Ketchikan Walking Tour

travellingnana

I've downloaded the Downtown Ketchikan Walking Tour Map. It says the walk will take 1.5-2.5 hours. I realize that everyone walks at a different pace, but in general is this 1.5 hours if all you do is walk along & check things off the list; 2.5 hours if you actually take the time to explore and look around for a bit? Should I plan on even more time, or is the 2.5 hr timeframe about right? Thanks.

We were there on 7/9. Fun, walkable town. Don't miss Creek street, the salmon ladder and the paths along the beautiful creek that gives Creek St. it's name. Beautiful location against the mountains & lots of stores of every kind. If you want to stop and ponder anywhere - give yourself a little extra time.

To clarify - there were no salmon running when we were there, but the white water creek is beautiful to look at.

I've downloaded the Downtown Ketchikan Walking Tour Map. It says the walk will take 1.5-2.5 hours. I realize that everyone walks at a different pace, but in general is this 1.5 hours if all you do is walk along & check things off the list; 2.5 hours if you actually take the time to explore and look around for a bit? Should I plan on even more time, or is the 2.5 hr timeframe about right? Thanks.
I did not do the walking tour but Ketchikan is a very small place and I would think 2 1/2 should be ample to walk around the highlights of the city. Was just there June 20. Good town for salmon and shopping.

I was walking downtown and noticed the Tongass Museum. There a lot of items from the late 1800's and early 1900's. Admission is $2 and I found it very interesting even though it is small. Took less than 1/2 hr to go through. One interesting article was announcing a Doctor in home visit was being increased from about $2.50 to $2.75.

Haven't seen anyone else mention this museum on the board.

I can't resurrect the link just now, but I think it is on one of the official visitors' sites. There is an iPhone/iPod commentary that goes along with the walking tour map. I think it was around $2 and seems very good, with multiple narrators and interesting facts. I've only listened to a little bit, but we're taking my iPod with a Y jack so we can both listen. It's divided into chapters, so it would be easy to skip anything you wanted to.

Ditto for the Tongass Museum. We visited there several years ago and really enjoyed it.

Be sure to take the "Married Man's Trail" along the waterfall that runs through town. Also take the free tram up the hill for great views of the port.

Is the free tram, the Cape Fox Lodge tram?

Be sure to take the "Married Man's Trail" along the waterfall that runs through town. Also take the free tram up the hill for great views of the port.

If you are talking about the funicular that goes up to Cape Fox Lodge it wasn't free when we took it last year. I believe we paid $2 per person.

We had lunch there last year and very much enjoyed the food. As it was a chilly, rainy day, I had a big bowl of their chowder (delicious! tasted like more!:p), while DH had fish and chips to enjoy with his Alaskan Amber. He raved about how great it was. Just us and one other couple in the restaurant the day we were there. The menu isn't huge, but plenty of selection for seafood lovers...or not. Gorgeous views of our ship in the harbor. We viewed the totem poles in the rear of the restaurant before walking down the trail to town, which was a lot of fun.

We had lunch there last year and very much enjoyed the food. As it was a chilly, rainy day, I had a big bowl of their chowder (delicious! tasted like more!:p), while DH had fish and chips to enjoy with his Alaskan Amber. He raved about how great it was. Just us and one other couple in the restaurant the day we were there. The menu isn't huge, but plenty of selection for seafood lovers...or not. Gorgeous views of our ship in the harbor. We viewed the totem poles in the rear of the restaurant before walking down the trail to town, which was a lot of fun.

Yum, thanks for posting this and I may have to go up there just for that on my next visit :D

I have done the walk several times...except the Bawden/Park Ave bit.... and I would be inclined to say that if you are going to enjoy all that the walk offers I would allow the full 2.5 hrs particularly if you are going to stop at some of the shops and galleries along the way.

Is the free tram, the Cape Fox Lodge tram?

Yes it is. It was free when we took it and we have friends who took it last week and it was free for them too. Maybe it depends on the day of the week. We took it on a Sunday.

At dinner there. It was good but a little high priced.

Archived