Concierge...is it worth the extra $$ on a TA

Baseball fan

I am looking at a TA on the Equinox next year and cannot decide between a 2B (unobstructed balcony) and a C3 (concierge). The cost difference is $170 per person for the 14 days. I am looking for some help comparing the benefits of concierge. I saw what was listed on Celebrity's website and I know about the extra cruise credit, but trying to see what others think.

Thanks in advance for your help.

On Equinox, I would say no. On the S class ship, the balcony cabins are all the same size so you'd be spending $340 for a bottle of champagne, some canapes, and a cruise credit. I'd rather take a 1A on the hump to get a bigger balcony.

I'd save the money for onboard spending. Now, on M class, I would do it especially for a C1 since the cabins are larger.

I am looking at a TA on the Equinox next year and cannot decide between a 2B (unobstructed balcony) and a C3 (concierge). The cost difference is $170 per person for the 14 days. I am looking for some help comparing the benefits of concierge. I saw what was listed on Celebrity's website and I know about the extra cruise credit, but trying to see what others think.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Personally I don't see much of an advantage to a Concierge cabin on an "S" class ship. The cabin size is the same. You can always request a special pillow. My cabin attendants have always provided me with breakfast menu items from the Concierge menu. Don't need the snacks since I go to the Elite Hour. I would prefer a hump balcony to a C3. Just my opinion, others may differ. Note: You do get an extra point if that's important to you.

Hello

We have just booked the Celebrity Century Christmas Cruise sailing from Sydney on the 24th December. Our first time with Celebirty and this will be our 25th cruise. We have booked an inside guarantee. To upgrade to Concierge class its an extra $2000 for the two of us for the 13 night cruise - would this be money well spent?

I have booked C3 on the Eclipse - it is a cabin on the hump. Main reason: I did it because I wanted to have the foot stool on the balcony. I have read that you can't get it otherwise by just asking the room stewart. On sea days we like to sit on the balcony. We are sailing in the Caribbean.

I have booked C3 on the Eclipse - it is a cabin on the hump. Main reason: I did it because I wanted to have the foot stool on the balcony. I have read that you can't get it otherwise by just asking the room stewart. On sea days we like to sit on the balcony. We are sailing in the Caribbean.

Think you would be better popping into Wal-mart or similar before you board and purchase a foldable foot stool for about 5 dollars and leave it when finished. As previous posters have stated as well, we would not purchase a CC cabin again on the S class ships, lot of extra Dollars just for a bottle of sparkling wine, fresh flower, dried up canopies and a foot stool.

As others have stated, the extra perks of a Concierge level are only worth it (for us) on those ships where the CC cabins and balconies are bigger. The extra perks (average champagne, pretty crappy canapes) are not worth it otherwise IMHO. You are also paying extra in gratuity too remember.

And hi WillNeil - see you just signed in on the Dec 24th sailing boards. Welcome. We are balcony lovers so that would be the only upgrade I would think of from an inside guarantee. But since you have been on almost 25 cruises, suspect you have a preference. I do know that our friends had an inside guarantee to Alaska a few years ago and were miraculously offered a CC a few weeks before our sailing, so you never know.

I have a similar Dilemma on the Summit. Upgrading from my current 2A to a C2 would be about $200/person. Has anyone found these rooms to be significantly different (other than the marginal s.f. increase)? Are there any other perks on M Class ships for Concierge Class or just the stated website items?

I agree with others in regards to the Solstice ships, not worth the extra money if the room dimensions don't change.

On Equinox, I would say no. On the S class ship, the balcony cabins are all the same size so you'd be spending $340 for a bottle of champagne, some canapes, and a cruise credit. I'd rather take a 1A on the hump to get a bigger balcony.

I'd save the money for onboard spending. Now, on M class, I would do it especially for a C1 since the cabins are larger.

We agree totally. That's what we did on a recent price drop on Solstice.

We signed up for Concierge class on the Millenium. At that time, this class was only $70. pp. for our 11 day cruise. Repricing prior to final payment made a regular balcony $250. less expensive so we opted to save the $500. or so.

We really saw no value in the canapes....most of the time we would not be in the cabin and food is not exactly in short supply on a ship. As for champagne, from what I understand it it just bubbly plonk. Our only consideration was a slightly larger cabin, but the $500. saving won out.

We would like to try Aqua class next. If we are going to spend incremental money, we want to get something that has value to us.

I agree with the other posters that on S-class I wouldn't pay much of a premium for concierge class.

One other idea to consider though....if aqua class pricing is favorable, I do find that worth paying somewhat of a premium. There are other benefits but for me the main selling points are Blu as the dining venue and access to the Persian Gardens.

Having just got back from a Solstice cruise, our first with Celebrity, there are some "pluses" and benefits from Concierge Class. When you got the thicker towels, they are nicer, the fresh juice and foot stool are better, etc. It's just a matter of how much more does it cost and will it be that much of "value" for your specific budget and personal needs. We didn't have to pay extra for that upgrade, which made it more of "value" to us. Better, but not hugely worth too much more in payment.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 18,614 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,928 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Hi all well we love balcony cabins and as the concierge C2 grade is on a special on the christmas cruise we can justify (just) the cost difference anyway its our first time on a Celebrity Ship so want it to be special and its Christmas!

Value is relative. Some people don't think twice about $10,000+ extra for a big suite and some people think it is silly to upgrade to anything beyond an inside cabin.

I usually say that if the cost difference is meaningful to you then take the less expensive cabin. By that I mean: Will it stretch your budget and cause you to spend less on other areas. If it won't then take the nice cabin. If it will then save money on the cabin and use it for other things like dinners in the specialty restuarant, spa, or drinks.

Personally, that cost difference is short of borderline and on the S class we probably would not do it unless we really liked the cabin location of the CC cabin. On M class we would at that price due to the larger cabin. For us, cabin size and location is the biggest factor (on S class there is no difference). The rest of the amenities are OK but not a really big deal - the nicer of these are the nicer linens and larger table on the veranda (dining table height vs. coffee table below CC class).

My TA offered me a C3 at £400 less, per person, than a 2B unobstructed balcony.

For us it made a huge saving.

Would I generally book a C3? Probably not. I can't see any reason that would entice me to spend the extra on whats offered.

There are no C3s on the hump... maybe you booked a C2?

Thanks everyone for your feedback. My parents had a concierge cabin on the Summit and I noticed it was slightly bigger than my cousin's balcony cabin down the hall....but I did read that the cabins are no bigger on the larger ships. $170 per person can buy alot on a ship....drinks, shore excursions, gambling money, etc.

Archived