Has Anyone Ever Downgraded?

yoyocruiser

After doing a bit of research and receiving information from folks who recently sailed on the Dawn in an aft suite or balcony on Deck 8, it has become fairly clear that I made a big mistake when booking this cabin--due to it being over the night club.

I did research and knew where the cabin was located--but it was the last aft suite available. I am generally not noise sensitive and made an assumption that it couldn't be that bad. Well, silly me!! :eek: The stories are pretty uniformly bad--like the room vibrates--LOL!! I guess the standard procedure appears to be to give people in these suites another room to sleep in. But that is no guarantee--as there might not be rooms available--and I mean, really, who wants to do that anyway?

I have already paid in full so my options are limited. I know I can move up but the next level suite would be almost $600 more for the two of us--and frankly, we were pretty maxed out in terms of what I want to pay.

I am seriously considering asking to go to a mini suite. I know I would not get any refund, I understand the concept of final payment. Perhaps they might offer some OBC. But then someone said there were penalties and I might even have to pay more???:mad: Well, that would really be a bummer. I hate thinking of giving up the perks, but honestly, to go all week without sleep is rather daunting.

I keep going back and forth--part of me feels that in the fall the ship is much quieter and the dancing really doesn't go past 1 AM; also we are really not picky, we will always have a good time; but just thinking this might be crossing the line of what we can handle. And it is a lot of money.

Has anyone else done this? Any thoughts or advice? :)

they won't let you downgrade after final. We just tried that to put my mom in a cabin next to us. She's in an E3 and we're in a BC which is considered a downgrade. What they would let us do is cancel both our bookings and re-book two cabins together at about a cost of $300 more per cabin!!! We said thanks, but no thanks

they won't let you downgrade after final. We just tried that to put my mom in a cabin next to us. She's in an E3 and we're in a BC which is considered a downgrade. What they would let us do is cancel both our bookings and re-book two cabins together at about a cost of $300 more per cabin!!! We said thanks, but no thanks

sorry I double posted don't know how to delete

First off, you may be just fine and may be overly thinking this.

But - when you said you have paid in full, is that because you are past final payment date? Just paying in full is TOTALLY different than final payment date and the rules that go with it.

Yep--July 10th was final payment date!!

Yes, someone else had mentioned you couldn't downgrade without big penalty--seems odd. So thanks for confirming that that was true. Still seems really weird to me. I mean I kind of thought maybe the person wanted to get money back for the downgrade difference. But I guess it's a real penalty--or could perhaps depend on the exact situation of your cruise--pricing can always get a little funny.

We have been on The Dawn and have been in Aft Suites. We have never had any of the problems you have stated. The rooms and location were the best you could want on the ship. As with anything else it is up to each persons Taste. We have downgraded on our current cruise though because of disappointment with the suite amennities. Some people think how wonderful these are (not to be missed). On our last cruise on The Dawn Aft Suite The Butler was non exsistent when we asked for the in room dining menu from the specialty restuarants we were given the reg. room service menu I could go on but I won't(and there were many things). Everyone has a differant experience.

I could not see paying extra for something I did not receive so this time we kept the money in our pocket.

Don't worry about what you might expect when you get on board you may find the rooms are great and no noise or vibration. The balcony is great You'll love the wake of the ship.

We have been on The Dawn and have been in Aft Suites. We have never had any of the problems you have stated. The rooms and location were the best you could want on the ship. As with anything else it is up to each persons Taste. We have downgraded on our current cruise though because of disappointment with the suite amennities. Some people think how wonderful these are (not to be missed). On our last cruise on The Dawn Aft Suite The Butler was non exsistent when we asked for the in room dining menu from the specialty restuarants we were given the reg. room service menu I could go on but I won't(and there were many things). Everyone has a differant experience.

I could not see paying extra for something I did not receive so this time we kept the money in our pocket.

Don't worry about what you might expect when you get on board you may find the rooms are great and no noise or vibration. The balcony is great You'll love the wake of the ship.

You didn't say what deck you were on. If it was 9 or 10 then no issues. I also notice you were on the Dawn on 2010 and before. The moving of the night club aft was done May 2011 so you weren't affected.

The aft cabin noise on the Dawn is from Spinnakers which has been moved to aft deck 7. This just took place when Dawn was recently in drydock. When you sailed Spinnakers wasn't below your suite. I don't know why NCL didn't correct the sound problem when they knew about it from the other ships remodel.

With few exceptions, my experience has been Spinnaker usually winds down about 12-1. Since you know in advance there may be an issue, why not just plan on earplugs and enjoy? Unless you turn in at 9 or so, you should be up for most of the noise and not suffer with much.;)

The suite we are in is on Deck 8, so yes, it is directly above Spinnaker's.

Now the information regarding the time that Spinnaker's "closes" is helpful--and promising. Truly if it is 12 or even 1 I am fine with that. In fact--we will likely be there until that time. But others were saying the usic went until 2 and even 3.

It is really a tough decision to make--whether or not to at least inquire about a downgrade--I hate giving up the suite perks. Antmilant, I am sorry that your suite experience was not that great. However, ours really was and I think they usually are.

Now the information regarding the time that Spinnaker's "closes" is helpful--and promising. Truly if it is 12 or even 1 I am fine with that. In fact--we will likely be there until that time. But others were saying the usic went until 2 and even 3.

