Thinking of going on Royal Caribbean

I'm a fan of Carnival, I've been on one cruise and have another book for this December. My siblings and I are looking to go on a cruise in May 2012 and looking to drive to a port from Ohio. Carnival has a few options for Charleston, but the timing doesn't work out for our price budget. So, we are possibly looking to go on Royal Caribbean. Two of the siblings went on one cruise on Princess, another has never been, and as mentioned before I will have been on two on Carnival.

Anyways, long story...but what can I expect to be different from Carnival? We are looking going on Majesty of the Seas...

RCI ships are well laid out...easy to navigate, and less "carnival" in their decor. Other than that, you can expect just about the same experience. Lots of fun, good service and enough food to bloat you for weeks!!!! The cabins will be smaller than on Carnival....prepare for that difference!

Until you have been on a few different cruise lines I don't know how you could begin to decide what you really like in a cruise. It would be like having eaten only chicken in your life and saying it's your preference, when you have never even tasted beef, pork, fish, lobster, etc..

My suggestion is give Royal a try, I doubt you will be sorry. :)

My siblings and I are looking to go on a cruise in May 2012 and looking to drive to a port from Ohio.

Since you're driving from Ohio, have you considered the Explorer out of NJ or the Enchantment out of Maryland? Both are larger than the Majesty and have more to offer.

You'll love Royal, and the one reason I love them is the layout which primarily has to do with the Royal Promenade and all is has to offer. I havent giving up on Carnival yet, but I go to the Royal website first when cruises.

My neice and I did a 3 nighter on Majesty and had a great time...however, I would never bring my husband or son on Majesty just not enough to do, they are very active people...rooms are tiny, tiny tiny....

I would agree with someone else who suggested driving to Beyonne and going on the Explorer....nice ship..alot to do..these are things the Explorer has that Majesty does not have....ice skating, full basketball court where they have adult dodge ball and other adult only activities...golf simulator....decent size rock wall....in line skating.....my favorite the promenade deck...

But if you just want to party and not do athletic stuff Majesty is fine...Like I said I had a great time...matter of fact we will probably go back on her again this December for a 3 nighter...

RCL has plenty of different type ships to chose from Just let us know what you are looking for in a cruise, most of us will try to help you....

If you are looking for May 2012, the Explorer does the 5 nighter to Bermuda or the 9-nighter to the islands...it is not cheap....Majesty is alot cheaper...but like I said the amenities are not the same you get on Explorer....let us know what you decide.....Happy Sailings

We've been on Majesty twice and for the money - it has the best itenerary. The 4 nighter is my favorite short cruise. It is well maintained and although it does not have all the onboard activities - it has a stop in Key West, Nassau and Coco Cay. The Cruise Director's staff does a wonderful job of activities.

Yes the cabins are small and it does not have all the bells and whistles - but a js or larger is a great option.

Anyways, long story...but what can I expect to be different from Carnival? We are looking going on Majesty of the Seas...

The demographic and experience is more similar than you think, especially for a short cruise. After all, CCL & RCCL are mass market cruise lines that cater to the same type of demographics.

Use the search feature, there are a ton of threads between both cruise lines and ships.

Thanks for the info everyone! To answer your questions: I'm 25, my brother is 23, and the twins are 21. We are looking for a short getaway to spend sometime together, since I live in Colorado and they live in Ohio. I'm looking for a 3-5 day cruise and $400 or less per person (including taxes and gratuities).

I was having some issues navigating the website last night to find cruise, but I'll give it a try again today.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at Explorer.

On a short cruise you're not going to notice a lot of differences. Both cruise lines use their oldest ships to do the three and four day itineraries. The biggest difference has been stated. The rooms on the Majesty will be smaller than that of Carnival but the ship is nicer. Crowds will be about the same as the shorter cruises usually draw the same crowds regardless of lines.

Where you will see a bigger difference between the two lines is with the larger ships. RCI gives you the WOW. Carnival not so much. What won me over to RCI after many years of cruising on Carnival were the ships, crew, how well RCI maintains their fleet and RCI actually shows that they care about their past guests. I found that Carnval could care less.

It's good to step out and try a new cruise line from time to time but you are not getting a true representation of RCI with the Majesty.

To answer your questions: I'm 25, my brother is 23, and the twins are 21.

$400 or less per person (including taxes and gratuities).

$400 or less is going to be hard to find with a 'newer' ship because they've all set sail for Europe in April/early May. You can save $$ by putting everyone in one room - lately the 3/4 person rates have been pretty low. Just a quick example, you can go May 7 on the Monarch in an Inside for $1275 or an Oceanview for $1400 total for all 4.

YES it will be snug and crowded but really... they shared a womb for 9 months so they can't complain!

YES it will a pain for the bathroom - but you all probably dealt with that for the first 18 yrs anyways.

YES 2 will have to sleep on pullman beds but i'm guessing ya probably had those at some point already!

BUT you are on a cruise, paid pretty much little or nothing for it and will have a great time :)

We had cruised with Carnival 5 times before having the opproyunity to take a 4 day work sponsored cruise on Majesty in 2005. We had just returned 4 months earlier from a 7 day Eastern on Carnival Victory. We were so impressed by the difrences of RCI- Entertainment and Guest services and the option of the evening buffet in Windjammer (I still love the layout/location of WJB on the front of the ship on Monarch and Majesty), that we made the switch to RCI and have cruised 3 times since with the fourth upcoming on Allure in February. Give RCI a try I think you will be pleased.

...but what can I expect to be different from Carnival? We are looking going on Majesty of the Seas...

Our DD was on staff on the Majesty a few yr's ago and I will try to get her to respond, in the mean time, Majesty is a much different Ship from what you see in the TV ad's, nice but different. She is older and the cabins are much smaller, and it does not have the 'fancy' stuff the newer Ships do. IMHO, you would be disappointed when comparing Her to the Ship you are sailing on with Carnival.

Our DD was on staff on the Majesty a few yr's ago and I will try to get her to respond, in the mean time, Majesty is a much different Ship from what you see in the TV ad's, nice but different. She is older and the cabins are much smaller, and it does not have the 'fancy' stuff the newer Ships do. IMHO, you would be disappointed when comparing Her to the Ship you are sailing on with Carnival.

While she has cruised on the Carnival Legend which is a nice ship, she is also cruising on the Sensation and having been on both the Majesty and Sensation, I would take the Majesty hands down. The Sensation is not an attractive ship (purple overload) at all the itinerary is even worse. Both ships are almost the same age. Majesty wins this one hands down.

Archived