Help me decide on a ship!!

I am wanting to go on my very first cruise next year. We are pretty flexible about when we will travel, but thinking early spring because of the lower prices. It will be me and my husband, plus 4 children ages 11, 9, 7 & 4. I am wondering which Royal Caribbean ship you would recommend the most. I think Oasis & Allure would be great, but the prices are too high for that many of us. What would your other recommendations be? I am liking Liberty and Freedom, but if there are others I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks!

I would definitely tell you to go on the newest class of ship as possible. If you can do Oasis class, choose the Allure. If you can't do the Oasis class, any of the Freedom will do, specially Liberty and Freedom because of their Dreamworks activities for the younger kids, and even adults enjoy it! If you cant do the Oasis or Freedom class, in the Voyager class I would go for Mariner or Navigator because those have enlarged teen and kids areas compared to the rest of Voyager class ships.

All of the ships above will/are great for adults. The Solarium on the Oasis class is HUGE! All these ships have nightclubs and great lounges and great activities for adults like the quest. When choosing a Royal Caribbean vacation, you can't go wrong in any way.;)

I haven't been on a Oasis or Freedom class yet. But I've heard that the Oasis class ships are more "hotel" like and not "ship" like.

So maybe you might want to consider going on a smaller class such as a voyager or radiance class ship for your first cruise.

I am wanting to go on my very first cruise next year. We are pretty flexible about when we will travel, but thinking early spring because of the lower prices. It will be me and my husband, plus 4 children ages 11, 9, 7 & 4. I am wondering which Royal Caribbean ship you would recommend the most. I think Oasis & Allure would be great, but the prices are too high for that many of us. What would your other recommendations be? I am liking Liberty and Freedom, but if there are others I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks!

Do you have calendar considerations? School vacations? Prices are lower in late September-October and between Thanksgiving and mid-December, lower than they are in the spring. They dip again in early May.

Do you have calendar considerations? School vacations? Prices are lower in late September-October and between Thanksgiving and mid-December, lower than they are in the spring. They dip again in early May.

We are going to Disneyworld next December (2012) so we want to go on the cruise earlier in the year to keep them separated a little. We are willing to take our kids out of school to go on vacation. They are young enough to get away with it still.

I have always given strong consideration to the itinerary. I am also looking for value. It has made most choices of ship very easy. I have been on small and large ships and have loved every one. Given your budget and the ages of the kids, I agree that either a Freedom class or Voyager class would be good choices. Look at these, pick the best value and itinerary and you will have a great time.

We are going to Disneyworld next December (2012) so we want to go on the cruise earlier in the year to keep them separated a little. We are willing to take our kids out of school to go on vacation. They are young enough to get away with it still.

Where are you? (are there any embarkation ports that you could drive to?) Airfare for six adds up fast, regardless of the timing.

With those ages, I would suggest either a Voyager class or a Freedom class ship.

If you are near Baltimore, they would enjoy the Enchantment, too. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the aforementioned ships, but it has some very cool pool deck features that the kids would like, plus the bungee trampoline.

Where are you? (are there any embarkation ports that you could drive to?) Airfare for six adds up fast, regardless of the timing.

With those ages, I would suggest either a Voyager class or a Freedom class ship.

If you are near Baltimore, they would enjoy the Enchantment, too. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the aforementioned ships, but it has some very cool pool deck features that the kids would like, plus the bungee trampoline.

We are in Utah. I will have rapid rewards credits to fly us to Florida, so the flights will be free. There are no ports anywhere close to us.

We are in Utah. I will have rapid rewards credits to fly us to Florida, so the flights will be free. There are no ports anywhere close to us.

This is like pulling teeth!

You have shared nothing about your budget, your tastes, your preferences.

Do you want an interior? A balcony?

Here is one suggestion:

Liberty of the Seas, Saturday, February 18 - Thursday, February 23, 5 nights to Belize & Cozumel.

Connecting oceanview cabins, both have two beds on the floor and two pullman berths, or bunk beds.

Cabins 3622 & 3624 are currently available.

You can sleep two parents in one cabin, leave the connecting door open, and put the four kids in the connecting cabin, little ones on the bottom and older kids on the top.

Total for six passengers: $4,482.28.

I think Oasis & Allure would be great, but the prices are too high for that many of us. What would your other recommendations be? I am liking Liberty and Freedom, but if there are others I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks!

Oasis class ships are phenomenal. It's worth trying at least once. If you can budget for a vacation on the Oasis class ships, do it!!!!

The Freedom class ships are also fabulous. Your family will have a great time on either ship.

I've sailed on both class of ships in the past. They're both huge and offer a ton of things to do.

I wouldnt recommend taking your first cruise on Oasis/Allure. These ships are too overwhelming for a first time cruiser. (This is our 11th cruise, and we're feeling overwhelmed by Allure).

Start smaller and work your way up. (Those "smaller" ships are still very large with lots of amenities)

Voyager class ships are wonderful, and so are Freedom class ships. They are basically the same, except Freedom is longer, and Freedom has the flowrider.

I would recommend Adventure (Southern Caribbean out of San Juan) unless you must sail out of Florida due to flights. Freedom is a great option out of Port Canaveral.

I think the main point is that you can't go wrong whatever you choose.

Here is another option to consider..... 7 Night Cruise(Western Itinerary)

2 adjoining Balcony Cabins on Mariner of the Seas from Galeveston, shorter plane ride from Utah.

Itinerary is Western which has alot of family water excursions, Ports are Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Falmouth(Jamaica)

Date is February 5, 2012, nice time to get out of Utah, do fly down a day ahead of the cruise though to avoid weather delays.

Cost for 2 adjoining Category D1 cabins is $4922.38

Cabin # 1670 4 people....$2754.92

Cabin # 1672 2 People....$2167.46

Don't wait long though, adjoining cabins with this kind of availability during school breaks are hard to find, remember you aren't the only one looking at this post.

Good Luck

Jimbo:)

Here is another option to consider..... 7 Night Cruise(Western Itinerary)

2 adjoining Balcony Cabins on Mariner of the Seas from Galeveston, shorter plane ride from Utah.

Itinerary is Western which has alot of family water excursions, Ports are Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Falmouth(Jamaica)

Date is February 5, 2012, nice time to get out of Utah, do fly down a day ahead of the cruise though to avoid weather delays.

Cost for 2 adjoining Category D1 cabins is $4922.38

Cabin # 1670 4 people....$2754.92

Cabin # 1672 2 People....$2167.46

Don't wait long though, adjoining cabins with this kind of availability during school breaks are hard to find, remember you aren't the only one looking at this post.

Good Luck

Jimbo:)

This sounds like a good option. It's a nice ship that will not overwhelm your senses but has a good mix of activities and features for everyone and as Jimbo points out a shorter flight from Utah. Seeing as you are going to use your Rapid Rewards points just fly into Houston's Hobby Airport airport code (HOU).

Thanks!

Freedom, than maybe try Oasis later date.

Without knowing more about you (budget, travel weeks, etc), I'm going to keep simple. First choice: Freedom class for all the bells and whistles. Second choice: Voyager class for all the bells and whistles minus a few.

It seems to me that Oasis and Allure is just too pricey right now ESPECIALLY for a large family. Freedom has some great rates and is a wonderful ship. You can't go wrong with them. If you want to save some money and plan on a balcony...get one balcony and go across the hallway and get one promenade room. You'll have the best of both worlds as well as save a little money on the promenade room. Have a great time.

Archived