first time in Hawaii-and with one year old daughter!

sweetchic

Anyone can give us ideas for excursions in Hawaii? We will be bringing one-year-old daughter, so child-safe seats required. We'd like activities we can do together as a family, so we won't go snorkelling. I guess we won't go on any vans. Thinking about renting a car but don't want to get lost on our vacation time to relax...

Going on Princess 14 day cruise in October...

Hilo, Hawaii 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Honolulu, Hawaii 7:00 AM- 11:00 PM

Kauai (Nawiliwili), Hawaii 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM

Maui (Lahaina), Hawaii 7:00AM-6 PM

It's pretty hard to get lost in Hawaii; not that big. Personally, with a one year old, I'd probably just go to the beach, or do other low key activities that aren't book through the ship.

You may want to get a guidebook for Hawaii that lists family friendly activites; there are many of them. Or, go to the Ports of Call section of this board and read through the posts there, or ask questions. Lots of info.

In Hilo, I'd rent a car and go to Volcano National Park. It's a very easy 30-45 minute drive. As 6rugrats said, it's pretty much impossible to get lost.

Maui and Kauai are good beach stops. I'd choose something else in Honolulu. There's a lot of different options there.

IMHO vacationing with a toddler or younger is always a challenge.

A nice thing about Hawaii is with just a car and driving around the coast one finds beautiful stops/sights everywhere. If one is willing to tag team than while at the beach things like snorkeling aren't out of the question. If you are fit and have a backpack carrier than a nice hike?

Anyone can give us ideas for excursions in Hawaii? We will be bringing one-year-old daughter, so child-safe seats required. We'd like activities we can do together as a family, so we won't go snorkelling. I guess we won't go on any vans. Thinking about renting a car but don't want to get lost on our vacation time to relax...

Going on Princess 14 day cruise in October...

Hilo, Hawaii 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Honolulu, Hawaii 7:00 AM- 11:00 PM

Kauai (Nawiliwili), Hawaii 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM

Maui (Lahaina), Hawaii 7:00AM-6 PM

My vote is to rent a car! It really is easy to get around the islands. We rented a car in Hilo and Kauai when we went. It was worth it!

We did a land trip to Maui last summer with our son who was 20 months at the time. We LOVED it!! Getting around Maui is very easy with a car, can't really get "lost". There are several beaches in the Wailea area with amazing snorkeling, few waves, and soft sand. There is also shopping and restaurants in Wailea. Great place for a toddler. There is also the Sugar Cane Train if you want to do a train ride. Kaanapali Beach also has shopping, restaurants and beach area, but I prefer Wailea which is more low key. Have a great time!!

Hilo is VERY easy to rent a car and go to Volcano National Park, the Dole Factory (we didn't do the tour, just wandered a bit) and, you can hit the Wal Mart on the way back and grab inexpensive souvenirs (they have a section for tourists) and any supplies you need for the rest of the trip. It's literally ONE road to the park and then Dole and Wal Mart are on the same road on the way back. The car rental place sends a van from the airport (which is right next to the port) to pick you up to rent the car and take you back after - can't be easier. There's a great walk through a rain-forest type area at the Volcano park that's actually fairly stroller friendly if you take a light stroller that you can carry up and down a few long staircases. We brought our car seats on the ship and they were not in the way at the bottom of our closet.

In Kauai we walked to the beach - also a stroller friendly walk and got there early to rent some beach chairs and umbrellas. There's also a casual outdoor restaurant where you can eat lunch.

Honolulu there's a trolley that takes you to the shopping mall. We also did the submarine ride, but probably would opt for a beach day next time.

That Princess cruise is one of our all-time favorites. It's nice because you'll be able to take your child into the kids area to play (as long as an adult is there).

We were not able to get into Maui because of poor conditions, so don't wait for Maui before getting any supplies you need for the return trip across the Pacific.

Best,

Mia

Kerry's Girls (Mia):

We've not heard about the Dole factory on the BI. Would you mind giving specifics? It would be fun to hit it for a whip next time we're staying in Hilo. Mahalo.

beachchick

You caught me! Thanks for the heads up. Forgive me everyone, I just looked and it's the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut factory. It's not worth a special trip, but since it's on the way back from the volcano we stopped and had some ice cream and wandered a little (didn't do the tour with little ones).

Best,

Mia

The Dole Factory is north of Honolulu. The tour around the "plantation" has become kinda of hokey since most of the sugar cane fields around Dole have been sold off for development. That said we cruised Hawaii when the kid was 4 y/o and Dole was a highlight for him.

On Maui there is a real nice Aquarium. If you have a GPS bring it along and rent cars on the islands. Parts of the islands are just as developed as any other state in the US. We even used the Home Depot for a potty stop going to the Aquarium. AAA has good maps and tour book for the islands. Also if you are a member of Costco bring your card; those are usually some of the cheapest places to fill up the rental cars.

If you are paying for a airplane seat for your 1 y/o check your car seat. Many, but not all are FAA approved for use in the airplane.

You caught me! Thanks for the heads up. Forgive me everyone' date=' I just looked and it's the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut factory. It's not worth a special trip, but since it's on the way back from the volcano we stopped and had some ice cream and wandered a little (didn't do the tour with little ones).

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Oh shoot! We rarely go to Oahu, so we rarely go to the plantation for a whip. It's one of those "stop on the way to somewhere" things for us. Having the option out of Hilo would have been great for on the way back to town. Ah well, there's always Big Island Candy.;)

beachchick

Archived