Independent tours vs Oceania sponsored tours

My 28 year old daughter and I will be sailing on 10/15 on the Insignia from Istanbul to Barcelona. I have taken lots of books from the library to research potential excursions in Istanbul, Philippi, Ephesus, Rhodes, Santorini, Taormina, Amalfi, Rome (Civitavecchia), Florence (Livorno), Monte Carlo, Marseille, and Barcelona. We are adventurous and enjoy experienceing a location rather than trying to see everything. I welcome any recommendations that you might have on using local transportation, hiring your own driver, or taking one of Oceania's tours.

We are planning to take the train to Cinque Terra on the 1st day that we're docked in Livorno and want to spend the 2nd day in Florence visiting the Academia Museum in Florence. Rick Steves mentioned that some people have had difficulty making reservations for the Academia in advance.

Bonnie

My 28 year old daughter and I will be sailing on 10/15 on the Insignia from Istanbul to Barcelona. I have taken lots of books from the library to research potential excursions in Istanbul, Philippi, Ephesus, Rhodes, Santorini, Taormina, Amalfi, Rome (Civitavecchia), Florence (Livorno), Monte Carlo, Marseille, and Barcelona. We are adventurous and enjoy experienceing a location rather than trying to see everything. I welcome any recommendations that you might have on using local transportation, hiring your own driver, or taking one of Oceania's tours.

We are planning to take the train to Cinque Terra on the 1st day that we're docked in Livorno and want to spend the 2nd day in Florence visiting the Academia Museum in Florence. Rick Steves mentioned that some people have had difficulty making reservations for the Academia in advance.

Bonnie

You definitely want to get your tickets online for Accademia, otherwise you may end up spending precious time waiting in long lines. For our April visit, we purchased our tickets online weeks before our cruise and walked right in with no wait at all.

We also stopped in Monte Carlo and used Dream Tours to see Eze, Nice, St. Paul de Vence. It was a wonderful tour and very reasonably priced per person when you have a group. (I noticed you have tried to garner interest in tours via your Roll Call; perhaps you could get a group together in your Roll Call to make the costs of private tours practical.)

We never did take any of Oceania's excursions since our Roll Call was very active and we met wonderful folks to share private tours with.

I hope you have a great cruise.

We found Rhodes, Santorini, and Barcelona very esy to tour on our own.

We hired Giaovanni from http://www.tourofitaly.com for a day along the Amlafi Coast, which was wonderful. We shared the van with a couple we "met" on the Roll Call and another we met on the ship, which made it very reasonably priced.

+1 - best tour we had on our most recent trip was with Dream Tours. We visited Eze, St. Paul De Vence and Tourrettes-sur-Loup

We also stopped in Monte Carlo and used Dream Tours to see Eze, Nice, St. Paul de Vence. It was a wonderful tour and very reasonably priced per person when you have a group.

Bonnie

Bonnie,

I will just add a few notes here...

First, in general, there is no right or wrong way to visit any port...Shore excursions, private tours and "on your own" all have advantages and disadvantages...and different people have different budgets and different objectives in touring...With shore excursions, you deal with a "big bus"--which means slow-moving at times, difficulty with getting close enough to your guide at times and often a higher cost...OTOH, you get the ease and convenience of having the cruise line do everything for you. With private tours, you have either a very high cost if you go it alone or the issues of finding a compatable group if you join with others...and one of you has to find a reliable guide and make all of the arrangements...but, a group of 6-10 people often make the cost reasonable and makes for an easier, more worthwhile tour. Doing a port "on your own" becomes easier if the port is closer to the sights, if local transportation is good and dependable or if things are in walking distance...and provided you have done considerable research on the port.

Also, a caveat on Italy: Most of the guides for Italy you see recommended for these boards are NOT licensed as "tour guides"...They are merely "drivers"...Italy has very strict tour guide licensing laws and "Drivers" are not allowed to accompany their clients within tourist sites...they may only give commentary while in the vehicle. This is one reason that the drivers always push the "Amalfi Coast" tour in Naples or Amalfi or other nearby ports--it is mostly a driving tour. I think Pompeii is the one "must see" spot in this region, but the driver cannot accompany you onto the site--so, if you want a tour of Pompeii, you mkust hire an additional licensed guide. Same with the Vatican in Rome and other important sites.