It is really a tough decision to make--whether or not to at least inquire about a downgrade--I hate giving up the suite perks. Antmilant, I am sorry that your suite experience was not that great. However, ours really was and I think they usually are.

Honestly I would keep the cabin and pack earplugs (which I do anyway...and in our case a white noise machine). You're after final, so they aren't going to let you downgrade (the policy prevents "buyers remorse"). I would still book the suite on deck 8, even knowing the risks for noise, if that was the only penthouse I could get. (I did book the deck 8 suite on the Star, but was able to move to deck nine when one of those cabins opened up.)

Good luck! :)

Thanks Cubechick! You know, I think I am just going to go with it. I will check each day and make a couple calls to my PCC to move to Deck 9 or 10 should something open up. even if I could downgrade, I would hate to lose the suite perks.

Also, I do think that the fall cruising crowd is a little more sedate--no college kids to speak of or even young families. Mostly an older set. In the past it seems that things have wound up between 12 and 1. Honestly, it may motivate us to stay up later!! And then ear plugs are certainly a possibility.

You know how it goes--you think you have booked the perfect cruise and then you start reading all these complaints and get a little paranoid. And I don't think that these people are exaggerating the situation--I read several threads (and also about the STAR)--but still--knowing it up front I can be prepared and pack the ear plugs.

And now I can go back to being excited about my aft suite!! LOL :D:D

I would not downgrade. On our last cruise there were some problems we heard about from an aft suite, but not all aft suites on 8! Who knows.

It may be just fine!

They are certainly aware of this problem, so at the first sign of trouble, let them know in no uncertain terms. We have always had good luck if we let them know right away and by staying flexible!

Personally, I think they should just put you in the Garden Villa!:D

Afts are the best and we love them. not sure who told you about vibration... not really true. We sailed on Dawn in an aft, no issues.

btw, I downgraded us :( from SC [2 bedroom suite] to B1.. but it was about 5 days from final payment date [phew]. saved $2,000. prices for B1 kept falling until I could not stand it anymore and had to grab an aft, again!

Oh Valleyvillage, I think I will have them talk to you about this situation!! :D:D

Rarebird, I think the situation is pretty new--in the dry dock Spinnaker's was relocated to Deck 7 aft. Therefore it is right below the deck 8 aft suites adn balconies. It is not an issue with all the aft cabins--only the ones on Deck 8. Since it is a fairly new set up the situation has come as a surprise to many fo those who have booked there. I--on the other hand--knw but booked anyway :confused:--but the only availability was on Deck 8.

hahah--I can hope for an upsell I guess, but that's hardly something to depend on!!:D

Thanks Cubechick! You know, I think I am just going to go with it. I will check each day and make a couple calls to my PCC to move to Deck 9 or 10 should something open up. even if I could downgrade, I would hate to lose the suite perks.

Also, I do think that the fall cruising crowd is a little more sedate--no college kids to speak of or even young families. Mostly an older set. In the past it seems that things have wound up between 12 and 1. Honestly, it may motivate us to stay up later!! And then ear plugs are certainly a possibility.

You know how it goes--you think you have booked the perfect cruise and then you start reading all these complaints and get a little paranoid. And I don't think that these people are exaggerating the situation--I read several threads (and also about the STAR)--but still--knowing it up front I can be prepared and pack the ear plugs.

And now I can go back to being excited about my aft suite!! LOL :D:D

That's the spirit! Keep your eye open in case you can move up and otherwise just be prepared!

I'm optimistic enough to think that being prepared and forewarned, hopefully it won't be as bad as reported (I can imagine if you didn't know about the potential for noise it would seem much worse than it actually was).

Have a great cruise! :D

@yoyocruiser -

Never had a downgrade. We have refused an upgrade once, from our aft cabin to a midship mini suite. Nosirree, nobody is getting us out of our aft cabin! :)

On the Sun we were right above the theater (new to cruising, didn't know any better), and we loved it. During rehearsal time in late afternoon we could hear the drummer go through his/her routine. It was rather muffled and not bothersome. During their performance in the evening we did not hear a thing. That cruise got us hooked on aft cabins. The only way we cruise. I agree with garycarla, you may be worrying needlessly.

good attitude.

Plan to go to Spinnakers. Have a great time and dance your heart out. Then return to your suite and collapse into bed:D

I'm wondering if since the AFT cabins are so desirable if you could have NCL put a note in your file that you would be willing to switch with someone who has a higher category cabin elsewhere who has always wanted an AFT cabin. Wouldn't hurt to let them know because there are always those who want those cabins and that might give the "upsell fairy" incentive to call you and make a sweet suite deal.

The other option is the if you can't beat 'em, join 'em and just go down and dance your butts off.

Please be sure to let us know the outcome after you return!

Well, there is the "if you can't beat em, join em" philosophy--and yes, we could easily get motivated to go dancing every night. . .especially if there is no hope of sleep!!

I will let everyone know how it turns out--we sail the third week in September--hopefully with a quiet and sedate crowd--;)

I think that I would call NCL just to inquire if you think it is going to be too bad. The worst they can say is "no".

I also like your idea about earplugs. My son uses his ipod (if you have one) and gets soothing sounds to play on it sometimes as he is falling asleep. That might block the noise as well.

Good Luck!

Archived