What would you consider a good deal?

izmeeh

It seems like firefly333 goes on a lot of cruises, and she keeps saying "if the right deal comes along .." I wanted to PM her but couldn't due to PM being disabled.

Firefly333, I'm sure you're reading this since you seem to read every thread. I hope to get your input as well. :)

Before I went on a cruise, I was told to look for cruises under $50/night. My first cruise cost a bit more than that since it was during the President's week, and I had an ocean view room. I see cruise prices in FL for under $50/night quite often. (Hurricane season?) I can't seem to find those low prices here in California. (I can't afford to fly to a port for a cruise just yet.) For prices around $60/night, you have to go on a cruise during off seasons like early December or January.

For cruises during Christmas and Summer, what would you consider a good price or "the right deal"?

Ocean view on a 4 day cruise for 7/18 is $399/person under Pack & Go, but I'm not sure if that is a good enough price since you don't know where they will put you.

Also, why would someone picks Fun Saver over Pack & Go if a cruise is within a month or so? I know Pack & Go is nonrefundable. Isn't it the same with Fun Saver since it's after the final due date? I'm not sure why Carnival offers both rates at the same time. I might have missed something.

less than 53$ is good on that, less than 45$, when double..I get Interline rate, and I watch for $redux...I;m at $23 a day for my balc on Magic Repo 16 days.....what a coup!..I have a roomie that is at less than $800 total/$50 a day

It seems like firefly333 goes on a lot of cruises, and she keeps saying "if the right deal comes along .." I wanted to PM her but couldn't due to PM being disabled.

Firefly333, I'm sure you're reading this since you seem to read every thread. I hope to get your input as well. :)

Before I went on a cruise, I was told to look for cruises under $50/night. My first cruise cost a bit more than that since it was during the President's week, and I had an ocean view room. I see cruise prices in FL for under $50/night quite often. (Hurricane season?) I can't seem to find those low prices here in California. (I can't afford to fly to a port for a cruise just yet.) For prices around $60/night, you have to go on a cruise during off seasons like early December or January.

For cruises during Christmas and Summer, what would you consider a good price or "the right deal"?

Ocean view on a 4 day cruise for 7/18 is $399/person under Pack & Go, but I'm not sure if that is a good enough price since you don't know where they will put you.

Also, why would someone picks Fun Saver over Pack & Go if a cruise is within a month or so? I know Pack & Go is nonrefundable. Isn't it the same with Fun Saver since it's after the final due date? I'm not sure why Carnival offers both rates at the same time. I might have missed something.

Best deal I've gotten in awhile for a CA cruise was $649 for 7 day balcony room on the NCL Star out of San Pedro last February.

However, I have to plan my vacations ahead of time so I can't really do Pack and Go.

Last summer there was a hurricane that stopped Ecstasy for coming into Galveston for one day, so the next cruise out was a 3 day to nowhere. I got it for $129 pp, but I talked to people who got it cheaper.

On a cruise like that, where its disrupted, I think people talk more than usual.

I dont usually cruise during the summer, but I got a good deal the last two May's just prior to summer. This year was something I cant post since we cant discuss TAs, but the one the year before was because of the swine flu.

Things come up .. and if I can take advantage of special pricing I do.

PS since Im pretty much paying 100% of the cruisefare, no matter if I invite someone along or not, I would personally never pay $399 pp for a 4/5 day and never have so far.

PS since Im pretty much paying 100% of the cruisefare, no matter if I invite someone along or not, I would personally never pay $399 pp for a 4/5 day and never have so far.

I don't travel by myself but I do have to pay for the entire trip. What would your max be $/person/day in term on cruisefare?

As a teacher, I can also only cruise during certain time periods. I am not embarrassed to say that I pay premium prices to get away, and I don't break it down to a per day price. (or I may get sick!!:p) Now that you got me curious, I did break down my President's week cruise - it comes to $101 dollars a day pp for an 8D cabin. (Glory 7 days) I paid quite a bit more than that for my Christmas sailing on Liberty. I will probaby never see the low numbers you people get, but I am happy with what I have, at this time and point in my life. When I retire in 2-3 years, I will hopefully get those bargain prices. Till then, I'll live thru all of you!:D

I had always heard in the past that anything at $100/day or less for a cruise was a good deal. Of course, that was before the recent economic calamity. In researching the cruise I booked a few months ago, prices in the $50 to $60 per day range were showing up. This made me curious so I started reading some articles about cruise prices in the last few years, since I had been out of the loop.

