Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

32N64W

Thanks...with my mom (71) me and a few of the kids, I think the taxi would be our best bet. I guess we would have to walk back though...or do you think the taxi would pick us up in say like an hour or so???

Can't hurt to ask! They are very courteous and would probably do that for you!

I remember on my first trip with a friend and not with my family, I insisted we go to Saturday evening mass in Freeport, Bahamas. Once we picked up the cab in front of the resort and told him where we were headed, he merrily drove and drove and drove! I was getting really panicked when we arrived to this precious little church in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. :eek:

I said, "Um... how are we supposed to get back???" He said - "I'll be here"

Sure enough - after mass (at which I prayed the entire time - God, I came to church for You, PLEASE get me back to the resort! :p lol) we stepped out of church, and there was our taxi driver, reading the newspaper! :D

Hi Ricatine and the Ducks,

When I did the original walk with timing, it took me just twenty two minutes from the Seaglass beach to the Clocktower Mall in the Dockyard (to the ship itself would be a bit longer, obviously).

You could therefore take a bus or taxi out and then stroll back (using the handy directions at the start of this thread).

I did it at Lunch time. It was hot. I would suggest you do this in the morning before it gets too warm, or maybe the evening, but not too late that you lose the light.

Have Fun!

if your sister is concerned about safety, why not take the bus (route #7 or #8 bus) to and return? You will be able to carry much more sea glass that way. There are directions by bus and a satellite photo in post #2 of this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1350162

FWIW, I think it is safe.

SBtS

SailBadtheSinner - thanks for your wealth of information. Excellent idea to take the bus and carry more sea glass back. That's what we will do this time. If we go to Bermuda again, my sister promised me we could walk!!

Hi Ricatine and the Ducks,

When I did the original walk with timing, it took me just twenty two minutes from the Seaglass beach to the Clocktower Mall in the Dockyard (to the ship itself would be a bit longer, obviously).

You could therefore take a bus or taxi out and then stroll back (using the handy directions at the start of this thread).

I did it at Lunch time. It was hot. I would suggest you do this in the morning before it gets too warm, or maybe the evening, but not too late that you lose the light.

Have Fun!

Thanks, good to know.

We walked to Sea Glass Beach on Monday (7-17) The photos were a great help, it felt like a scavenger hunt finding our way. The walk was about 25 minutes. We did not feel that there was a safety issue.

Thanks again, I look forward the my art projects and sharing the glass with other people who collect it.:D

We walked to Sea Glass Beach on Monday (7-17) The photos were a great help, it felt like a scavenger hunt finding our way. The walk was about 25 minutes. We did not feel that there was a safety issue.

Thanks again, I look forward the my art projects and sharing the glass with other people who collect it.:D

Thanks for the update. It is appreciated.

We made it there this past Wednesday - thanks so much for a cool adventure! I might add to the directions that you'll reach the entrance steps when you get to the green gate with the number 9 on it, which is along the left side of the Cochrane Rd. as you walk. The entrance to the steps also has a little yellow and white striped retractable awning. A local saw us get off the bus and directed us through the cemetery (we knew this was not exactly right, but went anyway...). This path does work, but do not go through the cemetery if you aren't steady on your feet, and it is littered with trash as mentioned in a previous post. We came back via the steps and Cochrane Rd. Had a great time there!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

We went to Horseshoe Bay and Church Bay. The snorkeling was terrific at Church Bay.

We hopped on the #7 bus and asked the driver to drop us at Black Bay. When we got off the bus...there were the Do not enter signs and Pink House, exactly from your pics!

My son joked, "Dad do you think that man is the one in the next pic?" The Man stood and greeted us asking if we were looking for seaglass and pointed us down the path!! :D

Your directions were perfect and my kids filled their bags with seaglass.

We walked back up the hill and caught the #7 bus back to the Dock.

We would have walked but the day before we walked way too much for the kids around the Battery in St. Georges!

Thank you for taking the time to give us so much info it made our trip extra special!!!!