That said, here is my quick take on some of your ports:

Istanbul: We have been here a couple of times of late--either for an extended pre-cruise or post cruise. We have used a couple of guides/tour companies and have also booked tours through the kiosk across from the front of the Hagia Sophia. If you have just one day, I would contact Ekol Travel to arrange a tour. The main sights are fairly close together in the Sultanahmet District,. so they can be seen on one's own, but we found a tour guide to be invaluable and well worth the money.

Ephesus: Both times we visited, we booked a tour through Ekol. The price, even for a private tour for two was far cheaper than any of Oceania's shore excursions. If you have a long day in port, get a tour to Miletus, Didyma and Ephesus. If a shorter day, stick to Ephesus and the Terrace Houses.

Rhodes: The ships dock right outside the main gate of the wallsed city, so you can see it on your own, We did a half day tour to Lindos which we found largely unsatisfying...Rhodes itself is fascinating enough.

Santorini: A wonderful port. We've been a few times. We've done shore excursions and have rented a car and have taken public buses. The buses are an adventure (we went to Oia and back--which is okay). We actually enjoyed a shore excursion--which took us all over the island--to a winery, a view point, etc. Renting a car on the island was an adventure, but gave us the most freedom--we drove to Ancient Fira--NOT the world's easiest drive--hairpin turns, one lane for both directions--scary and dangerous...but great views...and we were able to explore the back side of the island with the black sand beaches.

Taormina: Oceania docked in Naxos, a bit away from either Taormina or Mt. Etna...If you can't hook onto a private tour (private guides are expensive here), I'd just go with a shorex.

Amalfi: See above. We've taken a shore excursion here to see Pompeii and have also gone with a private guide--Salvatore of DriveAmalfi. Both made for a nice day...but I really think Pompeii is the highlight. Best of both worlds is to hire a private driver for a half day on the Amalfi Coast and half in Pompeii with an added tour guide for that segment.

Rome (Civitavecchia): The port is far from Rome itself. I really prefer a tour of some sort because there is so much to see. Big bus tours have an added disadvantage--they are forced to take a longer more trafficked road--which you can get a round with a smaller vehicle--as we did with a group of 11 in a minibus. Remember, additional licensed guides are needed for the Vatican and other sights. If you really don't need to see "everything", a shore excursion has its advantages. See if Oceania is offering one of its smaller group tours.

Florence (Livorno): We've seen a lot of Florence before, so on cruises, we have opted for other placves in the region--note that Florence is a long drive from the port. We've dione a shore excursion to San Gimignano and Volterra from here and loved it. When we visit on the MArina next month, we've opted for a shore excursion to Puccini, Lucca and Pisa...

Monte Carlo: I will second Dream Tours (I've dealt with Alain there and found him to be very good). This visit, we just hooked on to a tour someone else on our roll call arranged. If all you want to see is Monte Carlo itself, you can do it easily on your own--but we enjoy other places in the region.

Marseille: I have only gone through Provernce on our own with a rental car, so I'll not give port stop advice here.

Barcelona: End of your cruise? I hope you spend a few days here...If so, just make sure you have a hotel near the Placa Catalunya and explore on your own...The HOHO bus is a good option...and public transportation and walking are easy from the Placa Catalunya...Don't miss all of the Gaudi sites (Especially Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Casa Mila and Casa Batllo)...

Good luck...

We found Rhodes, Santorini, and Barcelona very esy to tour on our own.

We hired Giaovanni from www.tourofitaly.com for a day along the Amlafi Coast, which was wonderful. We shared the van with a couple we "met" on the Roll Call and another we met on the ship, which made it very reasonably priced.