As with anything, economic conditions and supply and demand play into the pricing picture. What had happened since I last cruised in 1997 was multi faceted. For one thing there are a lot more ships sailing currently (increased supply). With a bad economy, people spend less on vacation (low demand). Older smaller ships seem to be less expensive. Newer bigger ships can charge more. From my research, I learned that prices around $25/day were doable in the last few years. Recently cruise lines have adjusted ships and loads and it appears that rates are on the upswing in general.

My sweet spot now is $50 per day. I think anything lower than that is a screaming deal. It also has to do with the location and the time of the year that you want to cruise. To me $100/day or more, you are paying a premium to be on a newer ship or there is something in high demand about the ship, time of year, or the cruise itself.

Of course, I am in the SE. There are lots of cruise ports that are close by, many within a 6 hr drive. I have never priced a CA cruise because I would have to add the cost of the airfare, but I am sure that there are a lot more cruises going out of the SE. That could account for lower prices in the SE area.

a good deal is when a vacation expense is less than the amount you have alloted for that vacation.

this varies from person to person.

i scratch my head when i read someone post they can take 2 cruises in an inside room or one cruise in a balcony stateroom. to me, that's just a waste of 2 cruises.

i wouldn't stay at the 4 seasons in a room with no windows just to be at the 4 seasons either..

I think 399 for oceanview during Mid summer is a very good rate.

I agree. I know a couple that is actually on a cruise right now and they paid around $1,300 (total including taxes and port charges) for an OV on a 5 night trip. Mid-summer rates are very high. In contrast I am going on the same ship with the same ports and the same length for $850 total in September, and my room is more expensive than theirs (mid-ship and higher deck).

i scratch my head when i read someone post they can take 2 cruises in an inside room or one cruise in a balcony stateroom. to me, that's just a waste of 2 cruises.

i wouldn't stay at the 4 seasons in a room with no windows just to be at the 4 seasons either..

I respectfully disagree. What do you see out your window when you are asleep with your eyes closed? The same thing I see. I intend to spend most of my time on a cruise outside of the room. As with a hotel I want a clean functional room, but I would not pay a premium for the name on the door or gold bathroom fixtures. I have even heard other cruisers say that they love an inside cabin because of no light coming in and that they sleep better. I would consider an OV or balcony room if they were priced slightly more than an inside.

I have also noticed that cruise prices in Sept, prime hurricane season, are much higher than they used to be. I think the ES pricing has affected that.

Then they must have been super cheap before. We are sailing in September for 5 nights for the same price we paid last year in March for 4 nights, so we thought the pricing was actually decent.

Then they must have been super cheap before. We are sailing in September for 5 nights for the same price we paid last year in March for 4 nights, so we thought the pricing was actually decent.

They were. I booked ES for our Sept cruise and the total price was around $60/day/person for a 4A. I keep reading about these price drops, but our cruise keeps going up and up and up.

I started out at $299 per person for an inside cabin, 5 nights western caribbean (I've since upgrade to aft-balcony). oh well, there goes my "savings" but not too high, but it's so worth it to have my OWN lounge chair on my OWN deck.

When I told my in-laws, who live in Florida, that I got a great rate of $299 for a 5-day cruise, they said that was very expensive but they are used to 7-day cruises for $189. I told them I was very specific with my timeframe (schools are closed 2 of the 5 days the week we are cruising), etc.

Some day when I can cruise in mid-January without kids, I'll start saving the big bucks!

I started out at $299 per person for an inside cabin, 5 nights western caribbean (I've since upgrade to aft-balcony). oh well, there goes my "savings" but not too high, but it's so worth it to have my OWN lounge chair on my OWN deck.

When I told my in-laws, who live in Florida, that I got a great rate of $299 for a 5-day cruise, they said that was very expensive but they are used to 7-day cruises for $189. I told them I was very specific with my timeframe (schools are closed 2 of the 5 days the week we are cruising), etc.