I want to add that the people in Bermuda are the friendliest!!!!!!!!! Everyone was so helpful and kind. It was a beautiful 3 days!!!

Nancy

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

We went to Horseshoe Bay and Church Bay. The snorkeling was terrific at Church Bay.

We hopped on the #7 bus and asked the driver to drop us at Black Bay. When we got off the bus...there were the Do not enter signs and Pink House, exactly from your pics!

My son joked, "Dad do you think that man is the one in the next pic?" The Man stood and greeted us asking if we were looking for seaglass and pointed us down the path!! :D

Your directions were perfect and my kids filled their bags with seaglass.

We walked back up the hill and caught the #7 bus back to the Dock.

We would have walked but the day before we walked way too much for the kids around the Battery in St. Georges!

Thank you for taking the time to give us so much info it made our trip extra special!!!!

I want to add that the people in Bermuda are the friendliest!!!!!!!!! Everyone was so helpful and kind. It was a beautiful 3 days!!!

Nancy

Thanks for the update. Have plans to go to Church Bay. Did you catch the #7 from there to go back toward the seaglass beach? If so how long did you wait, and what time of day was it appx. Thanks again.

The route #7 bus from Hamilton to the Dockyards departs Hamilton every 30 minutes from 10:00am to 5:30pm, weekdays. So the max time you have to wait would be 30 minutes if you just missed the bus; but if the next bus is at capacity, it will pass you by so wait could be longer :(.

The #7 bus serves Elbow, Warwick & Horseshoe Bay Beaches before it reaches Church Bay. So the bus could be at capacity before it reaches CB especially if it is departure day for any cruise ship at the Dockyard.

SBtS

Thanks for the update. Have plans to go to Church Bay. Did you catch the #7 from there to go back toward the seaglass beach? If so how long did you wait, and what time of day was it appx. Thanks again.

We caught the #7 bus at Church Bay to go to Seaglass. DH showed the driver the pic and told him Black Bay stopped. Then he tipped him at the stop a few bucks. Yes it was crowded, about 1:30 pm on the day the Dawn left Dock at 5pm.

We spent about 30 minutes at Seaglass Beach. As we walked back up the hill we walked straight between 2 homes and stood by the pole. It was about 2:30 in the afternoon. I think we waited maybe 15 minutes. It was the day the Dawn left so the bus was pretty crowded but he stopped and we stood.

Just realized DH was signed in and not me!!! LOL!!!

Nancy

Edited by DH2PrincessNancy

thats a great map, this trip we are going to do this, as well as the one in st georges

Regards,

Brad and Moncia, (wavewriter)

We enjoyed both sea glass beaches. The only problem I had with St. Georges was that I didn't know EXACTLY where it was (unlike the one near dockyard), and the walk from Tobacco Bay (Postcard beautiful, no waves) to Fort St. Catherine, to the battery, back to town, became too long and hot. Again, mostly because of 3 teens, 90 degrees, and never being sure where I was going. I am one of those who really needs a map in a foreign country.

BUT, loved the sea glass beach RIGHT NEXT to the battery, on the left. Less dense glass than the dockyard, but protected and beautiful. Teen son crawled among the rocks to the right and found a more dense cache of glass.

The walk can be done, but have comfortable walking shoes, a map, and people who don't mind walking for the beauty of the views.

Hi Jack,

Yes, you could do the whole route in a powered wheelchair, except for the steps down to the actual beach. There is an awning of sorts at the top (see photos) where you can sit out of the sun and dispatch a minion to fetch seaglass for you.

Have Fun!

Hi Jrm,

In terms of your personal safety (which is what I'm assuming you're asking), yes, in my opinion it's perfectly safe.

However, there's not much lighting on the route and none whatever near the beach, so try and time it so you don't run out of daylight.

You can find sunset times here:

http://www.weather.bm/Tools/DaylightTimes.asp?Month=8&Year=2011

Have Fun!

We were just here on Friday thanks to these directions and pictures.

It was an easy walk for us and our teenagers. We found some great pieces of sea glass to add to our collections from other beaches that we have visited.

Thank you again!