Grand a 4* ? Why not 5* like her sister ships?

GLCAS

She's just recently renovated. I'd say give her time and her ratings will increase. My husband and I were on her just before the renovation and she's still a fine ship even before the renovation.

:confused:Why is the Grand a 4* and not a 5* like the CB or Crown? It looks the same and has just been renovated????

Try reading the recent reviews. I loved the one titled Grim Princess. After spending two weeks in a hot cabin, I would not book another cruise on the Grand. They didn't renovate the shabby cabins.

I agree with dlynndan. It's been a short time since she came out of drydock; reviews on the new, upgraded Grand should bring that rating up.

We've cruised on the Grand three times and she is our favorite Princess ship. We can't wait to book her again when she is on an itinerary that interests us.

Lew

Try reading the recent reviews. I loved the one titled Grim Princess. After spending two weeks in a hot cabin, I would not book another cruise on the Grand. They didn't renovate the shabby cabins.

I think there's little doubt that many report that the post-drydock Grand was not quite ready for passengers. But you were onboard last fall, and most reviews from then are 4 or 5 star reviews. So am I missing something? If it was so awful then, and if reviews count, then....

We were on the Grand for a 14-day Caribbean cruise in March 2010. We are booked on the Grand for a 14-day London to FLL in the Fall of 2012. So looking forward to sailing on her again and hope to enjoy the upgrades. We have never been disappointed with any of our suites on any Princess Cruises...hope to have a grand time on this one as well!

I was just on the Grand for the 14 day Spitsbergen and North Cape cruise up the coast of Norway. I have no complaints at all about the ship. I read the post-dry dock reviews and was a tiny bit concerned. From my experience, I'd say they got all the bugs worked out and the ship was indeed Grand. The cabins were not refurbished, but our mini-suite on Dolphin deck was in great shape. It was very clean, the bed was comfortable, and the service was outstanding. It was a bit chilly in many places on the ship but, after all, this was a cold weather cruise. If you are planning to cruise on the Grand, don't worry about this ship--she is great!

:confused:Why is the Grand a 4* and not a 5* like the CB or Crown? It looks the same and has just been renovated????
The Grand was the first of the larger ships and people (at least Americans) think newer equals better and want as new as possible. The Grand was recently renovated so the ratings should improve. The bottom line is that while an indicator, I take passenger ratings with a healthy dose of skepticism. Also, people think that just because a ship has been renovated, that absolutely everything in it has also been renovated. I've been on different ships on different cruiselines post renovation and the cabins were exactly the same as they were before renovation. On the Amsterdam, the yellow leather chair was so old and cracked, it was practically falling apart. That didn't affect my cruise and it is one of my all-time top three.

I was on the Grand last month after her drydock, and all her improvements we're well recieved and have significantly upgraded her public areas, but that said, the cabins have not been touched and remain a bit tired in contrast to the rest of the ship.

Imagine for some who rate ships this alone may account for only the 4 star rating.... Just a thought

Srpilo

We liked her even before she was recently upgraded. Keep in mind there are bunches of people who will never give a 5 rating just because that's how they rate things. Great is never good enough - see if the words match the rating, like "the food was wonderful" rating = 4. (huh?)

We liked her even before she was recently upgraded. Keep in mind there are bunches of people who will never give a 5 rating just because that's how they rate things. Great is never good enough - see if the words match the rating, like "the food was wonderful" rating = 4. (huh?)

In the post cruise questionaires, I am usually able to give a top rating to cabin steward, dining room staff, etc.

But when it comes to the question if the cruise:

did not meet expectations

met expectations

exceeded expectations

I will usually check met expectations because I expect the staff to be great.

The Grand was the first of the larger ships and people (at least Americans) think newer equals better and want as new as possible. The Grand was recently renovated so the ratings should improve. The bottom line is that while an indicator, I take passenger ratings with a healthy dose of skepticism. Also, people think that just because a ship has been renovated, that absolutely everything in it has also been renovated. I've been on different ships on different cruiselines post renovation and the cabins were exactly the same as they were before renovation. On the Amsterdam, the yellow leather chair was so old and cracked, it was practically falling apart. That didn't affect my cruise and it is one of my all-time top three.

agree, well said

I have a friend who wants to book one of the Suites on the Grand. He is afraid that the ones up front he will feel the ship rock more. Does anyone know if this is true, have had any experience with the front suites? He is considering doing a mid ship suite so do you think that is a better idea? Now if the reno's did not do any staterooms, then googleing Princess Grand suites - the pictures would be accurate?? He cannot seem to find any good virtual tours or pictures of the actual suites. Does anyone have an history with suites on the grand or pictures or suggestions??? Would truly appreciate any help out there. Thank you so much..

MO

Archived