did not want to mess with these immigration officials. You can even see it in the way the museum people react to anyone who does not toe the line, completely different to the way it is done in the western world. Yes it may have improved a lot in the past few years, but it is still far from what most people on the cruise ships are used to.

I have organised my own tours all over the world, with one notable exception, Russia.Corruption is endemic in Russian society so venturing out on your own is not advisable.

Can you provide any more concrete information for your opinion? As I mentioned above, I plan to take another Baltics cruise in the next couple of years and, having been to St. Petersburg on a private tour, I would prefer to do it on my own (with visa) this time. I have read reports of others doing so with no problems. Like yourself, I have done it on my own in many different places around the world.

What corruption is there that would present imminent dangers to a Western tourist? One certainly doesn't hear of tourist kidnappings or murders (as happens regularly in some ports where cruise ships routinely go, such as Mexico or certain Caribbean islands). Pickpocketing is rife throughout the world and I know how to prevent that.

I'd like to know what I should be on my guard against in St. Petersburg in particular?

When we were there on Disney Magic last summer, one of the ship's excursions was a 'shopping' one, where they just dropped you off in the city centre for a few hours on your own. So that is clearly already perfectly possible.

Totally doable. We are on the Vision now and last week had the SPB at your Leisure tour. We were dropped off at Arts Square and six hours later picked up and returned to the ship. Cost $45. We got online tickets for the Hermitage $17.95 each spent three hours there. Walked to Church of Spilled Blood toured there. Walked through parks and along canal, shopped etc. Lovely day.

Go for it---I don't believe in living your life in fear.

Can you provide any more concrete information for your opinion? As I mentioned above, I plan to take another Baltics cruise in the next couple of years and, having been to St. Petersburg on a private tour, I would prefer to do it on my own (with visa) this time. I have read reports of others doing so with no problems. Like yourself, I have done it on my own in many different places around the world.

What corruption is there that would present imminent dangers to a Western tourist? One certainly doesn't hear of tourist kidnappings or murders (as happens regularly in some ports where cruise ships routinely go, such as Mexico or certain Caribbean islands). Pickpocketing is rife throughout the world and I know how to prevent that.

I'd like to know what I should be on my guard against in St. Petersburg in particular?

I traveled to Russia on my own in October 2009 and wandered all about on my own with no problem. I had read the stories about corruption and especially many dealing with corrupt police who would give hassles for a bribe. Although I was in close proximity to police many many times, it was never a problem. On one occasion I was trying to buy beer in a small shop while police were dealing with a drunk. They just talked to him and warned him, but most significantly, one of them motioned to the clerk to help me. On another occasion a cop whistled at me to stop entering a place at the Kremlin that I wasn't allow to be. When I turned around, he just waived his baton at me and smiled. You can hear all sorts of stories about bad things in Russia, but not from me, based on 2 weeks in St. Petersburg and Moscow.

We are cruising with Fred.Olsen at the end of this month. One of their tours is called "St Petersburg Souvenirs". The description states "we will be dropped within walking distance of Nevsky Prospect for some free time to shop and sightsee at leisure."

/quote]

Hope to see you on this one, we have booked this trusting that 'Fred' would not be letting its passengers do it if it was not possible.

See you soon.

Travelingman52

Archived