Questions about photographs

roe2ship

Does Celebrity have the face recognition software scanning your card to see your photos on a computer screen?

What are the sizes and prices of the pictures? What backdrops have they been using lately? Thanks:)

They suppose to, but on our last cruise the program only got like 10% of the photos of us from their system. So don't count on it. The photos prices varies from 15-300 single photo to cd of photos. They have discounts on photos that no one buys :)

What are the sizes and prices of the pictures? What backdrops have they been using lately? Thanks:)

Many of the pictures taken are 8x10 size, but the "net" size of the people portion displayed might be smaller as they will have some "form" types of designs around where the folks are shown. Many of the backdrops or setting are based on the port visited or the special night it might be, the cruise title, etc. As you get off the ship in a port, they try all types of gimmicks to slow you down and get you to stop for a photo. Technically, the photos are sharp and crisp, BUT, it is still a "pain" and bother in my book. I rate much of this effort as mostly a waste of time and/or "who cares?".

Many smaller and better cruise lines are dumping this "revenue stream" effort that makes certain cruisers unhappy with the hassle/hussle. Digital camera are making it much easier for people to get their own travel pictures in the ports. There are many different picture packages offered on the ship and "special" deals pitched, but the base, initial cost seemed to be about $20 for an 8x10. My family and friends are not that impressed by a fake, staged picture of me with the Captain. They would just yawn!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 21,052 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 46,449 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

I messed up the quote part and don't know HTML, so this is from Terry from Ohio:

Many of the pictures taken are 8x10 size, but the "net" size of the people portion displayed might be smaller as they will have some "form" types of designs around where the folks are shown. Many of the backdrops or setting are based on the port visited or the special night it might be, the cruise title, etc. As you get off the ship in a port, they try all types of gimmicks to slow you down and get you to stop for a photo. Technically, the photos are sharp and crisp, BUT, it is still a "pain" and bother in my book. I rate much of this effort as mostly a waste of time and/or "who cares?".

Many smaller and better cruise lines are dumping this "revenue stream" effort that makes certain cruisers unhappy with the hassle/hussle. Digital camera are making it much easier for people to get their own travel pictures in the ports. There are many different picture packages offered on the ship and "special" deals pitched, but the base, initial cost seemed to be about $20 for an 8x10. My family and friends are not that impressed by a fake, staged picture of me with the Captain. They would just yawn!!!

And this is from me Beth formerly from Ohio and now from NY.

Terry - you are such a good photographer that of course you wouldn't want to buy the pictures. We rarely buy them either, but I can see that there are people who don't have your talent who might enjoy them, so I hope they don't totally eliminate this. But we do dodge the pictures as we leave the ship and they learn not to bother us.

Terry - you are such a good photographer that of course you wouldn't want to buy the pictures. We rarely buy them either, but I can see that there are people who don't have your talent who might enjoy them, so I hope they don't totally eliminate this. But we do dodge the pictures as we leave the ship and they learn not to bother us.

Hi, Beth from Ohio. Glad to know you are now taking care of things in NY. Appreciate your kind comments on my pictures.

You make a very valid point that some on cruises really like to have these pictures taken by pro's, do photo "settings" for family portraits on the formal night, etc.

My point about the digital camera "revolution" is that these cameras are getting better and better with larger pixel levels. That means that at your dinner table or out in the field, a waiter or friend can snap a picture. You then can see, immediately, whether that picture worked or not, looks good or bad, can be improved, etc. Another picture or two can be taken, having people move closer, do it again to make up for eyes being closed, a bad facial expression, etc. Then you can take those pictures off of your camera, iPhone, etc., fine-tune and crop more on your lap-tops, etc. Not everyone is into this new technology, but lots are and can produce some much better quality pictures than done two, five or ten years ago. These cameras keep getting better and better, making it harder for the ships to get the yield from these efforts that they achieved in the past.

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 21,052 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 46,449 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

We just got off the Summit July 10. My wife enjoys the pictures and likes to purchase some. The first formal night was Monday evening and they had about 5 different stations with different backdrops and on average took 3 photos at each place. I think there were about 18 photos that first evening and my wife liked about 10 of them. At $19.95 that's pretty close to $200 and we were still on the third day of the trip. I asked about packages and they said they had one where you got all the pictures for $249. We took it and my wife was very happy. Ended up with 58 photos and most of them were good.

One lesson I have learned in 38 happy years of marriage -

Happy wife = Happy life....

deoijfoidsj
Huh?:confused:

They had it on Solstice onour TA. they did not have it on Summit when I sailed her last October. EM
I had a feeling that the system was only in place on the newer ships.

