Can I bring a suitcase-sized gas scooter?

Saw a Di Blasi folding motor scooter on Craigslist. Immediately wondered if I could take it on a cruise ship, since it folds to the size of a large-ish suitcase (it doesn't leak fuel even stored on its side). I did some googling, couldn't find where anyone tried this before.

Here's the site: http://www.diblasi.com/home.htm

It'd be awesome to walk off the ship with a road legal scooter and just start scooting around.

Saw a Di Blasi folding motor scooter on Craigslist. Immediately wondered if I could take it on a cruise ship, since it folds to the size of a large-ish suitcase (it doesn't leak fuel even stored on its side). I did some googling, couldn't find where anyone tried this before.

Here's the site: http://www.diblasi.com/home.htm

It'd be awesome to walk off the ship with a road legal scooter and just start scooting around.

No. Read all the fine print in your cruise documents, or on line at your cruise site. They don't even allow bicycles.

No. Read all the fine print in your cruise documents, or on line at your cruise site. They don't even allow bicycles.

I have. Folding bikes seem to be acceptable (at the very least, they are/were on Carnival). The issue seems to be more with the size...a non-folding bike takes up too much space. A folding one that fits through an X-Ray scanner is acceptable. I am trying to find some fine-print that deals with exactly what is and is not ok.

This is the only relevant fine-print I've come across:

Carnival - http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=luggagerestrictions

"Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded"

"Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions)."

Celebrity - http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do?pagename=packing

Under the not-allowed section is this:

"Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks."

The scooter weighs 65 pounds, though I'm sure many people bring on luggage weighing more than 50 pounds. Size wise it's fine (believe it or not). I think the only questionable part would be the gasoline; it would be sealed, but is that good enough for carnival? Perhaps simply drain it out before taking onboard, then push it to a gas station when you go into port?

Or perhaps they could store it somewhere between ports. I know that Royal Caribbean does motorcycle cruises...if they can store a large number of motorcycles, maybe they can store a suitcase?

No biggy either way...just sounded cool.

They will not allow you to bring gasoline, even inside the scooter, onto the ship. That is definitely a flamable liquid and it is banned. The same if you are flying to your embarkation port, the airlines will not allow it even if packed in the suitcase.

Generally cruise out of Florida, and have always driven down. The cost for a family of four to fly...plus all the extra luggage fees (if we camp in Disney before/after)...can't afford to fly!

Hrm...I could just ride one of these straight to the cruise terminal, and then do donuts in the parking lot. When questioned, simply explain that it has to run out of gas before I can take it on the ship. :)

Because the ship is licensed to carry passengers, the only way around the US regulations, and the SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea) international regulations would be to remove both the engine, the fuel tank, and any fuel lines, and leave them behind at the port. But still not sure if they would allow it then.

Sorry.

Space isn't an issue...unless they are lying about their own luggage requirements. Again, this is from Carnival:

"Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions)."

These are the dimensions of the scooter when folded up:

Length............................................................29 1/2"

Height...................................................................23"

Width..............................................................12 1/2"

Royal Caribbean takes entire motorcycles (on themed cruises). They required that the tank be at or below 1/8 full...I've seen similar requirements on the Alaska ferries.

Maybe I'll email a few and see what they say. Or just keep renting scooters in port.

• 4 months later...

hey Circuitrider,

What did you find out about this? I'm thinking of buying a pair of folding bicycles to take with us on Princess in 2 weeks. Will call Princess to get an answer instead of reading through all the boring fine print. These Schwinn 20" bikes weigh less than 40#, although the bag that comes with them is pretty flimsy and the crew might have to deliver them to the room unwrapped.

This is the only relevant fine-print I've come across:

Carnival - http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=luggagerestrictions

"Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded"

Celebrity - http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do?pagename=packing

Under the not-allowed section is this:

"Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks."

The scooter weighs 65 pounds, though I'm sure many people bring on luggage weighing more than 50 pounds. Size wise it's fine (believe it or not). I think the only questionable part would be the gasoline; it would be sealed, but is that good enough for carnival? Perhaps simply drain it out before taking onboard, then push it to a gas station when you go into port?

Or perhaps they could store it somewhere between ports. I know that Royal Caribbean does motorcycle cruises...if they can store a large number of motorcycles, maybe they can store a suitcase?

No biggy either way...just sounded cool.

A container, that has been used for gasoline or other flammable liquids, then emptied is very explosive, due to the vapour and fumes.

Cato

Completed Cruises !

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

# 18, Island Princess, 10 day Alaska Cruise Tour # AA3, 06 June, 2012, Vancouver return.

# 19 & 20 Emerald Princess, B2B, 10 Sep. 2012, Copenhagen-New York/New York- Quebec City

We were on RCI Freedom of the Seas 3 years ago in the Carribean and every morning when we docked about 100 Harley motorbikes were pushed off the ship by their owners, what a site and noise when the all started their engines and rode off for the day.

Generally cruise out of Florida, and have always driven down. The cost for a family of four to fly...plus all the extra luggage fees (if we camp in Disney before/after)...can't afford to fly!

Hrm...I could just ride one of these straight to the cruise terminal, and then do donuts in the parking lot. When questioned, simply explain that it has to run out of gas before I can take it on the ship. :)

I've GOT to see you and your family of four on that scooter! :cool:

Archived