I-phone question

hockeygal54

Ok all you tech-savvy folks out there....I am the proud owner of an I-phone 4 and want to know if I can turn off the data while on boat and in Canadian ports? Want to use some of the apps and of course my i-pod feature but not incur roaming or data charges! Someone told me all you had to do was switch to airplane mode but don't know that's all there is to it. In the past I had a blackberry and turned it off AND took battery out, and used my touch if I wanted music to walk with etc. but surely there is a way to not get data.

I have used the airplane mode feature on my last 2 cruises with my iphone with no issues. I was able to use my apps (that's didn't connect to the internet) as well as my clock, etc. I did not incur any fees. This also keeps phone calls or texts from coming in so you don't get billed for anything "incoming".

In addition, I'd recommend you look at your settings and ensure "international data roaming" is turned to "off" or "disabled" (I'd look but my phone is syncing right now). Anyway, this will ensure if you turn it on at port that it doesn't accidentally use the intl. roaming for data which could be very expensive.

I've had good luck in ports using wifi. As long as you're using wifi (not from the ship) you will not be billed. From the ship, you'll be billed!

not sure if you can do this on the iphone, but it something that can be done on other phones:

take out of your sim card which will prevent the phone from connecting to any kind of service..allowing to you to use the phone for anything you want

Airplane mode works well and easier than taking the sim out of the phone.

For an iphone to ensure international roaming is off, do the following:

Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming (I thought it was Intl, roaming, but the only need to turn it off is for international purposes). The option is "off" or "on", Mine stays "off" all the time as I shouldn't be in roaming in the US anyway. I did once in Iowa get a message I needed to turn it on but would be charged. I kept it off...

Like I mentioned, Airline Mode should prevent anything from coming or going. I just like to set that off to safeguard myself if I turn my it off at port to make sure I don't get any data charges where I'm not covered.

Ok all you tech-savvy folks out there....I am the proud owner of an I-phone 4 and want to know if I can turn off the data while on boat and in Canadian ports? Want to use some of the apps and of course my i-pod feature but not incur roaming or data charges! Someone told me all you had to do was switch to airplane mode but don't know that's all there is to it. In the past I had a blackberry and turned it off AND took battery out, and used my touch if I wanted music to walk with etc. but surely there is a way to not get data.

Airplane mode is fine and easy to do.

Your iPod features will work.

Just want you to know that those apps that rely on communications would not work. Some will and some won't. Also be sure that roaming is off. It wouldn't work in airplane mode but good to do anyway.

Go to settings which you would do to turn on airplane mode anyway but also click on general, then click on network, and then make sure data roaming is off.

Keith

If you turn on aeroplane mode, you can't receive any text messages (which are free to receive). Just go into settings and turn off "cellular data". If you are not sure how to do it, just go into any phone shop and they will teach you how to do it.

I use the airplane mode on my phone and haven't had any issues. My DH always buys an international plan for his phone when we cruise. He's self employed and sometimes needs to use his phone, even when we're on vacation.

When you are on land again, in US port for example, you can turn data back on, turn airplane mode off and check stuff/delete etc., correct? Guess a trip to the Verizon store is in order, altho the last time I had this discussion with one of them about AK they weren't the brightest bulbs in the box! :confused:

When you are on land again, in US port for example, you can turn data back on, turn airplane mode off and check stuff/delete etc., correct? Guess a trip to the Verizon store is in order, altho the last time I had this discussion with one of them about AK they weren't the brightest bulbs in the box! :confused:

Yes, you can easily turn it off.

You really don't need to go to the store.

Just click on settings.

look up top and it shows airplane mode. it shows off. to make it go on click the off button and it will be on. at that point you can't make or receive calls. then to turn it back off just hit the on button and then the off button appears.

Now for data roaming.

from the main menu click settings.

then click general.

then click network

then make sure the data roaming button shows off. if it shows on then click the on and it will be off. I just leave it this way all the time even when in the usa and everything works fine.

Keith

Airplane mode works great for us. When in port, we find a wi-fi signal to check emails or make calls through Skype. Our first two cruises we came back to extremely high bills, which we disputed and won, but airplane mode lets us control when and what we do with one flick of the finger!!!

I am a Canadian who recently used my Iphone in California. I did not want to incur any roaming charges. I just went to settings and turned Airplane mode ON. I used my phone for a week anywhere that had WIFI - sent text messages, retrieved email and sent email - checked websites and that the plane was on time. It was GREAT!!! The longer I have the phone the more uses I find for it.

Good Luck!!

Archived