We just got off the Summit July 10. My wife enjoys the pictures and likes to purchase some. The first formal night was Monday evening and they had about 5 different stations with different backdrops and on average took 3 photos at each place. I think there were about 18 photos that first evening and my wife liked about 10 of them. At $19.95 that's pretty close to $200 and we were still on the third day of the trip. I asked about packages and they said they had one where you got all the pictures for $249. We took it and my wife was very happy. Ended up with 58 photos and most of them were good.

Great, 19.95 for formal pictures is a great buy.

I'm planning to sit for formal family pictures during my cruise. I'm hoping for a package. Some past CC post stated that there is no sitting fee or obligation to purchase.

Nope, no sitting fee or obligation, so nothing to lose.

We still like purchasing pictures on the ship - some of the very best pictures of us were taken by ship photographers.

Hi All,

Overall great post... great discussion... very informative for a newbie.

$ 20 a photo doesn't seem that expensive.

And so PLEASED to know that there is a Package Plan too... may just go for that if there are a lot of photos that we... (uh... I) want.

<< Happy Wife = Happy Life >>

Lol, too bad so many men don't figure this out until their "starter" marriages are over :rolleyes:

Guessing that with 38 Years in you were one of the few who figured it out first time round !! ;)

CONGRATULATIONS to both you and the Mrs.

:)

Cheers!

Ok, call me crazy but how many pictures of yourself does anyone need, especially formal pictures in the same clothes?? I know they can make good gifts to children or grandchildren (or parents if the other way around), but other than that I just don't get why anyone would buy dozens of formal pictures of themselves. Port pictures with different scenes - ok, I get that. But at $20 a pop???? We just ask a friendly couple walking by to snap a pic or two of hubby and myself next to the island welcoming sign and there we are - a souvenir photo and $20 dollars still in our pocket we can spend on other things. To each their own so this is NOT meant to be a judgement or a criticism, I just honestly don't get it.

We just ask a friendly couple walking by to snap a pic or two of hubby and myself next to the island welcoming sign and there we are - a souvenir photo and $20 dollars still in our pocket we can spend on other things. To each their own so this is NOT meant to be a judgement or a criticism, I just honestly don't get it.

I would say you "get IT" very, very well and summarize things correctly. Our son and his wife in Charlottesville, Va., have NO INTEREST in seeing or getting copies of such pictures. Too boring and . . . who cares? Some families have that interest. I understand that "market" interest, but it is a small portion of the ship's audience.

We were on the Summit in April and bought a fair amount of pictures there was one paticular photographer that could not take a bad picture of the hubby and I and neither of us are overly photogenic so we spurged since we couldn't narrow it down to just 1 well worth the $20 each.

Ok, call me crazy but how many pictures of yourself does anyone need, especially formal pictures in the same clothes?? I know they can make good gifts to children or grandchildren (or parents if the other way around), but other than that I just don't get why anyone would buy dozens of formal pictures of themselves. Port pictures with different scenes - ok, I get that. But at $20 a pop???? We just ask a friendly couple walking by to snap a pic or two of hubby and myself next to the island welcoming sign and there we are - a souvenir photo and $20 dollars still in our pocket we can spend on other things. To each their own so this is NOT meant to be a judgement or a criticism, I just honestly don't get it.

Some people have different formal clothes to put on than the same ones used on prior cruises. Not only that, aren’t photographers out other nights too? Some people have families and it is a great time to get a nice family picture without a sitting fee. Personally I find they are great souvenir photos at a reasonable price. The one thing that I don't like is when they interrupt you at dinner...now that is annoying.

The photo's aren't for everybody and I totally get that. However, for those of us who do like them we appreciate the service. The photographers do a really good job. Our kids will end up with one each and they may or may not display it icon7.gif. Our parents will end up with a couple and they will love them. We had photos taken 4 different nights with different clothing each night (2 formal and 2 casual). We had the boarding photo, the group photo of our table, photos with characters as we got off the ship each day. Yes, a lot of photos of an old guy and a very beautiful lady who chose me those 38 years ago. If it were up to me it would be no big deal, but my wife enjoys them so I'm happy. Another apprapro saying "If mama aint happy, aint nobody happy." I live by that.

The photos are reasonable compared to what people get charged for graduation pictures or portraits that churches, organizations and schools charge.

On board the pictures are grouped by face recognition. There are some mess ups but for the most part they are daily accurate.

You can see the hard photo in the photo galley but you have to remember when and where you had them taken. It is a good way to kill a few minutes searching for your photos. It is also nice to see the photos of others that you have seen on tours, in the dining room, lounge and etc.

There is also a kiosk where you can pull them up plus they are available thru the monitor in the cabin.

Archived