Cruising from NOLA while on parole?

Grits53

DS's friend wants to cruise with us.....a 4 day on Carnival out of NOLA, which only goes to Cozumel. The friend has served time and is currently on parole, but his parole officer has given him permission to cruise. He is a good boy who made a mistake and has paid his debt to society. We would like to take him on this cruise. His parole period will end the month following the cruise. Will there be an issue with this during embarkation or debarkation? Will he need some kind of paperwork from the parole officer? I don't want to be caught in the middle of a problem and would like to know if anyone else has cruised while on parole and what their experience was. Thanks.

The two places his status is going to show up is when the ship submits names for departure clearance and clearing customs returning. I think a letter from his parole officer would be a good idea, just in case.

Enjoy your trip.

I would call the cruiseline and ask. Then 8 hours later I would call back and ask again. It's an important issue that the cruiseline should be answering for you. And given the poor training that goes with modern business, I'd want to hear the answer more then once from different "experts" in the call center.

Good luck!

All parole systems have procedures for this and a request for written travel permission documentation is part of it. It is not something a parolee has to request, it is required as part of the supervision. Travel outside of the country is very restrictive. It might be a good idea to check with the parole officer yourself. I know you have trust, but still I would be very cautious on this.

Here again, I just have to say (forgive me for sounding like a broken record):

A cruise information board is not the appropriate forum for seeking legal advice. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the warning, but I was aware of this. ;) You can get very valuable, accurate info from CC, but you can also get totally false info. I usually take the consensus of opinion on any subject. But I do appreciate your post.

I would also expect, even though the parole officer is an officer of the court, that a court order signed by a judge would be necessary.

Have your friend talk some more to the Parole Officer.

He just needs to submit a written request to his parole officer. His parole officer might instruct him to then submit a written request to the judge that sentenced him. It's unlikely that he'll be denied if he's met all his parole requirements.

There's not a list of all the parolees in America that the airlines and cruiselines consult to deny travel. Parolees travel outside their approved region all the time and rarely get caught unless they get arrested for something else or they get a notice to report to their parole officer and they miss it. Not that I would ever recommend that of course.

How old is this person? If he's old enough to go to to prison then he's old enough to ask for the relevant paperwork from his parole officer and from the cruiseline to get his ducks in a row before he cruises (or not). It's up to him to sort this out, not you.

How old is this person? If he's old enough to go to to prison then he's old enough to ask for the relevant paperwork from his parole officer and from the cruiseline to get his ducks in a row before he cruises (or not). It's up to him to sort this out, not you.

Not that its any of your business but Grits is the one who is going to do the planning, so of course its her business to make sure they dont get to the port and there is a problem.

Thanks for the warning, but I was aware of this. ;) You can get very valuable, accurate info from CC, but you can also get totally false info. I usually take the consensus of opinion on any subject. But I do appreciate your post.

Even if the "consensus" you usually take is 100%, Cruise Critic is not the place to get legal advice -- nor, for that matte, is the cruise line. If you are on parole, the terms of your parole should make it clear what limitations may have been placed upon your movements. If it is not clear, you should check with your parole officer - and, if he/she cannot give a definitive answer, the judge in your case is the next source.

On the other hand, you can just wing it.

Even if the "consensus" you usually take is 100%, Cruise Critic is not the place to get legal advice -- nor, for that matte, is the cruise line. If you are on parole, the terms of your parole should make it clear what limitations may have been placed upon your movements. If it is not clear, you should check with your parole officer - and, if he/she cannot give a definitive answer, the judge in your case is the next source.

On the other hand, you can just wing it.

My son's friend is in his 30's, which is still a "boy" to me. I am not looking for legal advice. "I" am not on parole, have never been on parole, nor will I ever be. "I" do not have a judge in this case, nor have I ever had a judge in any case. Therefore, this is foreign territory to me. Since I am paying for this cruise, I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be a problem for him to go. Plus, I don't want to be in the middle of a "situation" at the port with him. What I was thinking was that even though the parole officer gave him permission to go, that it might pop up on the computer that he is on parole, and then there would be a lengthy and embarassing situation for all of us as he went through the process of proof that he has permission. There are people here on CC who have experienced things such as this and who can offer input. Some have, and I do appreciate it.

Not that its any of your business but Grits is the one who is going to do the planning, so of course its her business to make sure they dont get to the port and there is a problem.

Thanks, Fire. :)

Well it IS my business since you asked the question on a public internet forum.

To clarify - any "situation" on departure could have been avoided by a 30yr old taking responsibility for his own travel permissions instead of relying on you to do it for him. All he has to do is get something in writing from his parole officer If you try to do it they probably won't discuss the matter with you anyway due to "privacy" regulations. I know you are only trying to be helpful and in your shoes I'd want reassurance that there wasn't going to be a last minute problem but seriously, he's a big boy now so tell him your concerns and ask him to sort it out.

Archived