How to find price drops on NONgroup booking? Where r prices for individual cabins?

true45

Just booked 1st Princess cruise - Princess agent says price drops will be honored. I need a way to check without bothering agent constantly. It is easy to check on Celebrity's website by starting a booking and when the price comes up, just stopping the process.

We booked partially unobstructed for Caribbean. They have starting price for obstructed but not partially obstructed. Where are prices for each category?

On deck plans there are lots of color categories but I can't find prices for each.

Thank you -- we are so looking forward to trying Princess. Itineraries are terrific compared to Celebrity.

Just one more question -- which toiletries does Princess provide? Shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, hand lotion -- just so I know what to bring.

Just booked 1st Princess cruise - Princess agent says price drops will be honored. I need a way to check without bothering agent constantly. It is easy to check on Celebrity's website by starting a booking and when the price comes up, just stopping the process.

We booked partially unobstructed for Caribbean. They have starting price for obstructed but not partially obstructed. Where are prices for each category?

On deck plans there are lots of color categories but I can't find prices for each.

Thank you -- we are so looking forward to trying Princess. Itineraries are terrific compared to Celebrity.

Just one more question -- which toiletries does Princess provide? Shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, hand lotion -- just so I know what to bring.

You need to do a "booking" to determine actual cabin price categories -- no other way to find out about pricing.

Shampoo, conditioner and land lotion along with bar soap will be provided by Princess.

MARAPRINCE

Exactly the same on Princess.

Use the "Find and compare cruises" dropdown menu and then "Search cruises."

Unlike Celebrity, Princess allows TAs to discount cruise prices. The pricing on the Princess website is the equivalent of the "manufacturer's suggested retail price", just the starting point. A good TA will offer a group rate, even if you are not part of a group, discount the price, and give you perks such as an OBC, a bottle of wine, dinner in a specialty restaurant, etc. Some rebate part of their commission. You can almost always do much better than the Princess website, sometimes substantially so (I read of someone getting 28% recently; 15-20% isn't unheard of.) Do some research and you'll save quite a bit.

Pam, we have already done the booboo & booked with Princess. I had asked an online travel agent that I had tried b4 (that cruise has yet to sail) -- and she gave me a price HIGHER than princess directly believe it or not. Princess rep said I can give cruise to an agent until final payment so perhaps I can do that.

Today on Cruise Critic I saw a sale (on the princess webside) -- same price but $25 OBC. I sent an email to our rep at Princess asking for that deal. What do you think my chance are?? ;)

Pam -

Like True45, I ended up booking through the Princess website.

I started out looking to go through a TA.

I knew which cruise I wanted so I plugged the info into the home page here at Cruise Critic and went to one of the web sites that popped up (I wanted to pay with my AMEX points so I chose an AMEX-associated TA). The web site would not give me pricing information. Instead, it asked for my address and telephone number. I do not give out my phone number - it results in too many marketing robocalls, so I only gave my e-mail address. Shortly I got an e-mail from one of the TA's agent. They would not give me pricing by e-mail and requested all kinds of information (likes, dislikes, etc.), explaining they "can serve me better if they get to know me". I do not want a "relationship". I do not want to be "sold" anything. I want to buy what I want (specific cruise on specific date). That seemed impossible with this TA. I did a Google search for reviews of this TA and found many dis-satisfied customers.

I didn't want to bother blindly searching for another TA - and I couldn't find any specific TA recommendations here on the CC forums....

So I went to the Princess website and did it myself, quick and easy.

So if I don't get the discounts and perks from Princess directly that I could have gotten from a TA, I suppose that's the price I need to pay to avoid high pressure sales pitches.

WV Bill,

I also do have it in writing from Princess that if the price goes down you can get the lower price as long as b4 final payment. If after final payment but at least 1 wk b4 sailing, they give credit.

I know how you feel -- my husband especially is very tired of all the pricing games played by TA's. Not sure if we will get the OBC from Princess. Left an email for Princess this morning.

Pam -

Like True45, I ended up booking through the Princess website.

I started out looking to go through a TA.

