Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

32N64W

Hi, Colette! How are you?? Drop me an email when you have time.

I'm thinking of buying some plain picture frames and gluing the glass onto the wood of the frames and using them to display my Bermuda pictures. We also bought a couple of the light green antique "marble bottles" that are stamped "J.H.P. Patterson Somerset Bermuda" with dates (we got a 1901 and a 1902) to put some of the glass in. I really wanted to buy a glass bowl in the glass-blowing factory but I was shocked at the prices and was leary of items making it home in one piece. Also, everything was very colorful and wouldn't have displayed my glass very well.

I just typed a review. I'm going to post it tonight after I proofread it.

I really love the suggestion of the picture frames!!! we go in October and I was kind of looking to do something like this and maybe shop the dockyard on the day the ship departs at 1:00 because we didnt want to go off too far.

Kelly, yes the things are pricey and you're right, the sea glass would not look right in one of the bowls since they are a work of art themselves. I have my glass in plain glass bowls. I finally broke down and bought a piece last year, an angel fish, and it looks much prettier on it's own when it's not with a bunch of other pieces.

Hi Kelj,

Err, you were on the wrong path. My route is on the road.

What you managed to do is get onto the nasty little footpath that hugs the shore through the trees. Thank you for bringing this up so others don't get caught the same way!

Have Fun!

That's exactly what we did. We were following someone else's directions. I actually think our way is a little shorter...though not appealing to the eye. A lot of garbage can be seen from the stairs and the beach.

Hi All,

Following the unbelievably huge success of my original post about the Dockyard Walking Adventure with Sea Glass, but spotting that most people ONLY want to go to the beach, here's an updated post with better pics and a traffic-free route.

This will take about twenty to twenty five minutes to walk.

Dockyard-map-copy.jpg

As you leave the Dockyard, turn left onto Freeport Drive and look at the ship insignias painted on the walls, dating from when the Dockyard was a Navy base.

When you cross the bridge at the exit from the Dockyard area, take the right hand road - Cochrane Road.

Continue down this road. Eventually it turns sharp left and meets back up with the main road, but just before it does, there is a stand of trees with big roots. Take the little road to the right here.

Just a little way along this road is a area of grass on the right with a shelter, table and bench.

The steps down to the beach are here. There are about twenty steps.

Here's the route in pictures...

WALK-PIC.jpg

Happy Sea Glass hunting!

32N64W

thanks so much for posting this! I think we will take a walk down there after we dock. This is our first time to Bermuda and I collect seaglass...I started with some in Grand Turk and would love some from Bermuda too!.

We'd love to go to Seaglass Beach but a 45 minute walk with my 77 yr old mother may be a bit much. Is there a bus that goes nearby that would cut down on the travel time? I'm thinking of heading there our first day (Sunday afternoon). Last time we were in Bermuda we had difficulty with the buses, not knowing you need to ring the bell to let them know you want off! So detailed bus info would be a godsend. Or if we took a taxi, any idea of the cost? Thanks!

Edited by suzieluvscruising

An inbound route #7 bus goes close to it. There are directions and satellite photo in post #2 of this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1350162

In re the buses, when boarding, greet the driver and politely tell him where you want to get off. In getting to the sea glass beach, just tell him you want to get off at the Royal Naval Cemetery. When you look at the satellite photo posted in the above link, you will understand.

Here is the link to a printable pdf version of the bus schedules: http://www.rccbermuda.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule11.pdf

A taxi would be a little less than $10.00, 1 to 4 passengers, weekday travel, Sunday there is a 25% surcharge.

SBtS

Hi Sailbad and NJ,

Thanks guys, I knew I could rely on you two to come up with the correct transport information.

What do you do - study the bus and ferry schedules as light reading in the bathroom?

Have Fun!

Hi Sailbad and NJ,

Thanks guys, I knew I could rely on you two to come up with the correct transport information.

What do you do - study the bus and ferry schedules as light reading in the bathroom?

Have Fun!

That is hilarious! I have been thinking the same thing!!!!!!!!

It is so calm there...we saw brain coral, fan coral, schools of fish.....it was an added bonus...

We skipped it this visit....in April we walked from Dockyard to Ft. Scauer...yes we were insane!

Went back on our 3rd day...got an elusive blue piece there and also at Alexandria Bay Battery and gave it to a newlywed...who couldn't find any....

bernadette

It is so calm there...we saw brain coral, fan coral, schools of fish.....it was an added bonus...

We skipped it this visit....in April we walked from Dockyard to Ft. Scauer...yes we were insane!

Went back on our 3rd day...got an elusive blue piece there and also at Alexandria Bay Battery and gave it to a newlywed...who couldn't find any....

bernadette

Thanks for the idea!

This might sound like a silly question, but...when does it get dark in October...generally what time? I want to go to seaglass beach and if we have enough daylight, snorkel there. If not then just get the seaglass. I found some blues in Grand Turk..my prize findings!

Edited to add we arrive at Kings Wharf at 4pm. I can head straight to seaglass beach from the ship.

Edited by jrmende63

Hi Sailbad and NJ,

Have Fun!

The bus schedule is easy...it hasn't changed since 2002. ;)

Sunset on 10/1 is 19:03 hrs

Sunset on 10/31 is 18:29 hrs

If you want to see each day's sunset for the entire month, go here: http://timezoneguide.com/sunrise-sunset-Bermuda.html?month=10&year=2011

To convert to civilian times subtract 12:00

SBtS

Thank you so much. I know I will have approx 3 hours to find seaglass and snorkel !

rikatine asked: ....how much time to put aside for this walk. Is morning or afternoon better?....

The distance is about 1.2 miles from the wharves' ramp to the sea glass beach. I would guesstimate the walking time each way to be 45 minutes. I would do the walk in the morning before the afternoon heat arrives.

SBtS

rikatine asked: ....how much time to put aside for this walk. Is morning or afternoon better?....

The distance is about 1.2 miles from the wharves' ramp to the sea glass beach. I would guesstimate the walking time each way to be 45 minutes. I would do the walk in the morning before the afternoon heat arrives.

SBtS

Thanks, you read my mind about the pm heat. Appreciate your help. :)

The map of the Dockyard shows 2 taxi stands. One is to the right as you leave the ramp to the wharves. It would be in front of the Bermuda Arts Center. The other to the left is in front of the Clocktower Mall. The one to the right would be closer.

SBtS

Thanks...with my mom (71) me and a few of the kids, I think the taxi would be our best bet. I guess we would have to walk back though...or do you think the taxi would pick us up in say like an hour or so???