Hi, we're the other couple Andee and Chuck "met" on the Roll Call. We certainly did have a great time touring the Amalfi Coast. Andee hope you are well!! Let me hear from you!! Arlene:)

I would definitely recommend Ekol Tours for Ephesus. We managed to see in one day what it took three tours via Oceania to see. It was more reasonable as well than what the two of us would have had to pay for the ships tour. Make sure you see the ruins and Terrace Houses. House of the Virgin Mary was interesting as well as the church for John the Baptist. Our guide also did our negotiating while we shopped and managed to reduce the price of several of the leather goods we bought. Alex, the guide was very knowledgeable which made for an excellent tour.

Santorini, do it on your own.

Monte Carlo: We did it on our own and then took the train to Nice which we did on our own as well. It was nice just to wander around without having to make any timetables other than our own. The trains run frequently and are very reasonable.

Without being specific to port or guide in general I would only book a ship's tour if there were absolutely no other option. Being packed in a bus with forty other people is not my idea of a good way to see anything. Many times the sights they advertise in the tours are just drive bys. Private tours or walking around on one's won is far superior imo.

Sounds like a wonderful trip--hope you have a good time.

There is some great advice above, but I will throw in my two cents.

Istanbul--Not knocking a guide, but very easy to do yourself. Rick Steeve's guidebook is excellent on the suites and walking tours. People are very friendly and English is widely spoken. The tram runs from the port area and the new city to all of the key spots in the old city.

Kusadasi (Ephesus)--we also used Ekol with excellent results. Another advantage of private tour is large groups are not allowed to tour the Terrace Houses, which you don't want to miss.

Rhodes--definitely do on your own. The old city is right at the dock and easily walkable--well worth the whole day or as long as you can take the heat.

Taormina--if the ship docks at Naxos, it is easy to get a taxi to take you (and perhaps another couple) up to Taormina. Once there, easy to do on your own as it is basically a stroll around and have a drink/lunch type of place.

Monaco--can be done on your own and easy to take train or bus to Nice as noted above. As for guides, we used the wonderful Sylvie de Cristo.

Marseille--we took the train to Arles and explored on our own.

I welcome any recommendations that you might have on using local transportation, hiring your own driver, or taking one of Oceania's tours.

We were in Livorno on May 28 and used Oceania (Florence on your own) for the

bus ride to Florence. It's possible to take the train for quite a bit less than the $125 that Oceania charged, but since it was our first cruise day and we were tired from

the plane ride, the extra expense was worth it. We were lucky in that it was a Saturday, which, according to our guide, cut the travel time from the normal 2 hours to about 90 minutes.

The bus dropped us off at about 10 AM and picked us up at 4 PM, giving us 6

hours to explore Florence.

Since you're going to be there in October, after the major tourist season, I wouldn't worry too much about making advance Academia reservations before you leave. There is an office near the Academia where you can advance tickets which

will avoid waiting on line.

Les

Without being specific to port or guide in general I would only book a ship's tour if there were absolutely no other option. Being packed in a bus with forty other people is not my idea of a good way to see anything. Many times the sights they advertise in the tours are just drive bys. Private tours or walking around on one's won is far superior imo.

I am so with you! Nothing more frustrating than waiting for 15 women to use a single bathroom! Or dealing with a loudmouth on the bus who has been there before. Or a guide who is less than articulate and interesting. Or wanting to stop to see something interesting on the road but it's not on the "itinerary." Or being dragged to touristy shopping venues because the tour operator gets a cut.

If this is your first cruise, you may not feel comfortable booking your own private tours, but by all means hook up with others on the roll call. You will get the benefit of their experience and expertise in researching the best private guides and meet some wonderful people in the process.

...this works well if you can arrange to have a full vehicle for your private tour, but if your extra thrifty like my wife, you won't pay 520 euro's for a private tour to anywhere. Case in point, on our upcoming Insignia cruise this fall, one of the stops is at Monaco, the arranged roll call groups going on private tours are already full and we haven't been able to get extra riders for another, so for our purposes it looks like an Oceania tour is our only option. We have NO interest in walking around Monaco itself but want to head over into France to check things out, we've been told that the local bus can be a bit of a nightmare at times for those unaccustomed. So sometimes one of Oceania's offerings can work out if necessary...

cheers,

the Imagineer

Without being specific to port or guide in general I would only book a ship's tour if there were absolutely no other option. Being packed in a bus with forty other people is not my idea of a good way to see anything. Many times the sights they advertise in the tours are just drive bys. Private tours or walking around on one's won is far superior imo....