I knew which cruise I wanted so I plugged the info into the home page here at Cruise Critic and went to one of the web sites that popped up (I wanted to pay with my AMEX points so I chose an AMEX-associated TA). The web site would not give me pricing information. Instead, it asked for my address and telephone number. I do not give out my phone number - it results in too many marketing robocalls, so I only gave my e-mail address. Shortly I got an e-mail from one of the TA's agent. They would not give me pricing by e-mail and requested all kinds of information (likes, dislikes, etc.), explaining they "can serve me better if they get to know me". I do not want a "relationship". I do not want to be "sold" anything. I want to buy what I want (specific cruise on specific date). That seemed impossible with this TA. I did a Google search for reviews of this TA and found many dis-satisfied customers.

I didn't want to bother blindly searching for another TA - and I couldn't find any specific TA recommendations here on the CC forums....

So I went to the Princess website and did it myself, quick and easy.

So if I don't get the discounts and perks from Princess directly that I could have gotten from a TA, I suppose that's the price I need to pay to avoid high pressure sales pitches.

WELL SAID. WHERE DO THESE WONDERFUL T.A'S RESIDE? ON LINE? LOCAL? I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE....NOT SO LUCKY SO FAR. AND WHEN YOU HEAR ABOUT OTHER FOLKS GETTING FREE DINNERS..LOWER RATES....BOTTLES OF BUBBLY..BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIND ONE OF THESE WONDERFUL TRAVEL AGENTS...............You book with HAL. Been there..done that. I don't like haggling for a car..don't like haggling for a cruise. The whole experience is supposed to be restful..not feeling like you are the person on the plane..who paid the most for the ticket. IF A RATE IS AVAILABLE TO ONE PASSENGER..IT SHOULD BE AVALIABLE TO ALL WHO MEET THE LISTED CRITERA. PERIOD. THERE. SORRY. I AM TRYING TO JUST FIND OUT WHAT A PL 7 RATE DEDUCTION IS....NEXT TIME WE CRUISE PRINCESS IF WE DO..AND I AM THINKING OF CANCELING THIS ONE....WE WILL BOOK DIRECT AND THE DEVIL WITH IT.

Just checked and sure enough our cruise in Oct. went down during the 3 day sale which started today 7/20. We were also given an added $50 OBC! :) (We already had a $100 OBC for my husband being military.)

During this sale deposits are non-refundable and Princess has to create a new booking for you and cancel the original but all went perfect for us and the total cost for 2 went down $150 on our 10 day sailing.

WELL SAID. WHERE DO THESE WONDERFUL T.A'S RESIDE? ON LINE? LOCAL? I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE....NOT SO LUCKY SO FAR. AND WHEN YOU HEAR ABOUT OTHER FOLKS GETTING FREE DINNERS..LOWER RATES....BOTTLES OF BUBBLY..BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIND ONE OF THESE WONDERFUL TRAVEL AGENTS...............You book with HAL. Been there..done that. I don't like haggling for a car..don't like haggling for a cruise. The whole experience is supposed to be restful..not feeling like you are the person on the plane..who paid the most for the ticket. IF A RATE IS AVAILABLE TO ONE PASSENGER..IT SHOULD BE AVALIABLE TO ALL WHO MEET THE LISTED CRITERA. PERIOD. THERE. SORRY. I AM TRYING TO JUST FIND OUT WHAT A PL 7 RATE DEDUCTION IS....NEXT TIME WE CRUISE PRINCESS IF WE DO..AND I AM THINKING OF CANCELING THIS ONE....WE WILL BOOK DIRECT AND THE DEVIL WITH IT.

You don't haggle with discount TA's, they discount right from the first quote. And finding one just takes doing your research! ;)

You don't haggle with discount TA's, they discount right from the first quote. And finding one just takes doing your research! ;)

Any suggestions on how to research? Recommending specific TA's here on CC is prohibited and Google searches turn up thousands of hits. I am not soliciting specific recommendations by PM as that is prohibited too. :(

Any suggestions on how to research? Recommending specific TA's here on CC is prohibited and Google searches turn up thousands of hits. I am not soliciting specific recommendations by PM as that is prohibited too. :(

There are no PM messages on CC, or even contact info for other members, so no way around that one.

The best advise I can give you is to ask others onboard your next cruise if they use a discount TA and if they are willing to share their TA's info with you. You are sure to get several to choose from that way. ;) A few years ago we were on the Grand and got to know our neighbors over the balcony (we were in the same category cabin-A PH suite). They actually quoted me what they paid for their suite and my eyes got huge. I then shared TA info with them, as we had paid $1800 less than they did for the same category. I received a very nice email when we returned home from them that they took my advice and their next cruise they saved a bundle. Good Luck!

