Turkish Delight candy

I guess this is more of a warning or a heads-up to those who are going to Turkey on their cruise or land vacation. Just wanted to let you know that we bought some boxes of Turkish Delight candy; thought it would be a nice gift for co-workers and such. We saw them all over but ended up buying them cheaper at a grocery store/supermarket. The price was right, we wanted to do something nice, so we bought 5 boxes of various flavors.

When we got home we opened one box to check it out and sadly, it was really awful. The flavor was terrible, the texture was hard, and it was just such a disappointment. Now... yes I know you get what you pay for... but we were just hoping to be able to give our friends a little something from our European travels. I would not advise you to buy the brand "Smyrna" Turkish Delight. It was really bad. :(

When you go to Turkey you'll see this kind everywhere - the boxes were at almost every tourist shop and at the port stores as well in case you wanted to grab a few boxes on your way back to the ship. I know there is some delicious TD candy out there... we just didn't find it.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Just wanted to give a heads-up. :)

We had the same experience you did. Bought some at the port area right before we were to get on the ship in Kusadasi...... just to see what it was like.

YUK !

that said I am not sure I would like it much better if it was fresh :confused:

I bought some in the Spice (Egyptian bazaar) -- you could try it before you bought it. They had a lot of different flavors; it was teeth-achingly sweet but I enjoyed it. :D I think I got boxes of the pistachio flavor to take back home and give away. The box I sampled at home was fine too.....

I bought some in the Spice (Egyptian bazaar) .....

Are you sure it was the same kind in question? I was referring to this specific brand of TD. I know there are some very good ones out there; we actually sampled some in the duty-free liquor store at the pier, but wrongly assumed it was going to be the same as what we'd just bought. Oh well.

:( :o

Are you sure it was the same kind in question? I was referring to this specific brand of TD. I know there are some very good ones out there; we actually sampled some in the duty-free liquor store at the pier, but wrongly assumed it was going to be the same as what we'd just bought. Oh well.

What's in the spice bazaar is not packaged in boxes; it's loose (like the way vegetables and fruits are sold). I've had some heavenly Turkish delight and some stuff that was inedible. That taught me to taste before buying!

I have to admit that I am the most fond of the Turkish Delight that you can buy in the UK, Cadbury brand, rosewater flavored. But don't tell anyone that!

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I wasn't suggesting it was the same brand, but rather that tasting and then buying at the Spice Bazaar is a good way to go if you are intending to purchase Turkish Delight in Istanbul.

Here's a link to a company making Turkish Delight in this country: http://libertyorchards.commercev3.com/

It is just WONDERFUL!! We lived in the northwest for several years and could easily buy it there. Hard to find now that we live in the east. I noticed when I "Googled" to get their website address that Amazon also sold their product.

Just an idea.

<<<Karen>>>

Another vote for tasting then buying at the spice bazaar. So many different flavours and textures.

The traditional flavor that most of us know is rosewater, but there are so many others! I think you're right on the money about tasting then buying.

Don't give up!

I stumbled across a little shop where they make Turkish Delight in some corner of the Grand Bazaar. They sold pre-packaged boxes, but one could also taste and buy to order. Ohmigosh, it was so delicious - soft and chewy but not rubbery - more like the texture of firm Jello. Really good.

Don't give up!

I stumbled across a little shop where they make Turkish Delight in some corner of the Grand Bazaar. They sold pre-packaged boxes, but one could also taste and buy to order. Ohmigosh, it was so delicious - soft and chewy but not rubbery - more like the texture of firm Jello. Really good.

Can you wrack your brains to remember what corner of the Grand Bazaar, or the name on the box? My daughter is living in Istanbul this summer and I'd dearly love for her to bring back a box of Turkish Delight for her father and me (well, okay, mostly me :)).

We bought our TD at Hafiz Mustafa, a long-established shop just around the corner from the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market. I highly recommend them-- they had all kinds of candies and baked goods, including fantastic baklava. They were very generous with the samples, and with general Istanbul advice and information.

We bought several boxes, and the one we devoured on the ship was delicious. The ones we opened up at home were not so good. I think that Turkish Delight just doesn't age well.

Within relatively easy reach of where you'll dock in Istanbul is a candy store where everything is fresh and made on-site. The same family has run the business for generations. Click on the link below to see what I'm talking about, and in the same online album there are more photos:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2131425050103728957occlas

In June we puchased a delicious 4-pk of Koska brand Turkish Delight from a candy shop a few blocks from the pier. It was probably twice as expensive as what we saw being sold in the Grand Bazaar. When a turkish friend saw the package I brought to work, he said "Ohhhh, you bought the good stuff!"....and it was!

Archived