I am so with you! Nothing more frustrating than waiting for 15 women to use a single bathroom! Or dealing with a loudmouth on the bus who has been there before. Or a guide who is less than articulate and interesting. Or wanting to stop to see something interesting on the road but it's not on the "itinerary." Or being dragged to touristy shopping venues because the tour operator gets a cut...

Just to be fair here, all of the above is not necessarily entirely true...

Oceania now has some tours that may carry as few as 10 persons. We've aactually been on shorexes with Celebrity with as few as 11 people...Though, of course, most are "big bus" tours...

We have had some private guides (even ones recommended here on Cruise Critic) who were less than "articulate and interesting". We just had a private guide in Warnemunde/Berlin who definitely made our "Bottom two". Sometimes you never know exactly what you are getting with a private tour either.

You can get an obnoxious tour mate on a private tour as well...

We have also had private guides drag us to touristy shopping venues because they get a cut as well...Yes, you might be able to have a little more input in extricating yourself from such situations on a private tour...but it's not always as easy as you think...

Look...I like private tours too...There are lots of advantages MOST OF THE TIME...But it is not an always thing or even necessarily a "far superior" thing...It depends on where, with who and a lot of other variables...

Often there are some advantages to the shore excursions. In many ports, there just aren't a lot of good, recommended private guides. In some ports, private guides are prohibitively expensive. There is the situation regarding licensing in Italy I mentioned before.

And there are some risks. You've got to handle finding and contracting with the guide. You have to hope your tour mates don't flake out on you. You also may be taking your chances with some issues that most people don't check out with their private guides: Insurance? Vehicle maintenance? Safety?

With the shorexes, there are some trade-offs...Oceania (or the other lines) check out their tour providers. They have some influence with these providers. They make certain you get back to the ship on time--or they can hold the ship.

No, you won't see as much as you wait for buses to load and unload...but, you may see enough to make you happy...depends on you.

As to "on your own", there are so many variables here...Most of the people I've ever known to miss the ship were people doing a port on their own...getting lost...misreading the bus or train schedules...misjudging the time to get back to the ship. And most people doing a port on their own manage somehow to see less than those on a shorex--thanks to poor planning and getting lost.

We do ports "on our own" where we really know the port well...I have traveled to Europe quite a bit...I will do Stockholm on my own...and Copenhagen...and Barcelona...Dubrovnik...Corfu...I know those towns well...and how to get around them...I also know Rome quite well--yet I WON'T do Rome on my own...not in a simple port day...with the port an hour from town and sites all over the city...There are towns I will do on my own--mostly where either I know the town or have done considerable research AND where the ship docks close to town...

...and, be aware, even though the ship may dock close to town, sometimes there are things worth seeing in other nearby towns...that may require transportation or a tour...So, plan carefully what it is you want to see...Like Monte Carlo...yes, you CAN see Monte Carlo easily on your own if your ship docks in Monte Carlo...BUT, if you want to visit Eze, St. Paul de Vence, Cannes, Nice or elsewhere, consider a tour...the more places you want to see and the farther afield, the tougher coordination will be...

After numerous Europe trips and Europe cruises...and many private tours, shorexes and ports on my own, I repeat: THERE IS NO HARD AND FAST RULE...

And also, remember, we are all different...Some people are comfortable touring one way, others a different way...Find what works best for YOU...

Thank your for your incredible feedback. I am hoping that more passenges on my cruise communicate on Cruise Critic so that we can take our own excursions.

Bonnie

Bonnie,

I will just add a few notes here...