I am so with you. I have tried multiple searches on-line, used the links on cc, etc and can't find any of these wonderful agents that people talk about. Most on-line are quoting exactly the same price as Princess. One even wanted an additional "booking fee". Those that are cheaper (and some that aren't) have a non-refundable deposit even if you cancel before Princess makes it non-refundable. My local TA has exactly the same prices as Princess with no extras. I have spent hours and hours playing this "find a good TA game" over the past few weeks and I am really discouraged. I would think it is all a myth except people keep posting about them. I wish Pam in CA was telepathic because I want to know who her TA is.

I am so with you. I have tried multiple searches on-line, used the links on cc, etc and can't find any of these wonderful agents that people talk about. Most on-line are quoting exactly the same price as Princess. One even wanted an additional "booking fee". Those that are cheaper (and some that aren't) have a non-refundable deposit even if you cancel before Princess makes it non-refundable. My local TA has exactly the same prices as Princess with no extras. I have spent hours and hours playing this "find a good TA game" over the past few weeks and I am really discouraged. I would think it is all a myth except people keep posting about them. I wish Pam in CA was telepathic because I want to know who her TA is.

Go on your cruise and enjoy it. Make sure you sign up on your Roll Call and go to any events that are planned. Ask others there how they booked. If they have a great agent ask for the information. Most are glad to share. Then you can bank the savings on your next cruise. That is how I found mine.:)

If you want to be sure you are paying the same as everyone else you should stick with RCI or Celebrity as they have a 'one price' policy. However, my TA still gives out 'perks' when booking on those lines, and the itineraries are usually not as good.

i have found most of the bargain prices come after the final payments and princess has been totally un co operative re upgrading or giving a credit or anything. all i have gotten were lots of lies from everyone from the princess people on phones, the front desk of the cruise etc...

so my policy now is to never book before 90 days out... if i get what i want great, if not so be it there are other cruise lines to go on.

i have found most of the bargain prices come after the final payments and princess has been totally un co operative re upgrading or giving a credit or anything. all i have gotten were lots of lies from everyone from the princess people on phones, the front desk of the cruise etc...

so my policy now is to never book before 90 days out... if i get what i want great, if not so be it there are other cruise lines to go on.

I find the best way to book in most cases is very far out. That is when prices are usually at their lowest. A couple of years ago that was not the case and we did have price drops, which were honored. I send a request for a price adjustment to my TA and let them figure it out. I have never had a problem. If the price drop is after final payment I get OBC, which is worth the same amount of $ in the long run.

You may have to take in to consideration that a lot of us have used our TA's for years and have a great working relationship with them.

They may be more inclined to add some perks when you have already booked 3-4 cruise with them.

Our TA handles our price drops ASAP, I just let her know about them and they are done within the hour if she is in the office.

She doesn't send us any onboard perks like wine or anything and we don't want her to, the good service is enough for us.

Right now she has me at a rate below the Princess site so that's good for me.

My princess rep did walk me how to do price checks on their website and told me (in writing on an email) that they honor price drops up to 1 week b4 sailing (after final payment with credit).

I had a TA that I used for years who NEVER gave any OBC -- usually bottle of wine or strawberries despite my loyalty and referrals. Before a recent booking, I asked if she would provide OBC, she said, no they don't do that. By the way, I found the cruises myself & did not bother her with a bunch of questions. I also got some wrong information from her that I had to correct myself. So my last Celebrity cruise I booked directly through "Passages" so that I received OBC & low deposit. Then I gave it to an online TA who was offering more OBC. On Princess booking, I booked direct & will look for an OBC deal -- but if not, the Princess rep seems knowledgeable (but we haven't taken that cruise yet).

Thank you for all the opinions.

I have found a decent live local TA will at least check the price before final payment to make sure you are still getting the best deal. If go with the discount online TA they may have a good price when you book but if it gets better than that then you may find yourself caught out. Contribute to your local economy and support your TAs who can give you good prices and good service.

billet,

I wish I could find a local TA that offers good service and prices but despite many calls & sometimes stopping by the locals, I have not found that. You are lucky.

I usually find the cruise myself & I don't ask alot of questions. Sometimes what the TA's say directly conflicts with my own experience on the ships. Sometimes they don't know company policy re upgrades and price changes and they argue with me until they find someone who will confirm what I know is true.

Archived