Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

32N64W

Bumping this up.

Does anyone know the answer to the question about scooters? Is there an area for parking right at the seaglass beach? Sounds like people will be walking there but we will be on scooters and this might be a quick and easy ride.

Thank you.

If it is not Black Bay that it would be the beach just northeast of BB.

SBtS

Thank you. I am thinking that Black Bay this the beach across from the cemetary. I saw picnic tables and a small beach area. It was just down the street from sea glass but I may have the name of this place wrong. It had a sign though.

Thank you for the detailed directions, they were perfect, and we met the man with the boat that everyone speaks of, very nice. Although positively littered with other junk that looks like it was also washed ashore, the sea glass was amazing and we were the only ones there. We left with 3 ziplocks full of glass. My son wanted to take home a jet ski that washed up... LOL

We decided with all the garbage that was washed up here it must have something to do with the currents and tides, as well as what used to be dumped in a specific spot, which is what someone mentioned here.

Thank you for the detailed directions, they were perfect, and we met the man with the boat that everyone speaks of, very nice. Although positively littered with other junk that looks like it was also washed ashore, the sea glass was amazing and we were the only ones there. We left with 3 ziplocks full of glass. My son wanted to take home a jet ski that washed up... LOL

We decided with all the garbage that was washed up here it must have something to do with the currents and tides, as well as what used to be dumped in a specific spot, which is what someone mentioned here.

We saw the Jet Ski too! I did not see a lot of trash at the beach on the day we were there (8/12). We have lots of sea glass too!

mdtcoll asked: ...Is it (referring to the sea glass beach near the Dockyard) on the bus route?...

Yes, it is on the #7 or #8 bus route . There are directions to go by bus as well as a satellite picture in post #2 of this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1350162

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of searching I found this reply by CC member bdaguy from 7/27/07. The answer is in the second paragraph; the first is background.

.... this is a very basic explanation of where Bermuda beach sand comes from. To make pink Bermuda beach sand you need all of the following - parrot fish, sea cucumbers, live coral reef, red foraminifera (foram for short). Starting with coral - parrot fish clean excess algae off of the coral reef. When they scrape the algae off, they tend to bite off little chunks of the reef as well. The parrot fish, so called because of its bright colors and beak-like mouth, digests it all and the coral is passed out of the fish as brand new white sand. The average parrot fish can make up to one ton of sand per year! While the parrot fish is busy making sand, another creature called the red foram is busy dying and falling from its perch on the underside of the reef to the sandy bottom. This red seashell structure then mixes with the sand and through wave action it along with the sand is ground into ever finer particles. But wait! Everything in the sea will have green stuff growing on it sooner or later, right? Yes it will, and it's up to the lowly sea cucumber to clean house. Basically a very slowly moving digestive tract, the sea cucumber ingests sand, digesting all the organic matter off it (ie algae) then passing clean sand. This is what eventually ends up on the beach as pink sand!

now we've gotten that outta the way

Some beaches have more wave/current action than others. this causes the sand to grind on itself, making ever finer particles. anything else caught up in this "paperless sandpaper" action will be worn down as well. this include sea glass and sea shells. this explains the low occurrence of shells on the beach. So, if you go out to the reefs, you'll find more shells

make sense?

from CC member Pleiades 7/23/07:

The south shore beaches are very exposed to the waves and are not close to any suitable habitats for the shelled creatures. Shells can be found if you go diving in the right places, but they are still not as common as they are in some of the other islands. If I can’t find a better answer in the books I have on the boat, I’ll give one of our local marine biologist friends a call

Isn't Google wonderful?

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This sounds like something I should do.

We only have 1-1/2 day in Bermuda and I'm planning a full day on the 19th of bus, ferry, walking, eating, beach, etc.

If the weather is nice, I may walk down there on Thursday morning. We sail at noon, so I'd have to leave fairly early.

I'm hoping someone will say that there should be no problems for a solo female walking along the road on a Thursday morning?

Or do you think I should buy a 2-day transportation pass instead and just take the #7 bus?

BTW, I'm pushing 60, so it's not like I'm some hot chick strolling along to tempt anyone! :p

You could take the bus to the sea glass beach. There are directions and a satellite photo in post #2 of this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1350162

You mentioned taking an early bus. The first route #7 bus leaves the Dockyard at 8:20am; not my idea of early. The first route #8 bus leaves at 6:35am and 30 minutes there after.

As for buying a 2 day bus pass instead of a 1 day bus pass. Unless you will be using the bus other than using it to go to the sea glass beach, I would buy the 1 day bus pass and buy 2 3 zone tokens at $2.50 each.

Since I am neither a resident or a women and have no experience to offer but from what others have posted, it is safe to walk.

SBtS

Well, "early" may also depend on how much time I spend at the Frog and Onion on Wednesday night! I may still be trying to find my way back to the ship at 8:20 Thursday morning.

A brisk, early morning walk may be just what I need. Of course, I may have to have a Bloody Mary to get my courage up. :p

I expect to be visiting Bermuda in May of 2012, and have an interest in going to the SeaGlass beach area. Have been keeping up with this thread, and thank you very much for it!

Although I am nearing 70, I want to rent a scooter to see the islands, figured I would watch some videos to get a feel for this and discovered one that appears to go right past the area you are talking about. Ride Around Bermuda 4 of 4, posted by atdoughboy. The area in question appears around the 3:00 minute mark and lasts for about 30 seconds. You will see the cemetery on the right, and four blue/green houses on the left.

Maybe someone will watch this video and tell me if I am correct, that is where I will find the enterance to the beach?