First, in general, there is no right or wrong way to visit any port...Shore excursions, private tours and "on your own" all have advantages and disadvantages...and different people have different budgets and different objectives in touring...With shore excursions, you deal with a "big bus"--which means slow-moving at times, difficulty with getting close enough to your guide at times and often a higher cost...OTOH, you get the ease and convenience of having the cruise line do everything for you. With private tours, you have either a very high cost if you go it alone or the issues of finding a compatable group if you join with others...and one of you has to find a reliable guide and make all of the arrangements...but, a group of 6-10 people often make the cost reasonable and makes for an easier, more worthwhile tour. Doing a port "on your own" becomes easier if the port is closer to the sights, if local transportation is good and dependable or if things are in walking distance...and provided you have done considerable research on the port.

Also, a caveat on Italy: Most of the guides for Italy you see recommended for these boards are NOT licensed as "tour guides"...They are merely "drivers"...Italy has very strict tour guide licensing laws and "Drivers" are not allowed to accompany their clients within tourist sites...they may only give commentary while in the vehicle. This is one reason that the drivers always push the "Amalfi Coast" tour in Naples or Amalfi or other nearby ports--it is mostly a driving tour. I think Pompeii is the one "must see" spot in this region, but the driver cannot accompany you onto the site--so, if you want a tour of Pompeii, you mkust hire an additional licensed guide. Same with the Vatican in Rome and other important sites.

That said, here is my quick take on some of your ports:

Istanbul: We have been here a couple of times of late--either for an extended pre-cruise or post cruise. We have used a couple of guides/tour companies and have also booked tours through the kiosk across from the front of the Hagia Sophia. If you have just one day, I would contact Ekol Travel to arrange a tour. The main sights are fairly close together in the Sultanahmet District,. so they can be seen on one's own, but we found a tour guide to be invaluable and well worth the money.

Ephesus: Both times we visited, we booked a tour through Ekol. The price, even for a private tour for two was far cheaper than any of Oceania's shore excursions. If you have a long day in port, get a tour to Miletus, Didyma and Ephesus. If a shorter day, stick to Ephesus and the Terrace Houses.

Rhodes: The ships dock right outside the main gate of the wallsed city, so you can see it on your own, We did a half day tour to Lindos which we found largely unsatisfying...Rhodes itself is fascinating enough.

Santorini: A wonderful port. We've been a few times. We've done shore excursions and have rented a car and have taken public buses. The buses are an adventure (we went to Oia and back--which is okay). We actually enjoyed a shore excursion--which took us all over the island--to a winery, a view point, etc. Renting a car on the island was an adventure, but gave us the most freedom--we drove to Ancient Fira--NOT the world's easiest drive--hairpin turns, one lane for both directions--scary and dangerous...but great views...and we were able to explore the back side of the island with the black sand beaches.

Taormina: Oceania docked in Naxos, a bit away from either Taormina or Mt. Etna...If you can't hook onto a private tour (private guides are expensive here), I'd just go with a shorex.

Amalfi: See above. We've taken a shore excursion here to see Pompeii and have also gone with a private guide--Salvatore of DriveAmalfi. Both made for a nice day...but I really think Pompeii is the highlight. Best of both worlds is to hire a private driver for a half day on the Amalfi Coast and half in Pompeii with an added tour guide for that segment.

Rome (Civitavecchia): The port is far from Rome itself. I really prefer a tour of some sort because there is so much to see. Big bus tours have an added disadvantage--they are forced to take a longer more trafficked road--which you can get a round with a smaller vehicle--as we did with a group of 11 in a minibus. Remember, additional licensed guides are needed for the Vatican and other sights. If you really don't need to see "everything", a shore excursion has its advantages. See if Oceania is offering one of its smaller group tours.

Florence (Livorno): We've seen a lot of Florence before, so on cruises, we have opted for other placves in the region--note that Florence is a long drive from the port. We've dione a shore excursion to San Gimignano and Volterra from here and loved it. When we visit on the MArina next month, we've opted for a shore excursion to Puccini, Lucca and Pisa...

Monte Carlo: I will second Dream Tours (I've dealt with Alain there and found him to be very good). This visit, we just hooked on to a tour someone else on our roll call arranged. If all you want to see is Monte Carlo itself, you can do it easily on your own--but we enjoy other places in the region.

Marseille: I have only gone through Provernce on our own with a rental car, so I'll not give port stop advice here.