Some day when I can cruise in mid-January without kids, I'll start saving the big bucks!

I live in Florida but apparently I'm cruising at the wrong times :).

I've never paid what I thought were high rates but I also don't get the types of rates your in-laws mentioned. I guess we've always been used to taking a vacation (and by vacation I mean trips that are at least 5 days and are not for the main purpose of visiting family or attending a wedding) in March for our anniversary and then one more between September and November so that's what we have continued doing even after we started cruising.

I respectfully disagree. What do you see out your window when you are asleep with your eyes closed? The same thing I see. I intend to spend most of my time on a cruise outside of the room. As with a hotel I want a clean functional room, but I would not pay a premium for the name on the door or gold bathroom fixtures. I have even heard other cruisers say that they love an inside cabin because of no light coming in and that they sleep better. I would consider an OV or balcony room if they were priced slightly more than an inside.

I agree.

Firefly, hope you're still reading this thread ... I have a question for ya. When you are looking for a cheapie cruise, (and since you've been to many ports multiple times so which ports you visit isn't that important), do you take into consideration what the port charges are? I am asking because I'm watching the Elation prices for a quick cruise b4 she leaves Mobile. I notice the itinerary that stops in Calica is $20+ more per person due to port charge there. So factoring that into the cruise cost, the Progresso/Cozumel itinerary is cheaper.

I know it's "only $20", but sometimes the point is, "how cheap cheap cheap can we grab a cruise to get to sea for 4 or 5 days". Just wondering if you also look at those port fees. Ha, you cruise so much you probably know them all by heart :)

BTW, how's your sister?

As a teacher, I can also only cruise during certain time periods. I am not embarrassed to say that I pay premium prices to get away, and I don't break it down to a per day price. (or I may get sick!!:p) Now that you got me curious, I did break down my President's week cruise - it comes to $101 dollars a day pp for an 8D cabin. (Glory 7 days) I paid quite a bit more than that for my Christmas sailing on Liberty. I will probaby never see the low numbers you people get, but I am happy with what I have, at this time and point in my life. When I retire in 2-3 years, I will hopefully get those bargain prices. Till then, I'll live thru all of you!:D

What a sweet thing to say....I know you look fwd to retirement

Firefly, hope you're still reading this thread ... I have a question for ya. When you are looking for a cheapie cruise, (and since you've been to many ports multiple times so which ports you visit isn't that important), do you take into consideration what the port charges are? I am asking because I'm watching the Elation prices for a quick cruise b4 she leaves Mobile. I notice the itinerary that stops in Calica is $20+ more per person due to port charge there. So factoring that into the cruise cost, the Progresso/Cozumel itinerary is cheaper.

I know it's "only $20", but sometimes the point is, "how cheap cheap cheap can we grab a cruise to get to sea for 4 or 5 days". Just wondering if you also look at those port fees. Ha, you cruise so much you probably know them all by heart :)

BTW, how's your sister?

Can add up.. I've had so many the last 5 cruzin years, (also uggs-upgrades) it has paid for over 2 cruzes in full. My TA, just went down $104 in less than a week..so it has got me hoveringjust over $15 a day! Gotta love that..so my time "fare checkin" dosent go unrewarded!

I personally prefer an inside stateroom for two reason. One is of course the money saved compared to the other more popular rooms = Balcony/Suite. The second reason is because when I finally make it to my room at night once I hit the bed I am out like a light and as soon as I wake up and showered I am back out on the lido. So for these two reasons I always get an inside room.

My TA, just went down $104 in less than a week..so it has got me hoveringjust over $15 a day! Gotta love that..so my time "fare checkin" dosent go unrewarded!

Congrats on your savings luckycruzer! We came "this-close" to booking that TA, but ended up on the Oct 16 Med instead. Are you doing a b2b or just the TA?

I don't travel by myself but I do have to pay for the entire trip. What would your max be $/person/day in term on cruisefare?

less than $100 a night PP (including tax) is great-we got our next one for $63 a night for an Inside Cabin--like JamDug73 says, we don't spend much time in the cabin either- but if we wre offered a free upgrade to an OV-modified in the same area, we wouldn't turn it down!

Archived