Refrigerators in Cabins

hershey4

I am a first time cruiser and will be sailing on the Century next month. Is there a refrigerator in each cabin? Is it stocked? I would NOT want to pay for anything in the fridge, but would like it to be available for something I mightg want to put inside. Could you request an empty one? I've heard of some hotels charging you everytime you just open the fridge, whether or not you actually use anything. What's the situation on the Century?

there is a chiller (not a true refrigerator, but it will cool your beverages or medications) in each stateroom. You can ask your steward to empty it on the first day to make room for what you might need to put in it. It is not wired to charge you each time you open in as in some hotels.

There is a trick to getting it to be a little colder which is to prop open nearby cabinetry (doors or drawers) in the unit it's mounted in, in order to release built up heat from the motor. That will make it somewhat colder, but it's still not a true refrigerator.

It can keep things chilled enough though. We had some hiking planned on one port of call a few years ago (on our own, not through the cruiseline) and the evening before we had room service deliver some sandwiches (subway type things) and they were just fine the next morning with some apples from the fruit bowl and a couple bottles of water when we headed out. I've also brought back the contents of the extra small sweet tray at the end of the Murano meal (because we couldn't possibly eat it then and we hate to waste such yumminess) and it was just fine the next couple days.

Although it's not a real refrig. it serves the purpose ok enough.

It can keep things chilled enough though. We had some hiking planned on one port of call a few years ago (on our own, not through the cruiseline) and the evening before we had room service deliver some sandwiches (subway type things) and they were just fine the next morning with some apples from the fruit bowl and a couple bottles of water when we headed out. I've also brought back the contents of the extra small sweet tray at the end of the Murano meal (because we couldn't possibly eat it then and we hate to waste such yumminess) and it was just fine the next couple days.

That's really smart, taking the last course of truffles, etc., back to the cabin. Wish we had thought of that. Hated to leave them. Now next time we'll know what to do. Thanks.

Careful bringing fruit off the ship.Most countries including the USA frown on this.

..........................Frank:)

To the OP -- and first time cruiser -- please don't take food off the ship (despite what an earlier poster wrote about having done so), especially meat, cheese & fruit. It is illegal in most ports. While you may get away with it, you are potentially damaging local flora and fauna, and may be subject to a fine if caught. People who must take food with them due to medical needs generally take only prepackaged, sealed items like granola bars or other snacks.

This is a huge can of worms (as are quite a number of topics here on Cruise Critic) but hey, welcome to this Forum!

On RCCL I had to empty it myself into a plastic laundry bag and stuffed the contents under my bed. On X the steward took care of it. BTW on Equinox I had the coldest in-room frig I've ever had.

It is against the law in most countries to bring food in, especially fruit, meat and dairy. Just like the US and Canada have strict agricultural laws, so do most other countries. The fines for bringing in these things can be high. It's written in the daily newsletter and it's announced that taking food, except for pre-packaged, sealed items, is illegal. I've seen local officials going through bags and throwing away things that people have in their bags. Best to never take any food off the ship unless it's something like packaged crackers, cereals and things like that.

No worries, we were not planning on taking any food off the ship. :) We wanted a fridge to keep water/sodas cold. I've done enough reading on these boards to know that would be a BIG no-no!!

Hershey,

If your ice bucket runs low just call your steward.

We have also "helped" chill a few things by putting ice filled glasses in the cooler. You can't get an ice bucket in most models.

You will have a wonderful cruise.

I have to disagree, last year we had a mini fridge.

Has to be a certain temp to meet health standards I think its 4 degrees.

Our fridge was cold enough to chill all drinks and keep a slab of chocolate tombstone from Qsine cryogenically frozen without any molecular dispersal (melting).

My observations:

there is a mini-bar "fridge" in the cabin. It keeps things cool but is not as cold as a regular mini fridge. I've read that if someone needs a true fridge for medicines that they can make advance arrangements for one through special services with documentation. We've found it is cool enough to store a milk carton or cheeses overnight - but I'd still be cautious. Drinks are fine but not ice cold - although ice is provided in an ice bucket by your stateroom attendant during regular room service and on request.

The mini bar is stocked but usually has a little room for putting other things in. It does not have sensors so you will be not be charged if you move things around. Charges are established through self reporting and periodic inventory checks - I'm not sure if this is done by your stateroom attendant or another person. Usually when we've asked for it to be emptied they just put the items on the shelf above it or some place else in the cabin. I haven't bothered lately but do occasionally move some items out if I need more room for my stuff - but if I do so I tell the room steward or leave a note in/on the mini-bar so they'll know if they do an inventory.

The mini bars are in a cabinet. I've read they will get cooler if you leave the cabinet door propped open so more air can circulate around them - but haven't really bothered with this myself.

On the Summit our steward showed us how to take the stuff out of the fridge and put it in the side of the cabinet housing the fridge. They took inventory the night before we docked. It wasn't really cold but we found that sometimes the door to the fridge didn't really close well. Once we learned to really push it closed the thing worked better. I brought a case of water and some Pepsi on and we really wanted to use the fridge for our stuff. They were fine with us doing that. I just put a luggage tag on the case of Dasani and put it with our luggage. They delivered it with our luggage. I had a drink package but I was still glad I had it for the convenience of having it in the room.

Archived