Barcelona: End of your cruise? I hope you spend a few days here...If so, just make sure you have a hotel near the Placa Catalunya and explore on your own...The HOHO bus is a good option...and public transportation and walking are easy from the Placa Catalunya...Don't miss all of the Gaudi sites (Especially Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Casa Mila and Casa Batllo)...

Good luck...

You can take trains all over the south of France for far less than the cost of an Oceania tour. AND you get to experience local culture and atmosphere instead of the inside of a bus with the same people you see day in day out on the ship. I guess it's a matter of preferences.

My husband and I will be taking the 10/15 cruise, after spending 3 days in Barcelona. Is there anyone out there who would like to join us when we dock on 10/23 for a private tour of the Amalfi Coast? I have recommendations of a wonderful guide from a friend who too the tour in May, but it is way too expensive for just the 2 of us. We are adventurous and youthful 70 yr. olds.

Wow, so much to learn for 1st time cruisers!! Well, we have 11 months to learn all we can, our cruise is for next June, 2012 on the Riveria. Have joined the Roll Call, and am waiting for Oceania to list their excursions for that cruise. CC is a wonderful source for info & help, thank you one & all!!

am waiting for Oceania to list their excursions for that cruise. CC is a wonderful source for info & help, thank you one & all!!

If there are the same ports as this year's cruise check them out they will probably be the same or similar

It will give you an idea

Enjoy

Lyn

My husband and I will be taking the 10/15 cruise, after spending 3 days in Barcelona. Is there anyone out there who would like to join us when we dock on 10/23 for a private tour of the Amalfi Coast? I have recommendations of a wonderful guide from a friend who too the tour in May, but it is way too expensive for just the 2 of us. We are adventurous and youthful 70 yr. olds.

We are late 50's, also like to do our own thing avoiding crowds and enjoying the flavor of towns and catching some of the historical/architectural highlights. I was planning on ferrying to to Positano and doing Amalfi on our own, but would like to hear about your friends trip and consider doing a private tour with you.

I think BruinSteve made a lot of great points in this discussion. I completely agree with everything he said. We have done ship tours and private tours, it all depends on so many variables. I wanted to add one additional comment concerning private tours. What if you book and pay for a non-refundable private tour and the ship changes it's itinerary (for any number of reasons and up until the day of docking)? You obviously lose your money, which does not happen it you book through the cruise line. This happened to us on Oceania in the Mediterranean. Just something to consider.

I think BruinSteve made a lot of great points in this discussion. I completely agree with everything he said. We have done ship tours and private tours, it all depends on so many variables. I wanted to add one additional comment concerning private tours. What if you book and pay for a non-refundable private tour and the ship changes it's itinerary (for any number of reasons and up until the day of docking)? You obviously lose your money, which does not happen it you book through the cruise line. This happened to us on Oceania in the Mediterranean. Just something to consider.

That can be avoided.

We rarely ever book a private tour that requires prepayment of any kind.

In Asia we had to -- and so we booked with large reputable companies whose contracts promised full refunds if the itinerary were changed or the ship could not dock.

Hi, we're the other couple Andee and Chuck "met" on the Roll Call. We certainly did have a great time touring the Amalfi Coast. Andee hope you are well!! Let me hear from you!! Arlene:)

Arlene, you & Alan are a big part of why that was our favorite cruise ever!

Your experience may be unusual. Our private guides in the Mediterranean were upfront stating that if we can't make the tour because of ship issues (can't dock, can't tender, port is eliminated, etc), there would be no penalty. None required any advance deposit; they just requested the courtesy of notification of any issues that would prevent us from making the tour up to the day of the tour. Our payments for private tours were made at the end of the tour. There are exceptions, of course.

+1 - exactly.

Your experience may be unusual. Our private guides in the Mediterranean were upfront stating that if we can't make the tour because of ship issues (can't dock, can't tender, port is eliminated, etc), there would be no penalty. None required any advance deposit; they just requested the courtesy of notification of any issues that would prevent us from making the tour up to the day of the tour. Our payments for private tours were made at the end of the tour. There are exceptions, of course.

Archived